The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A theory of cross-racial relationships.
To start off, i'm sure this thread will not interest some, heck, maybe even everyone, but I feel it's something that helped change my RP slightly.

Now, we all know some races mate with others on our server, it's an almost undeniable fact, but did you ever stop to think 'why'?

My theory, in this case, is a slightly complex one, leading straight down to us, the players, and not the characters themselves. What drives a dwarf to be interested in a draenei, for example? (Might not be the best example)

Let's begin with IC, shall we? Azeroth is a world completely different than what us, the players, seen in our lives (Having only earth to learn from). It holds, at this time set, around ten -playable- races. Those races, among the others that aren't playable, have their own people and their own customs, but we still have the interesting fact of cross-racial mating. While I agree that some races are simply very human-like, and bound to get attraction for their similarities, there are also some who are not.

This is where my theory begins to take place, the OOC factors. We, as humans, have our 'turn ons' and 'turn offs', some could be attracted to that, while others are attracted to this. (I cannot stress this enough... I don't see this as a problem of any kind, I actually think it's wonderful, but the theory stands.) Those 'turn ons/offs' could easily be applied towards our characters, finding comfort in such a thing where you do not have to RP liking something you actually don't.

Let's enter the minds of our characters for a moment, shall we? Without the influence of us RPing them, they are (mostly) considered regular in their race, thus having 'regular' attractions. Now this might not affect all, in fact, i'm fairly sure it doesn't, but it came to my mind that I need to see it through my character's eyes, not my own. By doing that, I managed to limit my character's attractions to very certain things, as based off myself. For instance, if I make a human character, he/she would be attracted to humans at most, and perhaps a small 'kink' towards another human-like race, but mostly things in the character's comfort zone, and not mine.

This might be obvious to some people, causing this whole thread to seem pointless, but I feel it deserves a look-over.

Again, this is NOT an issue in my eyes, it is merely an interesting subject that I wish to hear other people's opinions on.

A note: This is not supposed to single out anyone, but rather offer my idea of the subject. It's not to offend anyone in any way, and should not be taken as an offensive post!

Feel free to discuss!
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?
Well, I was going to post some reply but frankly this covers the ground fairly well.
Well done!
A quick update after getting some comments...
Seems I have wrote it in a way that gives off my main point as "OOC attractions adjust your IC ones". That's not the message i've been trying to give out, honestly.

I wanted to see what is people's opinions on trying to adjust your own, OOC view into your characters, and use his comfort zone instead of yours.
I think this is very true, and I've always felt the same way when thinking about my more long-running characters. An Orc might be okay with different humanoid races if they exhibit Orcish characteristics. A male Orc could be attracted to large, butch Human women because they exhibit Orcish traits (like being muscular and tall and having attitudes).
(08-04-2011, 03:40 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: I think this is very true, and I've always felt the same way when thinking about my more long-running characters. An Orc might be okay with different humanoid races if they exhibit Orcish characteristics. A male Orc could be attracted to large, butch Human women because they exhibit Orcish traits (like being muscular and tall and having attitudes).

So, what you're saying is...

Kaghuros wants to go out with Jean.

(Don't hurt me.)
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Damnit Grakor, stop mindhiving me.

(08-04-2011, 03:48 PM)Grakor456 Wrote:
(08-04-2011, 03:40 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: I think this is very true, and I've always felt the same way when thinking about my more long-running characters. An Orc might be okay with different humanoid races if they exhibit Orcish characteristics. A male Orc could be attracted to large, butch Human women because they exhibit Orcish traits (like being muscular and tall and having attitudes).

So, what you're saying is...

Kaghuros wants to go out with Jean.

(Don't hurt me.)

(/snicker)

Personally, I have to say, attractions are a fickle thing.

In humans, IRL, our sexual attraction can be towards: The same gender, the opposing gender, animals, corpses, food, children and objects (of course, the last four being considered diseases rather than "valid" sexual attraction, and "animals" being generally frowned upon (But apparently not quite illegal, since doing google search on "Zoophilia" will result in a lot of unpleasurable results (Or pleasurable. I don't judge.) ) ).
Not to mention the fact that some of us also feel sexual attraction to several anthropomorphous aliens.

I honestly think attraction comes from the person, not the race. Customs do play a role, of course.

A human that refuses to speak to all sin'dorei, for one, will likely never meet a sin'dorei they're attracted to. But hell, he might meet a tauren if they take the time to talk. It may indeed seem completely out of the ordinary to some of us, but hey.

A woman married the Eiffel Tower.

A guy married a character in a nintendo DS game.

What -honestly- stops someone from loving someone of a different race?

Romeo and Juliet got the ever-so-famous love history between two warring families.

It's even a romantic cliche; And a lot of people want to play an "intense" relationship. Heck, I don't see why not let them, as long as everyone plays their part.

Nonetheless, I think that if humans are capable of feeling sexual attraction towards so many randomic and uncommon things, why would they not be able to feel sexual attraction towards any of the WoW races?

Spoilered just to be sure.
Spoiler:
EDIT: To expand upon my point: This is a list with over fifty paraphilias (fetishes) humans can possess. I stopped counting at around 68, so I'm not sure of the exact number. Enjoy. (It likely goes unsaid that I'd not open a gigantic list of sexual fetishes if you're at work)

EDIT2:
Quote:A 2009 list contains a total of 547 paraphilias, but leads with the statement that "Not all these paraphilias have necessarily been seen in clinical setups. This may not be because they do not exist, but because they are so innocuous they are never brought to the notice of clinicians. Like allergies, sexual arousal may occur from anything under the sun, including the sun
Quote:A 2009 list contains a total of 547 paraphilias,
Quote:547

I rest my case.
That's a lovely point of view, Uthaniel. While my theory is sort of based around that, it usually refers to people within the 'norm' of things. Though, yes, I took into mind anyone can be attracted to anything, I based my theory around what is usually more accepted within public views.

Of course, once more, i'm not saying this is bad. Hell, I have my own personal kinks, but I think that the point should be taken into consideration among -some- characters, and not all.

I wasn't aiming this theory at everyone, but more of towards people who play generally 'normal' characters.

(The uses of the words 'norm' and 'normal' are applied to that race's popular and socially accepted point of view on things. For instance, a draenei being attracted to an orc would not fall within 'normal', but it can easily happen.)
I see where you're coming from, and I agree. Someone who plays the "average Sin'dorei" more likely than not wouldn't even leave Silvermoon, much less have a relationship with an orc.

However, much like a "normal" person may live a normal life, during their normal day, and be married to their normal wife, nothing really stops them from, say, getting a kick out of being crawled on or bitten by insects. Sexual arousal is something really weird, most of the times. (Like the sentence goes, it can basically literally be anything under the sun). A completely normal Draenei might just feel fuzzy on the inside regarding blood elves (or orcs) and, should they be their "Normal" racial stereotypes, they will likely push it aside as it's something wrong, much like our friend over there might push aside his formicophilia.

However, the desire is there, and nothing stops the completely normal character from exploring that at some point, even if not permanently.

In my opinion, at the risk of coming off as a smartass (and sincerely hoping I don't!) humans are too deep to categorize into "normal" or not. We're composed of multiple faces, and as far as we know, we ourselves may spend the rest of our lives without ever finding out a bunch of stuff we are sexually attracted to (and reading that list, I'm actually hoping I never do.).

Though, of course, I'm speaking of actual humans coming off the assumption the fictional races are similar simply because they all share a similar psychological spectrum; For all I know, some of them might even be -unable- to feel sexual attraction or pleasure, so those relationships to them would be based only to have children (Sad life, huh?)

Heck, maybe some of them may even feel -pain- during the act, to the point they'd never want to do it again unless absolutely necessary they do. ("Our race is near extinction -again-? Oh Light...")

I just figure that in the end, this stuff is really something up to the person to decide or not (but accept the consequences thereof).
Let's ask Dan Savage.
Well, I believe that people, in real life, see things in common with their parents/childhood to be attractive. This includes Physical and Socially. I really like to focus on the physical aspect of it because, no matter who you are, physicallity is going to effect who you go for as a mate, it's in your genetic structure, and I personally see a problem with someone who was raised around white people, being attracted in purple, green or blue people. I'm personally fine with Humans having relationships with Blood Elves, Dwarves and even Gnomes, due to them growing up around these people and looking similar to them. I could also see an Orc in a relationship with a Troll, as the two, if the youngest age possible, have spent half/over half of their lives with the other race, and they also look kind of similar, bar the moss on the Trolls, and the Orcs being steroid monster.

Guess that's what I'll say about it.

EDIT: Then, of course, we have to take what each individual culture views as attractive. For example, Orcs are attracted to strength, so this could very well mean them becoming attracted to a Dwarf Mountain King, even though that may be one way. Humans are like Humans in real life, Dwarven men find women with beards attractive, and Blood Elven people likely find intelligence attractive. Then, as other people said, your character can be an exception. For example, my character Shivala finds strength attractive, as she was raised in a place where strength is all you, as a person, would need in the world to get by, and be able to provide for those around here. In addition, seeing as the Kaldorei and Trolls are a very primal society, each in their own rights, I think that they would each see the ability to protect you as something good, going back to evolution at all. That, and her hate for her Grandparents and such, really sums up why she likes Fala.
(08-04-2011, 04:52 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Well, I believe that people, in real life, see things in common with their parents/childhood to be attractive. This includes Physical and Socially. I really like to focus on the physical aspect of it because, no matter who you are, physicallity is going to effect who you go for as a mate, it's in your genetic structure, and I personally see a problem with someone who was raised around white people, being attracted in purple, green or blue people. I'm personally fine with Humans having relationships with Blood Elves, Dwarves and even Gnomes, due to them growing up around these people and looking similar to them. I could also see an Orc in a relationship with a Troll, as the two, if the youngest age possible, have spent half/over half of their lives with the other race, and they also look kind of similar, bar the moss on the Trolls, and the Orcs being steroid monster.

Guess that's what I'll say about it.

Aren't humans that were raised among white people being capable of being attracted to black people?

I think skin color is actually the smallest issue; Shape, moreso. No human would feel sexually attracted to a tauren or an ogre, for example, unless they were seriously weird.
I haven't had time to read through all of the posts (I'm tired.) But what I can say on the subject is. I agree. I have had characters that were sexually attracted to other races, but what you have to keep in mind. Is not only the character's views, but what he would think of that certain race after what roll they played toward their own. Like a human male liking a Blood Elf female (see this a lot.) To many humans, Blood Elves are gross. They are all infected with Fel and Arcane. Not to mention they were not supported in the Alliance due to their addiction so... Tings o'dat sort.
Chieftain Muyoh Wolftotem - Chieftain of the Wolftotem Tribe
Well, Uthaniel, that's because a lot of the kids my age are raised around people of different color, so that's really a fix to that, I guess. But at the same time, that also goes back to what your parents think. How many African American to White marriages did you see pre Civil War? How many do you see now?
(08-04-2011, 05:05 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Well, Uthaniel, that's because a lot of the kids my age are raised around people of different color, so that's really a fix to that, I guess. But at the same time, that also goes back to what your parents think. How many African American to White marriages did you see pre Civil War? How many do you see now?

What our parents think is widely different.
My country is a mix-match of just about every single national ethnicity; We've had interracial couples dating since when slavery was abolished here on 1888, which was actually after the american civil war. (and before, I'd like to add, they still existed. But it's honestly not something I'd like to go on about here, because, well, the way those relationships were dealt with isn't exactly dinner conversation.)

But, I again, see where you come from.
Nonetheless, there still were. It's as I've said before. Back then, the ones that -felt- the attraction, repressed it, as it was something "Wrong". However, once the Civil War was over, there was no longer anything stopping them from acting on that attraction, so they did.

Blood elves and Draenei were enemies at the start.
However, with the SSO, and once the burning crusade was over, the blood elves allying themselves with the Sha'tar, what stops them from acting on that attraction? Pretty much nothing. (At least if you're an SSO Draenei or Blood Elf.)

The same can go to members of just about any race, or at least particular factions of (pretty much anyone that was in dalaran, earthen ring, and other similar cross-race alliances.)

EDIT: I brainherped into that first paragraph and just noticed it absolutely lacks a point. To elaborate, Brazil actually has pretty little racism to just about any race. Safe for a few goons that would actually be just as likely to beat me up as they would any foreign, we are and have been overall pretty open for quite a bit of time.

EDIT2: A second brainherp (two in a row! Wee!) as I just noticed I didn't exactly say where that point fits.

To elaborate on this: Perhaps I am, in fact, because of cultural customs, more open to the possibility of these relationships due to being part of a social system that is actually pretty welcoming to anyone and everyone, meaning I stand from a biased viewpoint in which I see the matter in an entirely different light.

EDIT3: I'm clearly on a roll today.

The above said, given the fact that Warcraft was made by an american, the relationships between the races may have been made with concepts in mind that are completely beyond my grasp, being from a completely different cultural system. I do not personally think it changes that much or to the point of completely invalidating my opinion, but it -does- shed light on why there's a glaring difference between me seeing this as something to an extent normal, whereas others do not.

...Or maybe I'm completely wrong. I have honestly no clue. I didn't make WoW. D:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dk's, Can they forget certain racial things? Samlock 10 2,263 05-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Spectral Vision Theory Stormgald 9 1,348 08-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Racial Stereo-typing, What Our Characters Can Do SpiralLateralus 35 4,787 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Cross-Faction stuff dastmo 5 1,358 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Cross-faction roleplay Kretol 47 7,714 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Blaize