The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Off-hand Shields... because shields are cool.
I don't oft' post on the forums, certainly not nearly as much as I should, but I'll make remarks on things I feel strongly about.

I suggest non-shield off-hand shields, so all classes can use a shield. This would certainly be nice for the Death Knight that prefers to use a one-hand weapon and a shield, or even a hunter that prefers to have a small shield, but cannot do so because of game mechanics and/or balancing issues. It wouldn't be restricted to the two example classes, obviously, as any class could actually use the shield if they so choose. I was just throwing suggestions out there.

Thanks for readin' my suggestion.
Characters:
Spoiler:
Kilik Sunstep - Sin'dorei - Demon Hunter - Somewhere in the northern Kalimdor.
Chance Stone - Human - Warrior - Somewhere in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Tara Fairbanks - Human - Mage - Somewhere in Dalaran.

Liek.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
Shields certainly are cool, and it takes skill to use one effectively. True, anyone can strap a piece of wood/metal onto their arms but it actually does take practice to maneuver around with one and use it effectively.

But Death Knights being able to use shields makes sense to me.
Like.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
The idea appeals, but why not take it a step further?

Make it one-hand, not off-hand.
kindle135 Wrote:Shields certainly are cool, and it takes skill to use one effectively. True, anyone can strap a piece of wood/metal onto their arms but it actually does take practice to maneuver around with one and use it effectively.

But Death Knights being able to use shields makes sense to me.

It's really up to the player to roleplay how well they'll use the shield. I'd like to hope every mage isn't running around with a thirty pound shield.
Characters:
Spoiler:
Kilik Sunstep - Sin'dorei - Demon Hunter - Somewhere in the northern Kalimdor.
Chance Stone - Human - Warrior - Somewhere in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Tara Fairbanks - Human - Mage - Somewhere in Dalaran.

One handed would be terribly redundant. Shield only work one way and if you used them in your main hand, they'd be backwards.
BountyHunter Wrote:...they'd be backwards.
Wasn't aware of this caveat.

Otherwise, I'd be very interested in seeing shields free to use in the right hand.
I dislike this for the following reasons:

~A Hunter wouldn't use a Shield as they have a completely different IC skillset.
~A DK was mass-produced for pure offensive capabilities, thus they would not have the knowledge of shields and how to use them.
~A Mage would rather use an Arcane shield/Mana shield than a physical, cumbersome one. Moreover, a physical shield, just like armor, impedes casting. So, while using a shield, Arcane casting would be -quite- off. Same with Armor. That is why Magi don't wear armor. Not even Battlemagi.
~A Warlock would fit into the above.
~A Priest using shields? We have Paladins for that.
~Rogues and Shields don't mix. Maybe a Swashbuckling pirate, yeah, but those are Warrior-types, not Rogues.

...Druids are the only ones that -would- make sense to have shields. As Shamans get them too.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Personally, bucklers are so small I think many classes can use them. Of course, Blizzard has a policy of making everything as huge as possible so...I don't know about bucklers here.

Nice wiki article on shields.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Quote:~A DK was mass-produced for pure offensive capabilities, thus they would not have the knowledge of shields and how to use them.

You forget that the majority of Death Knights were Paladins/Warriors pre-death.
flammos200 Wrote:I dislike this for the following reasons:

~A Hunter wouldn't use a Shield as they have a completely different IC skillset.
~A DK was mass-produced for pure offensive capabilities, thus they would not have the knowledge of shields and how to use them.
~A Mage would rather use an Arcane shield/Mana shield than a physical, cumbersome one. Moreover, a physical shield, just like armor, impedes casting. So, while using a shield, Arcane casting would be -quite- off. Same with Armor. That is why Magi don't wear armor. Not even Battlemagi.
~A Warlock would fit into the above.
~A Priest using shields? We have Paladins for that.
~Rogues and Shields don't mix. Maybe a Swashbuckling pirate, yeah, but those are Warrior-types, not Rogues.

...Druids are the only ones that -would- make sense to have shields. As Shamans get them too.

I disagree.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
I like it better, when weapon types can be used by all races. What stops a priest from using a axe, I mean really?

Personally I think all classes should be able to use any weapon.

Just like it was pre-restart I believe.
I've always wanted to have dual-shields. <3
Jurkey Wrote:I've always wanted to have dual-shields. <3

It wouldn't work like this. See, on my old private server, there were items we could get. This and this. If you look on the pages, you can see that they're named (Left) and (Right) respectively. However, if you would put the left hand in your right hand, or vice versa, then the small bowl-thing that protects your hands would be facing inside. The same thing would happen with shields. All items have a face-in or face-out command, which is why you rarely see one-hand weapons that don't look the same if you split it in half down the middle. Shields face out, so if you dual wielded shields, you'd have one facing in, one facing out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tyr's Hand Osvaldas 3 1,557 11-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Caravan
  One-hand books? Psychyn 2 920 06-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Last Post: BeepBoop
  Learning Shields Aphetoros 3 888 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Psychyn
  Off-hand items. Aphetoros 3 829 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros