The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Death knight voices.
Now! I'm sure you're all wondering what's this about and so on... I'll tell you! Have you ever wondered what a Death Knight's voice sounds like? It's a double-voiced thing with a -very- cold tone...

Now, i'm sure it's pretty hard to remember that when RPing on WoW, seeing as you can't actually -hear- what the people are saying, but it has come to my attention that most people just overlook that creepy and morbid tone Death Knights have in RP.

I'm not blaming anyone, of course. It's a little hard to keep remembering it with no constant reminder, but it would be better if people could at least pay attention to that tone more...

Right, this is by no means a rant or anything, I just wanted to let everyone know how I feel about the subject and see how others do! My death knight, for instance, barely speaks at all because he hates that double-voice that comes out of his mouth.

Feel free to discuss this matter!
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?
^Indeed. That's why Orutanu talked so little. And wore a Sombrero that tipped over his eyes.
You good sir, are a scholar and an educated gentlemen! Enjoy this fine mixture of cigars and brandy.
I tend to believe that Death Knights always have the echo and during times of intense emotional stress (Anger, mainly) it intensifies for dramatic effect. Yeeesss, dramatic effect~
It's not optional. The echo is constant and every word a death knight utters, even a whisper or his very breath, has the echo. And it's very distinguishable. (Check the in-game emotes.)

Callahan only speaks when spoken to, and wears a hat to cover his eyes for the exact same reasons. He doesn't particularly hide that he's a Knight, but doesn't go around waving a flag and holding a banner high about it, either.
For those that still wonder how it can sound like, this is the best exemple of a "double-voice" thingy.

I think that what makes people wonder is how we have the ability to switch DK voice reverb off.

Since we can do that, it either kinda' hints to the fact that it could somehow be suppressed - there's no Lore to deliberately state that they all speak like that, or that they couldn't turn it off - or it's just there for convenience's sake.

Ambiguity is one of the traits of DK Lore, now that the D20 has been de-canonized.

For reference: Menu>Sounds>Death Knight Voices.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
(07-09-2011, 11:45 AM)flammos200 Wrote: I think that what makes people wonder is how we have the ability to switch DK voice reverb off.

Since we can do that, it either kinda' hints to the fact that it could somehow be suppressed - there's no Lore to deliberately state that they all speak like that, or that they couldn't turn it off - or it's just there for convenience's sake.

Ambiguity is one of the traits of DK Lore, now that the D20 has been de-canonized.

For reference: Menu>Sounds>Death Knight Voices.

That's because Death Knight voices has the possibility of lagging people, so Blizzard decided to make something to turn it off. By those mechanics, however, you can turn off your helmet/cape when you still have one on. That stuff's all OOC.
(07-09-2011, 12:06 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: That's because Death Knight voices has the possibility of lagging people, so Blizzard decided to make something to turn it off. By those mechanics, however, you can turn off your helmet/cape when you still have one on. That stuff's all OOC.

/e takes off his helmet
/e takes off his cape

Problem solved.
[Image: djuraz.jpg]
Trying to argue that you can turn your voice off because Blizzard added the mechanic in is quite silly. Sorry, but it just doesn't seem like it's an option.

Look at it logically. In the default option, the echo is always present. In every instance a Death Knight speaks, you'll hear the echo. When you turn the voices off, they are off ENTIRELY. This means that in every instance a Death Knight speaks, you'll never hear the echo. Ever.

So they are either ALWAYS on or ALWAYS off. There is never a time when they are sometimes on unless you are constantly switching your options.

Game mechanics =/= Lore

Edit: You can also turn off shadows in the game. Does that mean no one has shadows if I turn them off?
[Image: rainbowedited2.jpg]
---------------------------
Gunther Lichblight [Forsaken Rogue]
Lionell Worgbane [Human Paladin]
Abraham Dragonbeard [Dwarf Hunter]

...Actually... You get to talk to Scarlets for quests in the DK Starter Questline. If you'd had an echoy voice, you'd think Abbendis would notice, correct? When you dress up as a courier, I mean.

In addition, isn't The Black Knight at the Argent Crusade secretly a Scourge DK - and no one really notices the voice?

Even more: The Scarlets were always afraid of Scourge infiltration by Scourge Death Knights - because DKs have been known to be able to act like perfectly normal people...
Flammos, you also hide behind a cardboard tree. I don't think that Blizzard made the Scarlets to be that smart during that chain. Note that, during that quest, you also still have blue eyes.

If I'm correct, the Black Knight wears a helmet that whole time. Said helmet could have been enchanted to hide his voice. Additionally, he could have just been a straight up Death Knight. I don't believe it ever clarifies if he was dead or alive during the quest chain.

Refer to point 1.
The Black Knight must be undead because he has a grave. Point and case!
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
... Who said you hid behind it? Just because it is a cardboard tree and the quest (which is quite silly) says you have to, doesn't mean you wouldn't hide behind a rock and jump off at the courier the first chance you got.
[Image: djuraz.jpg]
Eh, it's still there. Since the D20's been de-canonized, we take everything in-game as Lore, right?

He does, but there's no evidence of enchanting. And nah, he wasn't a straight-up DeeKay. You end up proving he is undead and a murderer during the course of his Questline.

I meant the SC in the Monastery, not those at Tyr's Hand by my third point. People left and right were suspected of being Scourge, carrying its taint and so on.

Also, Forsaken have a deathly echo to their voice as well. How come people let them pretend to have normal voices and everyone jumps on DKs for it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What races would actually become a Death Knight? Samlock 4 1,660 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Dae
  [WIP] Service After Death: A Death Knight Guide SachikoMaeda 43 6,152 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Runemaster gone death knight Kira13 46 7,715 12-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Kira13
  Death Knight mounts ICly! Erynn 17 3,259 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Beltharean
  Opinions needed: Death Knight Caster. Adam255 12 2,128 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Dae