The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

What events do people like?
It's as simple as the title of the thread implies.

Though I operate under the assumption no one would bother joining an event I run, what sort of events would people potentially join?

Races? Alignments? Favored enemies? I'd just like to know I'd have players before I run a storyline. *Shrug*
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
See this guy right here?

[Image: OldGods.png]

I'd be all over that. Lovecraftian cosmic horror old god stuff where you're not sure if you've "won" after.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Isn't he sort of dead?
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
...I meant in a general sense. Like what I typed below.
Frankly, I'd rather have a bunch of events with no connection whatsoever than a storyline.
I don't want to feel compelled to join an event from the get-go when I can't just so I understand what's going on later.
Yay people reading what I typed.

Quote:...I meant in a general sense. Like what I typed below.

Quote:I'd be all over that. Lovecraftian cosmic horror old god stuff where you're not sure if you've "won" after.

Edit: Nice editing Uth. ;p

Random, not connected events would be good as well.
Espionage/Guerilla Warfare events.
What C0rzilla and Uthaniel said.
(10-07-2011, 04:59 PM)Xigo Wrote: Isn't he sort of dead?

He's never dead.

They're

never.
Dead.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
(10-07-2011, 06:00 PM)Aphetoros Wrote:
(10-07-2011, 04:59 PM)Xigo Wrote: Isn't he sort of dead?

He's never dead.

They're

never.
Dead.

Which incidentally is the dumbest excuse Blizzard has come up with to make up for them not being insanely powerful.
[Image: tumblr_mjjxhcqmG51qh076xo1_250.png]
Personally, I enjoy 'events' that don't work so much as a linear 'kill this, find this, use it for this, fight this, it runs away, fight it again, kill it, get treasure" over the span of several weeks, but rather work in a more... Practical sense. Say the group hears about a demon infiltrating a certain area. Hidden in a secret spot, that only YOU know of, is it's lair. In another spot, is the portal that it's summoning other demons through. In another spot is the power source for not only the portal, but the enchantment on the Demon's cave that keeps people out.

They can get clues as to where things are through normal events run by yourself, but with the ability to span things yourself, people can ICly explore; They can propel the story themselves in a way you never could on your own. Not only that, it isn't restricted to certain event times, making everyone happy.

If someone finds the power portal, an event held by yourself can be made to inspect it. Fight demons that come out, somehow gain information on a vague 'power source' and perhaps a general location. If not just a zone, perhaps say in Eastern Elwynn as an example, or even give a subzone, or general region like along the path between Goldshire and Redridge.

If they find the demon's layer first, they might try to get in, and after a time, fight either the Demon himself when he comes back to his lair. (he would escape when he starts to lose (or the players might run when they lose!) of course)

Through this entire storyline, people are working on it themselves, and since they can work on it at any time, it would promote RP in vague locations they might not see otherwise. Now, there might be some confusion in this, especially if new RPers are involved, but it really is a wonderful style for hosting a storyline.

Eventually the power source would be destroyed, and next, the portal would come to stop the flow of demons that would be heading toward the demon's lair (that would attack them if they choose to approach the Demon's den first). With the power source gone, and the portal next, the demon is without reinforcements or protection, and the group can take him out.

In the end, the only thing YOU would need to do is...

Spawn the power source (A simple gem, perhaps a few demons around it)

Spawn the Lair

Spawn the Portal

Hold an event for every time there is a 'major' discovery. IF you're online when someone finds something, then you can help them by puppeting and spawning NPCs. If not, they could be waiting to get more information on what they find from the Royal Library, consult a mage, or simply wait for backup before they delve any deeper.

Other than that... The players provide the entertainment for themselves.

This has been a rather fragmented example, but I hope you all get the general idea, for this isn't only for you Xigo, but anyone that wants to host an event in the future. You don't need to be a GM, for if you're truly creative, you might be able to do this with pre-existing places, and then request GM aid for events you want to run.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
I was about to say something but then someone else said this:

(10-07-2011, 06:32 PM)Beltharean Wrote: Personally, I enjoy 'events' that don't work so much as a linear 'kill this, find this, use it for this, fight this, it runs away, fight it again, kill it, get treasure" over the span of several weeks, but rather work in a more... Practical sense. Say the group hears about a demon infiltrating a certain area. Hidden in a secret spot, that only YOU know of, is it's lair. In another spot, is the portal that it's summoning other demons through. In another spot is the power source for not only the portal, but the enchantment on the Demon's cave that keeps people out.

They can get clues as to where things are through normal events run by yourself, but with the ability to span things yourself, people can ICly explore; They can propel the story themselves in a way you never could on your own. Not only that, it isn't restricted to certain event times, making everyone happy.

If someone finds the power portal, an event held by yourself can be made to inspect it. Fight demons that come out, somehow gain information on a vague 'power source' and perhaps a general location. If not just a zone, perhaps say in Eastern Elwynn as an example, or even give a subzone, or general region like along the path between Goldshire and Redridge.

If they find the demon's layer first, they might try to get in, and after a time, fight either the Demon himself when he comes back to his lair. (he would escape when he starts to lose (or the players might run when they lose!) of course)

Through this entire storyline, people are working on it themselves, and since they can work on it at any time, it would promote RP in vague locations they might not see otherwise. Now, there might be some confusion in this, especially if new RPers are involved, but it really is a wonderful style for hosting a storyline.

Eventually the power source would be destroyed, and next, the portal would come to stop the flow of demons that would be heading toward the demon's lair (that would attack them if they choose to approach the Demon's den first). With the power source gone, and the portal next, the demon is without reinforcements or protection, and the group can take him out.

In the end, the only thing YOU would need to do is...

Spawn the power source (A simple gem, perhaps a few demons around it)

Spawn the Lair

Spawn the Portal

Hold an event for every time there is a 'major' discovery. IF you're online when someone finds something, then you can help them by puppeting and spawning NPCs. If not, they could be waiting to get more information on what they find from the Royal Library, consult a mage, or simply wait for backup before they delve any deeper.

Other than that... The players provide the entertainment for themselves.

This has been a rather fragmented example, but I hope you all get the general idea, for this isn't only for you Xigo, but anyone that wants to host an event in the future. You don't need to be a GM, for if you're truly creative, you might be able to do this with pre-existing places, and then request GM aid for events you want to run.

And I agreed with all of it.

I think events need to be more focused on being long drawn-out quests full of interaction and intrigue, instead of being "BAM FIGHT HAPPENIN' RIGHT NOW!". We need to have something we can sink our teeth into. Question NPC's. Gather clues. Form alliances and enemies, take sides on a particular issue. Collaborate and sabotage. All those nifty things.

It'd be da gud stylo.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
I like doing events people like.

But people seem to be very resistant to post their interests, or lack thereof. I know this likely isn't the place to mention this, but I dearly wish that people were more vocal on what they want to see or not.

I don't mean to complain, but it troubles me when I ask for thoughts on an event and then receive only a lukewarm response at best. Even more so when it comes to trying to refine the events that people do seem to enjoy, because it's hard to tell what people like and don't like from OOC comments during.

I digress, though. I should fumble about on this elsewhere, heh.
The less guaranteed a success, the greater the reward, the fewer flares of direct DM guidance received, more real the possibility of grievous injury in combat...

As much arouses my sense of character achievement, but I imagine that I'm significantly more interested in visceral dark fantasy "realism" right in with my mix magical theory and heroic triumph than the next guy.

I like to see my fellow compatriots in peril, and perhaps palpable recovery if they're taken down.

I like resolute last stands and clever traps by both sides.

I like murderously competitive rival adventurers and demons of subtle cunning.

I like my CotH avatar's NPC enemies intelligent, brave, and resourceful.

I like the actions of those involved to decide an outcome that could've been more than one other possibility.

I like to lose, to an extent, and I like it being necessary for me to think to win.

Not think down a preordained pattern, but to fathom creative solutions to the engaging problems presented.

I like the bloke without a gorget to enjoy an arrow through his neck, and that stylish fellow on the frontlines without a helmet to take a hard shot to the head.

I like the fellow with a helmet to meet the obstacle of constricted vision.

I liked the (hilarious) occasion Esthrunil's orc charged gloriously with his rippling chest muscles first... into a glaive thrower.

I like George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy series of A Song of Ice and Fire.

I don't at all speak for any majority of CotH's players, I stress and am fairly sure of, only for me. ...As conceited as such a presumption might be.
I aswell like espionage events like Squirrel. Also, I like paranormal mystery events, or horror ones. Though what I wish for..?
Conquest events, and more freakin' PVP events like we should have. =/
[Image: btCv6mF.png]
Inspired by Aroes to make fancy parchment letters. :heart:
Lendri Autumn Sylvian
Alassae Starleaf
Lazarus Majire
Josephine Renae Briarthorn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Conversation: Assassination Events Diethe 2 797 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Diethe
  Events Calendar Kretol 2 2,308 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Kretol
  Moving On [Specially Tailored Events for the Dead!] Mezrin 0 794 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Mezrin
  When Planning Events... Kretol 1 1,460 10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Kretol
  Summer Events Xigo 5 1,226 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Last Post: kaii