The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

What of stories?
To be honest with y'all, I like writing. I like being creative.
But, again, to be honest, I am kind of bad at it. So, I would need a massive amount of attempts. But that is of another matter, though not entirely different.

The question is: how would writing a story of the character, instead of a -history-, be seen ?
Of course, the story would be centered around the character, and have ultimately no real end, as his story will continue and unfold IC.
<bump> ? :(
I think a lot of people recap their characters IC experiences or tells stories with them. Check the Storyline thread or the In Character thread for examples. It would probably be seen as alright, some would even encourage this.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
I've already promised to Kretol that I shall write a couple of pages about when Saaroy trained to become a Paladin, but they won't come out until OOC stuff has settled down for a bit.

About your question, you're asking how people should look at the story, or how it should be written? I myself am jamming up some papers to doodle on, writing the different themes of the story up in my head, then I start noting down the most important "doodles", and I write it as I would write a book (or a novel if the story is short, or does not go over seven years as Saaroy's one does.)

If I helped you and your question, you're welcome. If I didn't answer your question and talk about things that had nothing to do with your question, please beat me up with explanations.
Spoiler:
[Image: aADpK.gif]
I want there to be only the picture here, but sadly it is too large so I have to spoiler it and the spoiler doesn't appear if I don't write anything else here so now that's done, it's time for you to press it.
I meant if stories centered on a character, instead of the history of the said character, would be a good thing and if it won't mind anyone.

That, of course, would basically mean text walls with pharagraphs and all taht would make a book.
The meaning of the term 'history' is simple. A group of consecutive events in a past time period. It's quite literally something you can call a short novel about your character, but rather than being placed in your perspective of the character's doings in the present, you shift it one tense back and look at it from a perspective of an unknown narrator. My best tip for you is the follow:

Try and write the story as if you were roleplaying your character. Write in the present tense of the third person, and write the responses as if you roleplayed both sides of the conversation, or otherwise notable interaction. Be sure to write about the areas the story takes part in, as there's no graphical design other than the one you put together for us to imagine in our creative minds. Be good with words, use synonyms to avoid unnecessary repetition, and most important of all...

Have fun!
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
Are you talking about submitting a story instead of a history as a profile?
(10-24-2011, 04:18 AM)Kirabo Wrote: The meaning of the term 'history' is simple. A group of consecutive events in a past time period. It's quite literally something you can call a short novel about your character, but rather than being placed in your perspective of the character's doings in the present, you shift it one tense back and look at it from a perspective of an unknown narrator. My best tip for you is the follow:

Try and write the story as if you were roleplaying your character. Write in the present tense of the third person, and write the responses as if you roleplayed both sides of the conversation, or otherwise notable interaction. Be sure to write about the areas the story takes part in, as there's no graphical design other than the one you put together for us to imagine in our creative minds. Be good with words, use synonyms to avoid unnecessary repetition, and most important of all...

Have fun!
Seeing as you have given the very definition of writing a novel/book/story, I can tell you...
Naturally!
And in case you are confused further, yes, that is what I meant.

But the question was about wheter it would be seen as a valid thing for a character's profile.

(10-24-2011, 04:22 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: Are you talking about submitting a story instead of a history as a profile?
Yes!

It's naturally better fitted in the past tense, as it is [and I'm saying it again] a number of events in the past. Unless you've a time traveler character who's been in the future, allowing for you to write in a completely different time period for your character profile, I'm tempted to say no.

After reconsidering, I'm no authority here, but my opinion comes as granted. It's called a 'history' section, not a 'present' section, but yes, I see why you got the idea for such a feat. If there were no obvious signs of request for writing in the perfect tense, my opinion would be varied.
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
Again, my question is wheter writing a -story- instead of a history as a character's profile would be accepted.
-Not how- to write stories. That, I know.
It's something I've already stated my opinion on, Kira. I wish you luck, either way! And if you need help with anything, feel free to PM me, asking for IM information.
In one of my profiles (Volthorn), I've let my character personally recount his life.

So yes, you can have your history written from the character's perspective or in first person. Just be sure to actually tell the events that transpired in his lifetime.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
― Frank Zappa
That is~
Quite very short.
I am talking here about several pages of microsoft word, most probably 12 as size for letters, numbers and symbols.
Perhaps you should make a summary for the history and leave the story for an IC thread. Not to criticize but it gets a little silly when a profile is 12 pages long and a GM has to scrutinize every bit of it.
(10-24-2011, 08:45 AM)Wuvvums Wrote: Perhaps you should make a summary for the history and leave the story for an IC thread. Not to criticize but it gets a little silly when a profile is 12 pages long and a GM has to scrutinize every bit of it.
This -is- a criticismic thread. Criticism is what I want, so I can better understand how it would be seen by the whole community lot.

Regardless, question answered.
Toodles~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leader's short stories Wuvvums 0 620 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Wuvvums
  Collaborative Writing Project - Background Stories Cepht 8 1,768 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Leshok
  Camp fire Stories! ThePharaoh 23 4,001 05-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Hawk
  Back Stories! Legeon 3 999 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Lylithiann
  Player related stories that change CotH Ob3y 6 1,399 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Gricca