The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Ask the Creative Devs #2 Lore
I got this link from Kretol, but it's an interesting read for any lore junkies out there:

http://www.wowheadnews.com/blog=191297/a...ive-devs-2

Highlighting some of the more interesting bits...

Quote:Q: Are the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG books considered canon?

A: No. The RPG books were created to provide an engaging table-top role-playing experience, which sometimes required diverging from the established video game canon. Blizzard helped generate a great deal of the content within the RPG books, so there will be times when ideas from the RPG will make their way into the game and official lore, but you are much better off considering the RPG books non-canonical unless otherwise stated.

Rather expected, though it raises the question on if we'll ever see things like Runemasters ever addressed in official lore.

Quote:Q: Why do blood elves still have green eyes?

A: Corruption from fel energies takes a long time to wear off. It's why most orcs are still green even though Mannoroth is dead.

The "wear off" part seems to indirectly imply that blood elf eye and orc skin colors will return to normal over time (probably many generations.)

Quote:Q: Why are gnomes suddenly interested in the Light?

A: The gnomes have had an interest in the Light since they joined the Alliance, but they were so focused on technology and, later, the retaking of Gnomeregan that studying the Light didn't feel necessary to them; the dwarven priests and paladins of Ironforge served as the only connection to the Light they needed. Now that the gnomes have reclaimed a foothold in Gnomeregan and begun rebuilding their culture outside of Ironforge, however, they've recognized the importance of having followers of the Light in their own ranks. In addition, researching new methods of purifying irradiated gnomes has led to radical advances in Light-based technology!

So gnome priests in Cata are legit.

Quote:Q: Is Elune a naaru?

A: During a recent visit to Darnassus by Velen, he explained that the kaldorei's description of Elune, as well as the demonstrated powers of the goddess, matched his experiences with powerful naaru. He began to offer advice regarding how to commune with powerful naaru, but Tyrande thanked him for his opinion, then cordially requested that he refrain from making such outlandish claims when in Darnassus or in the presence of Elune's priesthood.

I find this one funny because it's still speculated, and the answer didn't actually tell us one way or another. It seems to mean that the draenei THINK that Elune is a naaru, but the night elves believe she's not.

Quote:Q: When undead use or are healed by the Holy Light, does it cause them any actual damage or harm, or does it only cause them pain (in addition to the intended effects of the spell)?

A: Channeling the Light in any way, or receiving healing from the Light, only causes pain. Forsaken priests do not disintegrate or explode from channeling the Light for an extended period of time… though they may wish they would.

We got a Word of God bit earlier about how undead can wield/be affected by holy magic just fine, but this confirms it. More interesting is...

Quote:Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

Interesting implications for anyone playing a Forsaken actually loyal to the Light.

Quote:Q: Are blood elf death knights still afflicted by their racial addiction to magic?

A: No, though their new addiction, the one all Ebon Blade death knights possess, is arguably worse: the need to inflict pain. If death knights do not regularly inflict agony upon another creature, they begin to suffer wracking pains that could drive them into a mindless, blood-seeking hysteria—a far worse fate than that of those who suffer from arcane withdrawal.

Confirmation that DKs free from the Lich King still feel the hunger.

Overall, interesting stuff.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
(06-23-2011, 02:08 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
Quote:Q: Why are gnomes suddenly interested in the Light?

A: The gnomes have had an interest in the Light since they joined the Alliance, but they were so focused on technology and, later, the retaking of Gnomeregan that studying the Light didn't feel necessary to them; the dwarven priests and paladins of Ironforge served as the only connection to the Light they needed. Now that the gnomes have reclaimed a foothold in Gnomeregan and begun rebuilding their culture outside of Ironforge, however, they've recognized the importance of having followers of the Light in their own ranks. In addition, researching new methods of purifying irradiated gnomes has led to radical advances in Light-based technology!

Does this suggest Technopriests(As Technomage), are doable?
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
(06-23-2011, 02:14 PM)flammos200 Wrote: Does this suggest Technopriests(As Technomage), are doable?

Keep in mind, the lore doesn't suggest Technomage is doable either, as it's a prestige and thus a construct of the d20...which was just called not canonical. That said, I'm not sure. It's possible, but I wouldn't suggest trying it until after Cata, when gnome and goblin priests are available and this becomes more likely.
This was an interesting read. I giggled at the "Elune being a Naaru" part.

"DON'T BE BRINGING THAT PAGAN CRAP ALL UP IN MY JOINT, VELEN."
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
(06-23-2011, 02:08 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
Quote:Q: Is Elune a naaru?

A: During a recent visit to Darnassus by Velen, he explained that the kaldorei's description of Elune, as well as the demonstrated powers of the goddess, matched his experiences with powerful naaru. He began to offer advice regarding how to commune with powerful naaru, but Tyrande thanked him for his opinion, then cordially requested that he refrain from making such outlandish claims when in Darnassus or in the presence of Elune's priesthood.

I find this one funny because it's still speculated, and the answer didn't actually tell us one way or another. It seems to mean that the draenei THINK that Elune is a naaru, but the night elves believe she's not.

Salsh'alei would rage so hard.
Another interesting implication that was discussed on GMI and over vent...

Living DKs. With the d20 out the window, the main explanation for them to exist no longer is valid. Other lore bits prior to this all implied that Blizzard seems to want Ebon Blade DKs to all be undead, so there doesn't seem to be any support for this possibility anymore.

On the other hand, DKs are treated in a similar manner to how most settings treat vampires. They're technically undead, but they're not rotting and seem to be more physically functional than other forms of undead are (like Forsaken.)
Quote:
Quote:Q: When undead use or are healed by the Holy Light, does it cause them any actual damage or harm, or does it only cause them pain (in addition to the intended effects of the spell)?

A: Channeling the Light in any way, or receiving healing from the Light, only causes pain. Forsaken priests do not disintegrate or explode from channeling the Light for an extended period of time… though they may wish they would.

We got a Word of God bit earlier about how undead can wield/be affected by holy magic just fine, but this confirms it. More interesting is...

Quote:Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

Interesting implications for anyone playing a Forsaken actually loyal to the Light.

Ohey!

Awesome.
So this wiping of the d20 is being used to destroy much of the fun lore.

... *sadface*
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(06-23-2011, 04:35 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: Another interesting implication that was discussed on GMI and over vent...

Living DKs. With the d20 out the window, the main explanation for them to exist no longer is valid. Other lore bits prior to this all implied that Blizzard seems to want Ebon Blade DKs to all be undead, so there doesn't seem to be any support for this possibility anymore.

On the other hand, DKs are treated in a similar manner to how most settings treat vampires. They're technically undead, but they're not rotting and seem to be more physically functional than other forms of undead are (like Forsaken.)

I brought that up!
/proud

But!

Lichborne also says you "turn" into an undead. I know taking the skill description too literally isn't good for you, but it's still something to consider.

In the end, we still end up in the in-between. Or do we?

(Then again, maybe a new thread should be made regarding this particular discussion or not as the staff sees fit)
(06-23-2011, 04:35 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: Another interesting implication that was discussed on GMI and over vent...

I heard somewhere when I first joined that that was because of the Necromantic magic. Like how Blood Magic heals more seriously, this just heals them lightly and keeps them from rotting. Or the magic and/or armor they wore keeps the bugss off, whereas most Undead had a loincloth, if anything, while under Arthas.
(06-23-2011, 02:35 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
(06-23-2011, 02:14 PM)flammos200 Wrote: Does this suggest Technopriests(As Technomage), are doable?

Keep in mind, the lore doesn't suggest Technomage is doable either, as it's a prestige and thus a construct of the d20...which was just called not canonical. That said, I'm not sure. It's possible, but I wouldn't suggest trying it until after Cata, when gnome and goblin priests are available and this becomes more likely.

Technomage isn't doable? What? Why not?
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Reread what I said, I explained what I meant in the part you quoted.
(06-23-2011, 05:09 PM)Uthaniel Wrote: I brought that up!
/proud

But!

Lichborne also says you "turn" into an undead. I know taking the skill description too literally isn't good for you, but it's still something to consider.

In the end, we still end up in the in-between. Or do we?

(Then again, maybe a new thread should be made regarding this particular discussion or not as the staff sees fit)

I'm pretty certain that's because all players are classed under 'Humanoid' for PvP purposes. If Lichborne works the way I think it does so it changes your racial tag to 'Undead' while in use.

My theory is that it's pretty much just used for PvP and things as such.
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Help with Blood Elven lore wsemler 4 1,097 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Reigen
  Creative Writing: Contest! Cressy 46 8,100 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Upcoming Lore FAQ Grakor456 31 4,943 04-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Brutalskars
  Lore joke/seriousness. muhaha8 0 717 03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Last Post: muhaha8