The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Variant/Free-form Stuff for a Priest
So, my mind was roiling and boiling with sudden ideas that only come a few days before a reset.

It ended up at the freckle-priest becoming a techno-priest.

This would entail imbuing and using Light in various engineering designs. Not just a priest that tinkers and makes mechanical squirrels. Examples are...
  • Holy hand grenades.
  • A staff that, when a lever is tugged, opens and fires off a blast of Light from a blessed crystal.
  • Other nonsense that I've yet to think up/research.

I was told by a GM I spoke with, that this tech-priest idea sounds a lot like the techno-mage "prestige". Is it? Is it too far out in left field to RP?

Note: Draenei are the perfect example of Light-engineers. Blessed crystals everywhere!

...Does this go in the thread Apheteros just made?

[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Resident Engie, go!

While the Draenei definitely use technology, I wouldn't go so far as to call it all light-based. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the argent cannons.

I'm not entirely certain if the light could be applied in the same way as other magic; Perhaps some things could be done, though. I'm honestly not completely opposed to a light-esque grenade with the argent cannon sort of deal in mind.

On a separate note I don't think technomage will be something restricted in the future, but don't quote me on that. The only thing truly overbearing in my opinion would be the technomage's fully dextrous prosthetics.
I always figured once Light was called, you could do what you want with it. As well, as much as it's based on belief, you could form it in any number of ways.

Granted, I don't plan to give the cathedral in Stormwind Light-wings and have it fly off or anything like that.

Curious as to what Flammos and Etmosril have to say!
c0rzilla, I think that you believe that Arcane and Light are more similar then they actually are. What's possible with Light isn't possible with Arcane, and vice versa. You can't create mirror images of yourself with Light, or etc. They're completely different types of magic.
I realize this.

I don't think I said you could do exactly the same things, but I think Light can do more than we're lead to believe by game mechanics. It's the magic of creation isn't it?

And whatever Lightgineering I'm allowed to do, would only be based on Light spells we know, and are related to Light spells we know. The staff? Really a magnified Smite. The grenades? Holy Novas, or Consecrations.

I would like to see opinions on what people think can be done with Light and engineering rather than what can't.
On the contrary divine magic is infinitely more malleable than the rigid and strict arcane. Arcane is an energy laden with effort, divinity a path paved with faith. Should one's faith rise to carry it, the Light can be many things. Hammer of justice, a mace. You can, in fact, create a mirror image of yourself with the Light, albeit much more difficult as it requires the concentration of a sage and the sagacity of an ascetic.

There are holy grenades represented somewhere, but I don't remember were. Theoretically it's very possible--it's still magic, and we oft see objects able to release the Light from confines.

[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(09-03-2011, 11:25 AM)c0rzilla Wrote: I realize this.

I don't think I said you could do exactly the same things, but I think Light can do more than we're lead to believe by game mechanics. It's the magic of creation isn't it?

And whatever Lightgineering I'm allowed to do, would only be based on Light spells we know, and are related to Light spells we know. The staff? Really a magnified Smite. The grenades? Holy Novas, or Consecrations.

I would like to see opinions on what people think can be done with Light and engineering rather than what can't.

'Tis the Light of Creation, as the Draenei put it, indeed. You can, for example, shape a bolt of light(Usually Smite), like a sphere, or spear, or a little golden bird, or pretty much anything. It's purely aesthetic, and gives you no advantage, though. Same way most NElf Priests of Elune toss about silver light instead of the usual gold.

That said, you could definitely imbue objects with priestly blessings. Take grenade, cast Holy Nova, pull pin and throw. Result? Explosion + Holy Nova.

Spellguns in the RPG books transform actual spells that a character has, into beams, by channeling them through crystals, rather than casting them on the spot. Basically, you cast the spell on the crystal in the spellgun, and when you pull the trigger, the spell fires in beam form.

Moving on, we know that blessed bullets exist, alongside the Argent Cannons and such. Blessed bullets being just that, and containing a small amount of sacred herbs within their core as well.

Additionally, I could definitely see Paladins wielding sledgehammers with Steam Ram heads. Basically, they're hammerheads that expand rapidly on impact, adding extra kick to blows. Also, Chatter blades(Essentially adding chainsaw teeth to edged weapons), and Voltaic Coil weaponry(An electrical grid set upon a weapon that allows it to discharge electricity on contact, a la Gnomish Lightning Generator).

Now, couple a Nigh-invulnerability belt with a Power Word: Shield.

Couple a Healing Potion injector with a holy blessing, for increased effect. A la Moonwell Water.

...Couple a Gnomish Gravity Negator(Which is what Alliance Airships use to stay afloat) with a Levitation spell, if you really want to keep on going.

Couple hatred with love crystals with healing, or perhaps with holy novas.

The thing about blending magic and technology is that you need broad-use spells, like Levitation, Heal, Holy Nova and such.

Nigh-invulnerability belt with Shadow Resistance. Mind-control cap with Fear Ward/Psychic scream/Mind Sear.

The only limit is the imagination. Perhaps blessing a mere gauntlet so it singes the Undead and Demons that it hits. And so on.

So, yeah. Just try and think of combos that don't feel over-powered or under-powered, but rather, that simply expand upon your natural abilities and those of the Engineering profession, as any Priest can have both, and blend'em together.

Light-tech.
Will it blend?

EDIT:

(09-03-2011, 11:42 AM)Aphetoros Wrote: On the contrary divine magic is infinitely more malleable than the rigid and strict arcane. Arcane is an energy laden with effort, divinity a path paved with faith. Should one's faith rise to carry it, the Light can be many things. Hammer of justice, a mace. You can, in fact, create a mirror image of yourself with the Light, albeit much more difficult as it requires the concentration of a sage and the sagacity of an ascetic.

There are holy grenades represented somewhere, but I don't remember were. Theoretically it's very possible--it's still magic, and we oft see objects able to release the Light from confines.

Exactly. Faith defines form. By believing, the Divine spellcaster shapes reality, akin to the Clerics and Psionics of DnD.

What would be difficult in meshing technology and divine magic, is that the caster not lose their belief, and start treating the Divine like a science, as opposed to faith, for it is not.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Well, it seems the magic would work.

Now, would I be allowed to do this with the Free-form System that seems to be in place? How far can I go with it? Just like a techno-mage, or if not, what's the stopping point?
Oh! Flammos! Where are spellguns found in the books, I wanna read up on them. (Also, magitechnology, whar?
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(09-03-2011, 02:13 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: Well, it seems the magic would work.

Now, would I be allowed to do this with the Free-form System that seems to be in place? How far can I go with it? Just like a techno-mage, or if not, what's the stopping point?

This is kind of the issue with engineering in general: knowing what's too far and what's not.

I generally try to keep somewhat close to the tech that we see in-game, even if you bring your own spin to it. Holy Hand Grenades are cool since we actually get throwable explosives in WoW (and quite a few different varieties, even.) Guns that shoot magic rays, have neat effects that tie in to your class, all that stuff should be cool. (Why am I now imagining a priest shooting people with a ray-gun of healing?)

The limit would be when you try to go completely outside of what WoW's tech tends to allow, which I know is a very subjective line. Don't do wrist-mounted cannons, for example, cause that's just silly and OP. If you think something you want to create might cross the line into the OP, it's best to ask.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
(09-03-2011, 03:07 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: (Why am I now imagining a priest shooting people with a ray-gun of healing?)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc[/youtube]
(09-03-2011, 03:07 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: The limit would be when you try to go completely outside of what WoW's tech tends to allow, which I know is a very subjective line. Don't do wrist-mounted cannons, for example, cause that's just silly and OP. If you think something you want to create might cross the line into the OP, it's best to ask.

Indeed.

Of course, there's stuff that isn't a wrist mounted cannon, which would sound like it'd blow your hand off(even if you'd get a shot off), that could work.

Like plasma shields, wrist-rockets, healing potion injectors(directly into the bloodstream, yay!... wait, -spinal-?!), addons which improve synaptic responses, and delicious cloaking devices.

...With that much technology, you'll be glad you brought along an EMP Generator.

...Actually, I'm pretty sure there -is- a healing raygun in the game. Oh, yep. There are two.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
If anything, magitek.
Seems legit with the draenei and all.
This sounds really cool and all, but for the most part only Arcane magic can actually enchant items to give them effects. Divine magic as a Priestly ability is some sort of extension of the user's own soul/willpower shaped in the form they desire. Technology would then just be a mental crutch your character uses to wield their power, rather than the actual source or application of it, since every effect you mention can be done with a Priest with proper intent anyway.

Then again, that's actually a neat concept. I just wouldn't expect techno-divine items to work for other people.
(09-03-2011, 10:16 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: This sounds really cool and all, but for the most part only Arcane magic can actually enchant items to give them effects.

Are items not blessed all the time? Imbued with Light? There was an entire branch of smithing dedicated to this. Weapons against demons and undead are almost always imbued with holy energies.

Quote:Divine magic as a Priestly ability is some sort of extension of the user's own soul/willpower shaped in the form they desire.

Funny thing is, in the techno-mage priestige article, it describes just about a mental link between the mage and the machine. Not sure I'll (am allowed to) go that far, but food for thought. The great thing about Light is what you just said. Imagine the potential of your own soul and will manipulating a machine.

Quote:Technology would then just be a mental crutch your character uses to wield their power, rather than the actual source or application of it, since every effect you mention can be done with a Priest with proper intent anyway.

I'd disagree! Annabelle is only about 22 years old, nowhere near the potential a priestess can be. As such, and due to a weakened body, she'll be using tools to magnify what she can call forth naturally, and ease the strain physically. Or manipulate it in ways she can't, say...a network of Light to shield a large area via various nodes. Anna is plenty faithful, but she's only one young person.

I always figured, once the energies are called forth, they can be manipulated however you want.

Quote:Then again, that's actually a neat concept. I just wouldn't expect techno-divine items to work for other people.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worgen Death Knights, and True Form Harmonic 21 5,539 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Dae
  TRP2 Unequip Stuff Edgar 0 821 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Edgar
  Variant classes? Kenert 8 1,336 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Worgen Form in Public c0rzilla 38 5,003 05-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Last Post: Aadora
  Need help roleplaying a shadow priest Daggermouth 6 3,593 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda