The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Saronsen's Warlock Guide [Work in progress]
As I am very capable of forgetting about something, gaining a thought and quickly posting it somewhere, and often times lazy, this can and likely will be disorganized. I'll try my best though! Grizzlybear with me as it goes through the early stages of creation.

Warlocks. What are they?

Destructive spells and you!

We all know that warlocks have a wide range of destructive spells, almost always containing fire in some shape or form. Here's an idea on how a spell works, and the damage it can cause.

Immolate
A rather basic spell for a warlock. The warlock blasts his target with flames, often with the intent to catch them ablaze. If the flames are put out quickly, or the target is not very flammable, they might not suffer too much. Fire is still hot however. Expect burns.

Searing Pain
A moderately basic spell for a warlock. The warlock again blasts his target with flames, though with more sudden, explosive force, resulting in damaged armor, and even internal organs taking a hit due to the shockwave. This can surely shake up one of weaker stature, and may even give pause to a powerful warrior, though not for long.

Rain of Fire
A slightly more advanced ability, though usually accomplished warlocks all have the power to use this spell. They conjure balls of flame in the sky to come crashing down in an area with moderate explosive force. This can result in injuries ranging from bruises and minor burns, to perhaps broken bones or severe burns on direct impact. Unpredictable and difficult to sustain, this spell is more for surprising groups that are distracted by something, say, a demon.

Hellfire
A somewhat advanced spell, the warlock blasts the area surrounding him with rings of fire, damaging himself, though often more deadly for those caught in the effect. This ability is not only draining, but can leave the warlock crippled if he uses it for too long, or too often, as magical burns are painful things. This is useful for cramped areas, or for forcing multiple foes to escape, lest they burn in your hateful flames.

Conflagrate
Another somewhat advanced spell, this spell can make your foes go out with a bang. By focusing on the flames already consuming them, you can cause them to erupt with power, the flames being so forceful they essentially explode around the target, burning themselves out, and leaving your opponent scorched, dazed, or dead. While most warlocks could learn this spell, those who follow the path of the more destructive arts are usually the ones who master it. Be weary of any flames near you, as they may also erupt when you cast this spell. Otherwise, it is not prone to backfire.

Incinerate
Sweeping in a wave of unbearably hot flames, the incinerate spell serves two purposes. The first is simply to sear the enemy with the amplified flames, burning them, or convincing them to get out of the way of the fearsome heat. The second purpose is to incredibly amplify any flames already burning away at your foe, most commonly caused by your immolate spell. These flames will surge with sudden force, burning so hotly, that plate wearers risk wearing a suit of molten metal, or join the similar fate of others in lesser armor, and being scorched alive. This spell is moderately advanced, and with some practice, one most warlocks should master.

Soul fire
A more advanced ability that takes a more accomplished warlock to master. While it takes time to conjure such a wicked ball of flame, the outcome is often in your favor. Though the fire itself can be deadly on its own, what it does to your targets soul is far more painful. Their soul, quite literally, burns within them, capable of causing crippling weakness, unbearable agony, or even death. While this ability is indeed deadly, it leaves you open for attack for a long time. Use it when you're certain your foe cannot disrupt you, as it may backfire on you, or fail entirely.

Shadowflame
A highly advanced ability that, although most warlocks can learn, it takes a true master of the art of destruction to use it properly. With a sudden blast of fire and shadow in front of the warlock, one can wreak havoc on their targets body, as well as igniting them in the burning demonic flames, causing moderate to severe magical burns. A dangerous spell, as it is very likely to hit allies nearby the warlock, and if the warlocks focus wavers for just a moment as he casts, he may find himself caught in the blast. A dangerous ability to be used cautiously.

Shadow bolt
A basic spell for most warlocks, a shadow bolt is just as its name implies. A bolt of shadow. A fearfully destructive spell that nearly every warlock should know, it is not unlike receiving a blow from a mace to the body, should it hit. Though it may not be capable of breaking bones, it will send a piercing agony around its point of impact, perhaps akin to being stabbed by dozens of small blades, or your muscles tearing. It may even cause a feeling of dread, though as short as it may be.

Shadowfury
A very advanced spell for warlocks, often those who spend several years dedicating to researching destructive magics manage to learn how to use it. With some focus and effort, one can force the very Shadows to gather in the air, and slam down near their opponents, causing bodily harm, and if forceful enough, knocking them aside. This can backfire on the warlock, as if his concentration is interrupted, the enemy is nearby, or his aim is off, it will very likely hit him and cause damage.

Chaos bolt
The most advanced, destructive spell useable by a warlock. A burning bolt of perhaps pure Fel, unstable, highly damaging, and nigh-impossible to stop. Barriers erected by mages are of no use. A priests shield of Light is pointless. The chaos bolt will simply pass through, wreaking havoc on the point of impact. This can range from simply blasting a hole in its target, to tearing through on impact. This is a deadly, deadly spell, and only the most skilled warlocks who have mastered the destructive abilities should handle. It contains an almost constant chance of backfiring on the warlock, damaging him before he even casts it. Magical and divine shields are of no use, and the bolt may simply destroy a paladins barrier, leaving him exposed for another attack. A deadly spell, though one to be used wisely.

Demonic servants

Warlocks have a wide variety of demons they can summon, each having their own varying sets of abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Here is some information behind each, what it might take to summon and bind one to yourself, and just what they are capable of.

Imp

The very first demon that most warlocks summon is the small, mischievous imp. At first glance, they appear to be weak, and if not cowardly, though when cornered they can be deadly creatures. For their size, they can contain massive amounts of Fel energy, and will not hesitate to use it against a foe, should they be cornered. If left to their own devices, imps would happily cause trouble for others, such as moving their items around so they have difficulty finding, or something little more destructive, such as setting the hem of their cloak on fire. Imps are valuable despite their size and attitude, and are an important ally to the fledgling warlock.

The spell to summon one is easy to learn, and can be found in many tomes on the darker arts, or taught by a more skilled warlock. Binding one to yourself is far from difficult, as they are very, very unlikely to resist.

Voidwalker

Voidwalkers are usually the next demon warlocks learn to summon. It is their sole purpose to serve a master unconditionally. No matter what the command, no matter how suicidal or unsound it may seem, the Voidwalker will do it exactly as commanded. While the demons attacks are not all that damaging, their touch is horrifying. Painful memories, fears, and even nightmares will rush to the surface of their foe, striking them with terror, or enraging them, causing them to focus on the source of their anguish- The voidwalker. This gives the warlock time to flee, or destroy their opponent while they are distracted. Voidwalkers themselves are moderately tough and can take quite the beating before being defeated. If they are injured, they can consume the very shadows in the area, bolstering their form and allowing them to regain their strength. While not as effective during the day, they can heal quite rapidly in the darkest of night, proving to be formidible, if not resilient allies.

Voidwalkers are also fairly easy to summon, the spell containing the incantations needed found in various dark tomes, or amongst the accomplished warlocks. While some voidwalkers will not hesitate to serve, some may be rather upset to have been torn from the comfort of the Twisting Nether, and may resist the binding. Do what one must to make them your servant.

Succubus

The succubus, although a demon, is often considered a beautiful sight to behold. Her voluptuous form is contained within a tight leather outfit, and she is a mix of pleasure and pain. Succubi are interesting in that they can, and often will fall in love with their masters. This can either result in a very useful servant, a good friend, or a nuisance, as they can be extremely jealous when their master is dealing with the opposite sex (Or the same, depending on their masters preference.) In combat, succubi are flankers. Quick to avoid frontal assaults, they attack their foes from the side or back with their painful lash, which can be both distracting and damaging depending on their foe. They can be deadly when the warlock is threatened, often rushing their opponent to save her beloved master. This often results in the warlocks simply trusting the Succubus' instincts in combat, since she may even ignore any command she doesn't agree with. Outside of combat though, succubi have several more sinister uses.
Succubi can take the form of a mortal being, most often that of a human, but it is not unlikely for them to take the forms of Blood, High, or Night elves. They may even take the shapes of orcs or trolls, depending on their master. This can lead to a demonic spy of sorts, allowing them to infiltrate groups, or divulge information from an enemy. Or even better yet, to seduce, and then murder said enemy. A succubus is a great ally to have, if not a bit moody and emotional at times.

While there are complex incantations to summon a Succubus, they are difficult to find in tomes, and most warlocks know of a different ritual. In this, a token of ones love is used to lure the Succubus from her demonic realm. This token can be a wide range of things. A locket given from one lover to another. Or perhaps a wedding ring that a certain woman misplaced. These do not necessarily have to be a token of the warlocks love. Just any others would do fine. While succubi do tend to fall in love with their masters, they often do not allow themselves to be bound to them so easily. They will fight for their freedom, and only when they are put in their place will they find the warlock a worthy master.

To be continued. Feel free to post opinions and feedback!
Updated to include the first three demons in a warlocks arsenal. More to come! Feel free to post your opinions, comments, or something on any typos or errors I have made.
Updated to include Conflagrate, Incinerate, and Shadowflame! If you feel any spell or information on demons is inaccurate, confusing, incorrect, or not fully explained enough, let me know, and tell me just how so!
Do remember that it's not just fire, it's Fel Fire, which I believe is harder to put out than a regular fire and probably more painful.
Indeed! I don't think it's needed to point it out in the spells, but it is good to remember that almost always, a warlocks fire spell is infused with Fel.
Oh, how informative!

I've never really had an interest in evil RP (Or even heroically fighting evil), so this is a delightfully straightforeward explanation on what to expect from such characters.

Also, I like the idea that summoning Succubi requires someone's token of love. Sounds like a potentially interesting character motivation or plot for whomever this token was taken from.
I would like to note that imps are terrified of rainbows.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Will restart work on this again soonish?

Sunday I'm packing up the PC. Monday and Tuesday, I'm on a moving truck to Florida.

Expect possibly more frequent updates in after a week or so?

Unsure!
Floridaaaaaaa? YES! More for the wonderful state of Florida. That makes...eight of us now?
Eight!? When did this happen?

(09-26-2011, 07:00 PM)Saronsen Wrote: Indeed! I don't think it's needed to point it out in the spells, but it is good to remember that almost always, a warlocks fire spell is infused with Fel.

Not necessarily. If the warlock isn't entirely tainted then they won't be, or if they haven't ever partook in the consumption of demonic blood.

However, one could play an entirely fel-less warlock, being that they use shadow magic, death magic, and fire magic, or any combination therein.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
That's why I said 'almost always'. For those special instances where warlocks don't use fel.

Anyway, monday I'll be moving into my apartment, so perhaps tuesdayish? i'll be able to start updating. Cant be bothered today!
Interesting guide you have here.

There are two cents i'd like to add:

Shadowflame is actually used by the black dragonflight and is taught to rare individuals (Dragonsworn) Though the knowledge may be passed on. I think only a few warlocks know how to use it. It being a warlock spell is interesting, as Dragons don't like them at all. Either it's a cock-up in wow Lore, or it's not the same.

It might be fun to add some information what would happen when weak warlocks summon too powerfull demons. It's kinda elder scrolls style. But I'd see warlocks ending up as slaves to their succubi and imps tearing their homes apart. Not to mention what would happen if a fell hunter goes rogue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feranos' Guide to Metals Kaghuros 0 1,847 10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Mauri's Guide to Herbs Absurdkoala 1 2,665 05-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Last Post: KomodoTheCashew
  Children of the Earthmother - A guide to tauren roleplay (incomplete) ghaskan 7 4,965 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Help! How do mages work? ghaskan 1 933 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Edgar
  RPregnancy - A Guide to RPing a Pregnant Character [WIP] c0rzilla 26 18,784 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Nymus