The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Cataclysm: My Opinions
It is no secret that CotH's quest for obtaining Cataclysm is a widely discussed topic. Now, I do not mean to mislead you. This post has little to do with said subject in regards to its process. However, all I wish to do is speak my opinion on the matter. I do not wish to start conflict and this is not a debate thread. (Do not fret, this is a positive post... Relatively.)

I think many would agree with me when I say that Cataclysm seemed cool when we first heard about it. Come launch date we bought it. Rolled a Goblin because we knew everyone would be rolling Worgen. We logged in and started playing. Hours pass and we have yet to leave the starting zone, but it's no biggie. Its fun right? But something seems wrong, the quests just get weirder and weirder and soon they become absolutely ridiculous. We become a Goblin weed whacker and a town explodes out of a box! So we get to box-town, fend off some Pigmy and begin to think: Okay, well, I've had enough of this for now. Lets try a Worgen! So we roll a Worgen, its pretty darn cool at first. But it slowly begins to merge into a depressing slum like the Goblin starter area did and the horribly done British voice acting just added to the depression. And it seems to drag on just about forever. We stop. We go ahead and start playing our mains again. Or possibly roll another Blood Elf or Human just to experience the new-formed Azeroth without having to go through the painful starter areas of the Worgen and Goblins. We play around but soon find out that it's suddenly much easier to get into a group for BG's and Dungeons. So the Q pops and you port to the BG, we play a round of WSG and port back only to find that we have leveled... Twice! And suddenly we now have enough honor to buy everything needed for a level 19 twink at level twelve! We think: Sweet! This is awesome! But we slowly begin to realize that it is just as easy for everyone else, so we get bored. We decide to do a dungeon. So that Q pops and we port to RFC. Seven minutes later we get a satchel of helpful goods and a few silvers and a fancy achievement-like thing! So we port out of the Dungeon and enjoy our loot for a few minutes, then the next Q pops. We think: Great! Another dungeon Q. After this one I can go quest! So we kill the boss and port out of the dungeon.

This process repeats itself until we are level 50 four hours later. We think to ourselves: Wow, I have never leveled this fast before! Awesome! So we log off, go to sleep, dream about Cataclysm and wake up the next morning before work or school just to play again for a few minutes.

We are now almost level 60 on our second day! We are making great progress! But we stop to think... What have we been doing for 50 levels? Oh, that's right. We've been standing in Stormwind or Orgrimmar between the bank, our class trainer and the auction house for convenience waiting for dungeon and BG Q's to pop. It has just occured to ourselves that we haven't even been out to see the new environments of Cataclysm! Because leveling by dungeon Q's is so much easier than doing Quests. Plus, if we went anywhere we'd have to run all the way back to train our new abilities when we level up again in five minutes.

We think to ourselves Meh, no problem. I'm sure it gets better at 80-85. So we keep doing dungeons and soon we realize: Wait, everyone in my group is on another server... We begin to realize that dungeons just aren't the same anymore. We don't have that fun feeling we used to when we've been in LFG for three hours trying to get a group together and we finally have our tank, healer and DPS, but wait. Someone has to be at the summoning stone! So two of the players run to the instance and half an hour later we get in! The instance lasts maybe an hour, (because we weren't overly OP, getting blues from every single quest and boss in a dungeon finder.) We were actually wearing greens! We felt so accomplished when we defeated Herod and all those Scarlet guys that come running in at the end! No. Instead we group with people we don't even know and won't even meet again after this dungeon. We begin to think: What happened?

Well, in summary. The game's too easy and we miss BC!

Now, to the real point. I feel that Cataclysm is totally wrong for WoW PvE-wise. It's decent I guess for PvP and it completely sucks for dungeons. However, I do feel that Cataclysm is the best thing that could have happened for RP. We have the war between the Horde and the Alliance fueled to a greater degree than ever before. We have Mount Hyjal and Nordrassil to finally RP in. Almost every zone has something awesome going on. Should I even mention Gilneas? It will probably be the new Booty Bay when we switch over.

The reason I decided to make this post was because I watched this video on YouTube and thought to myself: This is awesome... (Be sure to hover over the video to see the annotations and to begin your journey into post apocalyptic Azeroth.) Beer
Chieftain Muyoh Wolftotem - Chieftain of the Wolftotem Tribe
(08-08-2011, 10:00 PM)Stormgald Wrote: Well, in summary. The game's too easy and we miss BC!

[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Eh. Vanilla and BC were over rated.
Besides, you can do the quests around Azeroth, you know.
It's not the game's fault that you decided to just do dungeons.

That and finding groups before was the most pain in the ass thing I could imagine. Except if you were a tank. So it was a breeze for me. I happen to like my instaqueue. And the ability to do what I want. :3

And no. Neither Vanilla nor BC was ever hard. Just tedious at times but never hard.
Wait. . .

. . . You mean WoW is used for something other than RP?

o.O
(08-08-2011, 10:47 PM)Binkleheimer Wrote: Eh. Vanilla and BC were over rated.
Besides, you can do the quests around Azeroth, you know.
It's not the game's fault that you decided to just do dungeons.

That and finding groups before was the most pain in the ass thing I could imagine. Except if you were a tank. So it was a breeze for me. I happen to like my instaqueue. And the ability to do what I want. :3

And no. Neither Vanilla nor BC was ever hard. Just tedious at times but never hard.

This, this, and more this. Though I will say I wish some Vanilla-BC stuff would make a come back (like raids that are more than just instances for 25 players). I'd rather quest than use dungeon finder.

Anyway, I also look forward to Cata RP when we get it.

Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(08-08-2011, 10:47 PM)Binkleheimer Wrote: And no. Neither Vanilla nor BC was ever hard. Just tedious at times but never hard.

I disagree. I admit it was tedious, but that, in turn, made it harder. But not only that, we weren't running around in full Rare and epic gear until level 60-70. :3 So, that, in turn, also makes it more difficult to kill things. All stats were substantially lower. Most NPCs had more health (at the lower levels.) And such.

Plus, 1-85 is almost ten times easier now than it was to level from 1-60 in Vanilla. Not just because it was harder to travel and to sell things on the AH, but because the XP required to level was substantially higher.

Chieftain Muyoh Wolftotem - Chieftain of the Wolftotem Tribe
Wait, you're acting like goblins wouldn't do -weird- things?

I never saw a problem with the goblin quests. I don't think you really need to apply logic to the race that seems to have always been the comedic relief.
So, what you're saying is: getting a group after waiting at least 5 hours, then having someone quit the group after they didn't get the desired loot, is a good thing?
[Image: djuraz.jpg]
(08-08-2011, 11:00 PM)BountyHunter Wrote: Wait. . .

o.O
Liked.
(08-08-2011, 11:00 PM)BountyHunter Wrote: Wait. . .

o.O

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKMYiG15nI[/youtube]
Eh.

I don't like Cataclysm for a multitude of reasons.

However, this isn't a debate thread, so I'll save you all the trouble.
Then why do you like Wrath of the Lich King ?
Why like World of Warcraft, then? *rolls eyes*
(08-09-2011, 05:37 AM)13kira13 Wrote: Then why do you like Wrath of the Lich King ?
Why like World of Warcraft, then? *rolls eyes*

Because what I like in the first games isn't in Cataclysm.

However, as I said earlier, this isn't a debate thread. I'm not going to post in here again.
I'll just say that man is afraid of what is new. And man dislikes what he fears. And disliking turns into hate, sooner or later. It's natural, and it's been that way since the dawn of time.
Spoiler:
And don't "I am no man" me.
(08-09-2011, 12:36 AM)Stormgald Wrote: Plus, 1-85 is almost ten times easier now than it was to level from 1-60 in Vanilla. Not just because it was harder to travel and to sell things on the AH, but because the XP required to level was substantially higher.

actually....

1-60 has the same rates,
60-70 has 20% reduced I believe
70-80 has 10% reduced
80-85 has enough experience for ten levels, but made the requirement so high per level that they mashed it into five.

I'm of the opinion that cat a has only made the game more enjoyable, especially for first-timers (A.K.A. Cata babies)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Returning Player - from before Cataclysm ghaskan 6 1,510 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Cataclysm and when we are in it. Thoradin 7 1,854 07-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Nikodemos
  Cataclysm and TRP2 SachikoMaeda 11 2,703 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Maarten
  Characters of Cataclysm! Hawk 36 6,672 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Sol
  A Matter of Life And Death (Cataclysm Forsaken Questions) Sol 4 1,370 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Dae