The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Hammerspace, and it's users.
Hammerspace.

Hammerspace is basically making something much larger on the inside than it appears to be on the outside. I have been told that Mages can all use Hammerspace and not just Archmagi. My question now is...can all Arcane users, former and present, use it? Would a former mage turned to Warlockery be capable of using Hammerspace? Could a Necromancer use Hammerspace?

My next question is simple: What are the limitations of Hammerspace? Could you make a small cottage have the inside height and width of a mansion? Could you make a penny-purse have the inside size of ten large burlap sacks? Is the space you can manipulate endless? Or are there limitations on this?
I believe these are valid questions, and questions that haven't been answered properly in the past. So please people, hit me with your best shots.

And another small added question as to types of Hammerspace and users...
Death Knights. They can summon armor from the Shadow Realm, and make death gates to travel through it. Would it be possible for Death knights to have some form of -permanent- link to the shadow realm? A ring of metal that they can use as a portal to the Shadow Realm? A bag connected to it?
Lets hear it, I'd love to find out if Hammerspace is allowed. I've read nothing that says it isn't, so I'd assume it is up for debate, if not already decided that it is allowed.
Such a thing is the basis of Arcane magic, which Necromancers and Warlocks are very much forsaken from. As for hammerspace, it would be presumed infinite, yet could not be continually stationed like making a house larger on the inside, without a mage continually standing there and focusing it to happen. As for bags, the way I use hammerspace on Ivan is that he has a vault in Ironforge Underground that he connects to a bag every time it opens through a portal.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
In my opinion, Hammerspace isn't an organisational mass of items, it is simply 'I want this and I pull it out of a bag'. Houses are very structural things, Hammerspace isn't made for such complexity. Not like you could even pull a house out of a bag physically anyway, heh.
I've heard Necromancers do in fact use Arcane, but eh. I have no problem with these answers, thanks folks! Although I do still question Death Knights and the shadow realms. Anyone got something for this?

And Anski, I do not mean something continually held at all. I mean...when the caster is -trying- to, the Hammerspace is opened. But if he so decides so, it closes and returns the item being used to it's original size. I brought up the house because I thought it would be quite possible for a mage to manipulate Hammerspace on a small home. For instance, he opens the door and there is an entire entrance hall. He closes the door upon entering. Some one attempts to follow. They open the door, and both the mage and the entrance hall are gone and replaced by a small fireplace, a table and a few chairs as would be normal for a house of it's size.

[Edit] I meant Anski, not Rigley....Very sorry Anski, I just find Rigley to be cooler is all.
If you're talking about going into Hammerspace like that, no. I do not believe it to be possible for humanoids to enter Hammerspace and survive.
*Points at Anski, and Ivan.* I've read over everything she has for Ivan's prestige story, and in it he does enter a tower being held in Hammerspace by an Archmage. But I don't really mind either way.
Okay, maybe it is possible. Still, Archmage.
Hammerspace would be tricky business for most mages. First it needs to be created, which would probably require some clever use of the arcane, second it needs to be maintained. I believe most mages with mediocre Arcane experience could apply Hammerspace to something small like a chest a sack or a hat. But having a an enite home in hammerspace would be reserved to very powerfull magi only.
I asked about this in game once, to which some one responded "Yes. All mages can use Hammerspace, and they do so frequently." So I assumed Hammerspace in most degrees was open to all Mages, Arrillion. But oh well.
Anski Wrote:Such a thing is the basis of Arcane magic, which Necromancers and Warlocks are very much forsaken from. As for hammerspace, it would be presumed infinite, yet could not be continually stationed like making a house larger on the inside, without a mage continually standing there and focusing it to happen. As for bags, the way I use hammerspace on Ivan is that he has a vault in Ironforge Underground that he connects to a bag every time it opens through a portal.

Quote:Necromancers are mortal practitioners of death magic, commonly referred to as necromancy. Channeling their knowledge of the arcane into manipulation of the forces of life and death

This is going to sound angry. But. Where do you people keep getting that necromancers don't use the arcane? Warlocks don't, sure, but necromancers do, they do it all the time and I have several examples.

Quote:Necromancers twist arcane magic to manipulate the power of death.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Also, I must argue about Warlocks. One could say they use a more powerful form of Arcane than Arcane Mages do. Fel is, literally, the most deadly form of Arcane. Granted, it doesn't operate in the same fashion as Fire or Frost Arcane, but it is still Arcane.

Quote: This energy, which most commonly manifests itself as ghastly, green-yellow flame, is arcane magic at its most corrupt

Warlocks haven't forsaken Arcane; they have embraced a stronger form of it.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
Thank you all for the explanations, especially you Aphetoros. You are now more awesome in my official guide to awesomeness. Although no one has answered my question about a constantly upheld connection to the Shadow Realm for a DK.
I'd like to don my own giraffe arcane expert cap, for a moment here.

There's no such thing as "Fire or frost arcane." - Arcane is a single form of energy, and the summoning of fire or frost belong both to a single and same school - evocation. This is why a mage can swap so easly from the "Frost" to the "Fire" specialization, for example, the high elves of Quel'thalas changed from using frost magic to fire magic once they became blood elves.

Second. Fel is more volatile. This is likely among the greatest misconception of all between fel and arcane. Fel magic isn't greater than arcane in power, simply in corruption, and in a sense, speed - for a warlock will achieve mastery of fel years before a mage achieves mastery of arcane, due to the nature of the pact between the demons and the living creatures they manipulate. A warlock's spells are, however, twisted by the very magic they employ. They cannot cast spells of the same nature as mages, for they do not use nor channel the same -energy- as mages. Their addiction for fel is something that Arcane couldn't -ever- satisfy, even for a -brief- moment. It'd be like a druid using the Light.

Third. Necromancy is merely another school of arcane. It takes no greater abjuration of your magic spells to master it, and necromancer is as much of a special title as "evoker" is to a mage that mastery the school of evocation, or "Illusionist" to a mage that mastered the school of illusionism.
Henceforth, a necromancer should have access to a mage's spells, if the necromancer in question was a mage and not a warlock to begin with.

Fourth, lest I'll be accused of derailing. Hammerspace would be a mix of the transmutation, illusion and enchantment main schools, and the teleportation sub school. To a building, it could basically be composed of creating an illusion in a small building so it seems like you're entering the small building in question when you're actually teleported to a bigger one somewhere else - that's where the schools come in place. To a bag, it can be enchanted to minimize the size of any item that enters it, and maximize the size of any items that leaves, thus increasing the size, or teleport the items to a vault or storage, as Anski said before.

Everything stated above is simply my own opinion. Do not sue. Please. Here's a cookie.
Aphetoros Wrote:
Anski Wrote:Such a thing is the basis of Arcane magic, which Necromancers and Warlocks are very much forsaken from. As for hammerspace, it would be presumed infinite, yet could not be continually stationed like making a house larger on the inside, without a mage continually standing there and focusing it to happen. As for bags, the way I use hammerspace on Ivan is that he has a vault in Ironforge Underground that he connects to a bag every time it opens through a portal.

Quote:Necromancers are mortal practitioners of death magic, commonly referred to as necromancy. Channeling their knowledge of the arcane into manipulation of the forces of life and death

This is going to sound angry. But. Where do you people keep getting that necromancers don't use the arcane? Warlocks don't, sure, but necromancers do, they do it all the time and I have several examples.

Quote:Necromancers twist arcane magic to manipulate the power of death.

Ok, I was mistaken, but you could have said it without the big letters to be a jerk.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal/Public Status of Shadow Users c0rzilla 28 7,222 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  Sensitivity, emotion and the users of CotH Dae 23 4,132 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Rowgen