The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Path to Darkness
Sparks flew up as Thalion poked the coals in his fire with a stick. He had three fish cooking on a grill he had just above the fire. A few feet away from him was a Silvermoon banner he had stood up. It faced to the east, so the Farstriders in the retreat not too far away knew where he was camping. It was a habit he had; he would always stand up the banner when he had set up camp so allies could find him. His helmet was placed a few feet away from him. His camp was on a rise in the earth, with a spiral path wrapping around the outside leading up to his camp.

There was a little crackle off to his left, though the source was blocked by a tree that was growing on the rise, but after the sound faded away, a Blood Elven woman walked out from behind the tree. Thalion examined her for a moment, noting that she wasn’t at all dressed like a Farstrider. He had never seen the woman before, so Thalion stood up and rested his hand on one of the daggers sheathed at his waist. The two stared at each other for a moment, before Thalion decided to break the silence.

“Who might you be?” He said, trying to keep his tone as casual as possible.

The woman paused, “If I was here to kill you, you would be dead already. Lower your guard, Thalion.”

‘How did she know my…’ The thought echoing through Thalion’s head was cut short; he noticed the woman didn’t have any weapons visible. Instead of making things more tense, Thalion forced out a chuckle. “Fair enough.” He muttered as he lowered his hand to his waist. “Have a seat.” He gestured to the other side of the fire.

The woman shook her head quickly, “I don’t have enough time.” This confused Thalion, if she was in a hurry why didn’t she just say what she wanted to and leave?

Thalion shook his head, grunted, and stood back up. “Have it your way.”

The woman hurried things up, “You want to learn to fight. I can teach you.” The Elf paused, but Thalion remained silent, allowing the woman to continue. “You want revenge, I can give it to you.” This confused Thalion even more, mainly because revenge wasn’t the first thing on his mind. While he hated the Scourge and the Amani, getting revenge wasn’t really his motive to fight them. Or was it? He wasn't really sure, now that he thought about it.

Deciding that he was tired of vague responses that weren’t answering his questions, he felt the need to be blunt, “What do you want?” He blurted out.

The woman took a few steps closer to Thalion, “I am gathering assassins into a brotherhood.”

This really caught Thalion off guard. An assassin? He had planned to become many things, a hero, a father maybe, but not an assassin. Picturing himself as an assassin was such an alien idea that it both revolted and intrigued him. He gathered his composure, “So what lead you to me?”

“You have potential.”

Another thing Thalion wasn’t expecting to hear. Never had he been told he had potential, except maybe when he was trained as a scout with the Farstriders, even though that was simply because he couldn’t shoot to save his life. The whole situation that had arrived was so unreal. A woman walked into his camp, told him she is gathering assassins and that he has potential. Thalion made the inference, “And you want to train me to become an assassin?” The confusion showed in his voice. The woman nodded quickly, and silence fell as Thalion thought of the idea. While it was true that he could barely hold his own, it was also true that Thalion hadn’t truly been trained in how to fight. Most of his allies in the Farstriders were new recruits at the time he joined, so he learned the basics from them, but nothing extensive. Almost as if a light went off in his head, he looked up at the woman and with a glimmer in his eye said, “I’ll do it.”

This brought a smile to the woman’s face, “Go to Hillsbrad Foothills, there you will find a cave, go through that and you will find a manor. I will meet you there in a few days.” Before he could say anything the woman walked back behind the tree, except that Thalion watched her open a portal and step through it. She was a mage.

Thalion walked over and took down his banner, and began to pack his things, vowing he would leave in the morning.

I’m going to be an assassin.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Far Wolf Path DuskWolf 1 967 10-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Last Post: DuskWolf
  Path-finding. Stealthscout 2 1,118 09-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Stealthscout
  The Path... requiem225 1 683 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Last Post: requiem225
  Descent Into Darkness Duraza 6 1,667 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Duraza
  The Path of the Righteous [Journal] Sol 0 666 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM