The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

That There Law
Yes, I know my title is awful. Titles are hard. QQ

Hello everyone!

Here I come with a bit of input. It has lately come to our (the GM team's) attention that there's quite a few situations arising surrounding the roleplay and OOC environment on the Lawless Island which seem to spark conflict and drama. And in the light of this, we've chosen to write down a few words of wisdom for y'all.

Kickin' down the law!
'NOTHER DAY IN A LAWLESS TOWN
Let's start this off somewhere. A rather recent addition to the server was, as most of you know, the Lawless town (using Alcaz Island). While a rather interesting idea in it's core, it seems it has sparked more drama and conflict than was originally intended. To be blunt, there have been complaints of abuse of the supposed "freedom" that this island has offered to everyone stepping onto it. There are no written laws and no formal enforcement, which makes this place a magnet for all the no-good-ers out there. This has led to massive amounts of death and armed conflict. Granted, nothing against armed conflicts. They happen even in enforced towns. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind before you draw your weapon even in a place such as this.
  • => DEATH AND KILLING ~ Giving perspective to killing.
A place without law is a place without personal safety. Granted, you could probably find ways of making yourself feel safe in a place like that, but there is no law to protect you. There is no safety net, if something should happen to you. Therefor, it's common sense to face the risk of dying when stepping onto an isolated island ruled by total anarchy and nothing else. It's a primal social order of "survival of the fittest", in the end. Accidents will happen. People will make dire mistakes that might or will get them killed somehow, sometime. Let's face it. Anarchy attracts the people who benefit from it. Be it drug dealers, slave masters, necromancers, assassins or other shady figures whose activities could be considered less than legal.

However! Just because there's a lack of written law and formal enforcement doesn't mean a guy can realistically prance about and do as he pleases. You're at the mercy of the guy next to you. Literally. If you decide to step onto the island and take someone's life (or attempt to), there's nothing stopping anyone else from getting back at you for doing it. Not everyone would be phased by this, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. If you attempt murder, regardless of success, don't be surprised when you're targeted next by someone else.

Give more thought to the deed before finishing it. While it's not something your character necessarily considers, when you kill someone you effectively kill someone else's work of art. Of course, they are always allowed to come back a week later through our resurrection policies, but there's been a trend going about lately that has made character death very, very common. Troublingly so, in some cases. The World of Warcraft is rather cruel and it shouldn't be a surprise that people die, but it seems that people have started going out of their way to kill other peoples' characters. This can grow rather tiresome for the players of the victims, and I'm sure that's understandable. While people may argue that you shouldn't put your characters in situations they won't handle, you as a fellow player must take a step back and ponder your own course of action as well. Sometimes killing a character simply isn't the ideal solution, ICly or OOCly. It's a very major event in a character's life, and it may very well halt or completely ruin ongoing storylines that the character was involved in. Given consent of the player, you're free to go ahead. Of course. However, there have been many cases where refusal to submit to character death has been met with heated arguments.
  • [ Think of other ways! ] ~ Is death really the necessary outcome? Can you make something interesting out of it that doesn't involve death on any part? There's character development in almost everything (even death, granted!). If the player of the victim would rather see another solution, there are tons of options for what you can do. Even the ruthless killer could be lenient if you really wanted him to, OOCly. Torture, kidnapping for ransom, enslaving... There are many possible ways of making the experience something valuable for all your characters involved without it leading to anyone being killed. As a fellow player, be understanding and discuss the outcome of the situation until you reach a mutual agreement. If there is resistance to character death, avoid continuing to argue for it. In the end, it's their character and their fate is ultimately up to them. Instead of making a fuss about it, though, both parties should submit to discussion on peaceful terms. That way, a solution that works for both is easier to find. If you still cannot come to an agreement, don't hesitate to ask for help from, say, a GM. We're available to mediate disagreements if they occur.

Give Character Death/Killing a wee bit more thought. Discuss. Come to an agreement. Consider the options. Especially in a place such as the Lawless Island, where death is a likely thing to happen. And, having touched that, I believe it's time to move on to a most related subject:
  • => CHARACTER WARNINGS ~ It seems they will need some clarification!
So what is a Character Warning? Let's start there, since it's rather fundamental. A Character Warning is a, well, warning that is issued when any kind of harm (lethal or not) that may negatively affect a character (physical or mental) has a risk of befalling them if they continue further into a flagged situation. At least, this was what they were initially intended to be. How you issue this warning is up to you, though there is not really a rule stating that you have to issue a warning. It's a courtesy, however, and an "unwritten law". Regardless. There have been many cases where Character Warnings have been a cause for heated arguments and drama. Be it how they were issued, how they were later treated, how the player walking into a CW situation was treated... It has, in short, been the cause for many a headache for many people in the community. I thought I'd give some input on how the Character Warnings could and should be treated.

A Character Warning isn't as simple as simply saying "Character Warning, <Character Name>" in the /General channel in the zone you're currently in. While you're not obliged to say anything more than that, it would be a common courtesy to open discussion with the player whose character you are issuing a warning against. Discuss exactly what the warning entails and what consequences may possibly befall them if they choose to proceed with whatever they were doing, or walking into the flagged situation. It's the responsibility of the player whose character has a warning issued against them to take up the discussion if the other party doesn't initiate it. In truth, the responsibility falls on both parties, should the situation turn into an OOC conflict later. But I just wish to clarify that the "victims" or "targets" of the Character Warnings don't escape responsibility if things don't go well OOCly, as such has been misconcieved in the past.

There is no such thing as "refusing a Character Warning". A warning is a warning and not an absolute. Another player issuing a warning are simply giving you a heads-up that there's a risk of something happening to your character, or of someone attempting to cause your character harm. If you don't wish to let this happen, then you will need to avoid getting yourself in a situation that lets this happen to your character. Even if you choose to walk into a flagged situation, that doesn't mean your character has automatically submitted to whatever fate the opposing players has in store for you. It simply means something may be attempted against your character, and this is something everyone should keep in mind. Just because someone has "accepted a Character Warning", it doesn't mean you are given permission to do whatever you wish to their characters and they automatically have to accept the consequences.

While a player and their character should always be ready to accept the consequences of their actions, it still does not give you as an opposing player free reigns with another player's characters unless they expressively tell you so. It's their character, and you do not have any control over it whatsoever. That's what it'll eventually boil down to.

Of course, any player is always welcome to report any abuse of the "safety net" that the Character Warnings actually do offer for both parties involved. Most kinds of abuse of this "safety net" will quickly branch into metagaming or godmoding. Both of which are against the rules of the server. I will say it again. Don't hesitate to call in a GM if a problem arises and you can't seem to reach an agreement or solution on your own.
Good stuff.
Life is full of thing that nobody notices until it's truly gone.

[Image: 8.jpg]
Excellent post Loxxybox. :)

Very nice, and it needed to be said.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Good OOC guidelines!
˜★Sketch Blog
This needed to be done one day, and I'm glad it was a GM who did it. Thank you, Loxxybox. /hug
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
Indeed, this needed to be done, good read even though my characters don't even go to the lawless island. Thanks Loxxy!
Spoiler:

'Whats your LuckyDo?'

Desperate for some rp? Try the resident of OOC for a change!

http://www.conquestofthehorde.com/Thread-I-can-has-rp

Mind, this doesn't only apply to the Lawless Island. Any and all advice about Character Death and Character Warnings would apply everywhere else, as well.
I suppose this is one of those prevalent GM conflict situations, buuut-

Grakor Wrote:
Anski Wrote:To reiterate what I had told you in game nigh ten minutes ago;

Character Warnings are given out before any physical conflict or endangerment of characters. This includes serious injury and death. The option is, that players can either consent or not consent to death. Those who are already pushing into conflict may choose to be knocked out but not killed, or they may simply leave the situation without question or quarrel. When they are given out through the OOC channels, they are warnings that whatever the character is doing to the other is pushing them to seriously injure them. Those that continue such things without agreeing on being only knocked out void the warning by having their character in danger of their own hand. I give out character warnings before conflict, those who wish to not engage in such actions can simply leave or be knocked out as agreed upon.

Pretty much.

On a related note, one also can not "permanently" kill a character, even with character warnings. In essence, a killer can't deny someone their option to resurrect a character. That choice is up to the character's owner.

There are two specific instances where I consider a character warning automatically agreed on. The first is if the character does something obviously and monumentally stupid (I charge alone into ten armed players for giggles.) The second is if the character is defeated, but continues to trash talk or act as if he had not (in which case death is the only logical ending for such a character.)

This sort of looks contradictory, but then, I haven't slept in over twenty-four hours, so really could be wrong. Dunno, but I'm not sure which is canon. Most seem to follow Anski/Grakor's ruling on it, far as I've seen. Those who use character warnings, anyhows.[/quote]
Quote:While a player and their character should always be ready to accept the consequences of their actions, it still does not give you as an opposing player free reigns with another player's characters unless they expressively tell you so.
and
Quote:Of course, any player is always welcome to report any abuse of the "safety net" that the Character Warnings actually do offer for both parties involved.

If you walk into a situation and continue to drive it on so the only logical outcome would be serious injury or death, you need to be ready to face the consequences of that. If you don't wish for your character to be terminally injured, then the first thing you should do is avoid putting it in that kind of situation. Otherwise, come to an agreement with the opposing player. As an opposing player to someone who plays like in Jason's examples... You need to open up conversation as well. If you so require...
Quote:I will say it again. Don't hesitate to call in a GM if a problem arises and you can't seem to reach an agreement or solution on your own.
I love you Loxxy <3.
No seriously, thanks for putting this up. And I'm glad that you asked for my point of view on this.
I <3 You! Totally agree with it all, and glad its kind of an official reminder now. :)
This is a terrible post.

The author should be ashamed of herself.

She is a nub.

This post does not help CotH at all, and is unnecessary.

I am most certainly not saying the opposite of what I actually think.

Spoiler:
[Image: troll-face_design.png]
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
GENERIC AGREE COMMENT!
I like this post, mainly the coverage of the Character Warnings and such. Now, if only the entirety of the CotH server would come and read this. I got Character Warning last night in BB for being a kind, considerate old man. REALLY?! -.-

PS: Go Loxy!