The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Void Stares Back
Maybe this will be fancy later, for now it's a log of Aroes' journey to become a shadowmage.

Spoiler:
[Cara]: No eatin' the bushes, Sheldon!
[Cara]: Useless coward turtle...
[Cara]: NO?
Aroes looks up from his ale and turns around, returning an answer in a slightly raised voice. "Out here."
[Cara]: Ah!
[Cara]: Howdy, sugar. Name's Caravan Fairwinds.
Cara looks around her person, patting pockets and bag until she procures a letter. "Arrows, right? This here's fer you."
Aroes quickly reads over the letter. "...A tea party?"
[Cara]: Sure.
[Cara]: S'gon
[Cara]: *S'gon' be swelltastic.
[Aroes]: ...This "tea party" wouldn't happen to be being hosted by Tavren Black, would it?
Cara snorts, "Fel naw, boy's a square."
Aroes leaves a few silver as a tip on the table. "Well let us be off then."
[Cara]: Good. Mayhaps we's in a hurry.
[Aroes]: Seems everyone is these days.
[Cara]: Hmm. I ain't. Never had a need fer it.
[Aroes]: A rarity, especially from gnomes.
Cara lets out a hearty chuckle.
[Cara]: Y'ever meet the Bisen?
[Aroes]: Can't say I have with any certainty.
[Cara]: She's swelltastic. You'll love her.
[Cara]: Or something.
[Aroes]: ...Swelltastic?
[Cara]: Mhm
[Aroes]: Is that even a word?
[Cara]: It's a word, son!
[Cara]: Best believe.
[Cara]: Don't mind the mess.
[Cara]: We ain't had no time ta clean it.
[Aroes]: I'd fire the maid...
[Cara]: Yeah... she mayhap got torched.
[Cara]: We back!
[Cara]: This here is Arrows!
Marianna hummed thoughtfully. The woman was alternating between checking a clipboard and pressing push-pins onto the map. "Hmm?" The woman turned, glancing at the two. "Ah! Aroes, yes?"
Cara climbs up onto the table with a sigh.
Aroes gives a curt nod. "Indeed, of "Arrows" if you happen to be a gnome in disguise."
Marianna turned back to the map. "A pleasure, dear. Have a seat. I'll be with you in a moment."
Cara takes a flask from her vest pocket and takes a long sip. She holds it out to Aroes, "Eh?"
Aroes declines the drink. "I've got my poisons but I prefer them in a more tamper proof form."
[Aroes]: Are we expecting any extraplanar guests or shall I assume the circle on the floor over there is for personal use?
Cara frowns at Aroes, "I ain't poisonin' my own brew, ya moon-brained!"
[Aroes]: And how am I to know if you have an antidote?
[Cara]: I ain't that smart.
[Aroes]: Sadly it's just better to not take the chance.
Marianna pushed the last pin into place. "Don't listen to her, dear." The woman stepped over, depositing the clipboard on the table. "She may be mischevious but it's not in her nature to harm someone without reason."
Cara shrugs. Who knows?
Aroes grins slyly under his hat. "But the question is, is it your nature?"
Marianna blinked. "Moi?" The woman removed her cap, raking her fingers through her dark hair. The warlock had a pleasant face, hard in places but softened by the warm smile she wore. "No, dear."
Marianna took her seat. "I won't spare the rod, but I shan't kill someone."
[Aroes]: An odd philosophy considering the...erm decor present.
Marianna frowned. "Hmm...?" She seemed to notice the place for the first time. "Oh. No, dear! This isn't our home."
[Marianna]: We cleared this place out just yesterday. Simply scouring it for anything of use.
[Aroes]: Ah, well that certainly answers quite a bit.
[Cara]: I tol' him we ain't clean the mess, yes.
Marianna hums. "But that's neither here nor there..." The woman drew a book over and peeled it open, quietly leafing through the pages until she found the man's photo. "Aroes Blackstone, yes?"
Aroes checks his pocketwatch. "Indeed, I take it the issue is pressing enough to warrant such a meeting?"
Marianna frowned. "Issue?" The woman drew a pen from her pocket and licked the tip. She began to write, every so often glancing up at the man before returing to the page.
[Marianna]: No, dear. Just here to ask you of a few questions. Where do you currently live?
[Aroes]: You're going to have to do some explaining first, ya shouldn't just give out personal information to anyone.
Marianna doesn't look up. "We shall simply say 'Stormwind' then." The woman noted it in the margins beneath his picture. "And we'll get to that in a bit, dear. I don't intend to keep you in the dark...Now, do you have any siblings?"
[Aroes]: Quite a few, if you count the numerous bastard childrne.
[Marianna]: Can you estimate?
Cara peers at you searchingly.
[Cara]: You counting, still?
Aroes shrugs. "Ten or so."
Marianna noted the number. "Sexual persuasion?" The woman's face was blank.
Aroes blinks. "I'm married...that was a bit of a personal question don't you think?"
Marianna looks up. "Personal information is designed to be personal." A little smile touched the corner of her mouth. "Shall I assume you were married to a woman and pit down 'heterosexual'?"
Aroes rolls his eyes. "Of course, and this better all be explained soon..."
Marianna nodded. The woman added a few last notes and snapped the book shut, replacing the cap. "Of course!" The woman smiled, nodding to the tea-pot beside Cara. "Cara, would you pour the man some tea? He's been a peach."
16:36:04 Cara shrugs, standing up and heading over to the stove..thing. She reaches up for the kettle and cup.
[Marianna]: Now! Questions...I am Marianna M. Bisen. And you, dear, are classified in my book as an individual of interest.
[Marianna]: And I wanted to see if that was the case.
Cara walks over to Aroes and holds up the cup of tea. "Here. It ain't poisoned."
Aroes gently takes the cup of tea. "Thank you. So why is it that I am in this book of yours?"
Marianna taps the front of the book. "Because you are classified as a person of interest." The woman smiled faintly. "I didn't write it. To be frank, I have only read a few pages."
[Marianna]: But your name is in it and it says that you have skills that make you desirable to individuals like me. That, and you seem rather accustomed to glowing circles and attempted assassinations.
[Aroes]: The latter moreso than I wish to be.
Marianna nodded. "Which lends me to say..." The woman eyed the darkly dressed man up and down, her lips pursed. "...You are a warlock."
Cara arches a brow.
Aroes claps his hands together. "Alas, that is where your book is wrong."
Marianna laughs. "No, I'm afraid they don't include professions. Just their backstories." The woman settled back. "Then what are you? Mage?"
Aroes shakes his head again. "That's strike two...I am what some would call a sorcerer of self."
[Marianna]: Ah. A priest! Sorry, dear...The lack of a silly headdress threw me for a loop
Cara shrugs. Who knows?
[Aroes]: While I do enjoy the occasional silly hat...they do get rather impractical.
[Cara]: S'why you need yerself a good hat.
Marianna nods. Idly she fingers her own silly, overly menacing hat. "There's some pleasure to it...But enough of that!" The woman waved the thought away. "A shadow priest, yes?"
[Aroes]: Aye.
[Cara]: Would he be in that there book if'n he was holy?
Marianna smiles softly. "That's pleasant."
[Marianna]: And what is your specialization, if I may ask? You're among friends here, dear...I'm a warlock and Cara here is a gnome."
[Cara]: Correction.
[Cara]: Caravan, here, is the Most Interesting Gnome in the World.
Aroes snickers. "Do you sometimes enjoy beer? Enough of my silliness though, my specialization is...shall we say domination."
[Marianna]: Mental magic then? Ah. You know, I always wondered if my fetish for [Aroes]: I suppose it's possible.
[Aroes]: But if I may be frank...I'm not entirely sure how long I shall be continuing my career so to speak.
Marianna opens up the book again and makes another note. "Really?" The woman looked up, a slight frown tugging the corner of her mouth. "The Light is that tempting to you?"
[Cara]: Mayhaps he's retiring to raise a whole quiver of Arrows?
Aroes shakes his head. "It's a...complicated issue. To put it simply...my power is waning."
Marianna stares blankly at Cara. "I..." The woman snapped her mouth shut and Aroes folds his arms. "Exactly, it's odd...my willpower has never been stronger but faith in myself is gone."
[Marianna]: Have you thought of undergoing a trial? Something that re-affirms your abilities and strengths? And that includes dragons, in some way?
[Aroes]: Sadly no, I've held a debate with myself and have logically shown that this road no longer holds any gain for me.
Marianna takes out her pen and scratches out a line. The woman's smile returns. "Well, dear..." The woman slipped the pen into the book's spine and eased the ledger shut. "I think I can help you."
[Aroes]: Is that so?
[Marianna]: People crave money. People crave power. And, sometimes, people crave purpose. What do you want, dear?
Aroes smiles an eerie toothy smile. "So that I might send the minds, bodies, and souls of a treacherous few to meet the creatures of the Netherworld."
Marianna laughed. "Now that is a desire!" The woman pushed her chair back and stood. "That's a very good desire..." The woman wagged a finger at the man.
[Marianna]: There are many ways to do that, dear. You can use guns. Chemicals. Or even magic.
[Aroes]: Guns and chemicals are too crude, a magical death is what they deserve.
Marianna stepped around the table, her hand dragging along the wooden chair backs. "Affliction? Necromancy? You will need to pick your poison, dear."
Aroes taps his chin. "I'm thinking entropy...it would be so fitting in ways you wouldn't believe."
[Marianna]: You don't need to tell me that, dear. But entropy...? That's Summoned [Aroes]: Different mechanisms...but the same general idea.
Marianna leaned over the chair's back, her arms folded. "Shadowmage, then?"
[Aroes]: I do quite like the sound of that.
Marianna nods. "Well..." The woman glanced back at the ruined chamber. "This is a poor place to pitch the offer."
[Marianna]: But if you wish, I can offer you the training you need.
[Aroes]: There are a few others that could teach me as well...the problem is that they know me.
[Aroes]: Can I trust that you will not relent if the training becomes dangerous or rigorous?
[Marianna]: I was to ask you the same, dear. I do not intend to offer you a kind lesson.
[Aroes]: I believe we are in agreement then.
Marianna clasps the man on the shoulder, beaming. "You are too kind, my dear. Though I will ask...That you keep this work private."
[Marianna]: Understood?
[Aroes]: Once again, I'd ask the same.
[Marianna]: Of course.
Marianna wound an arm around the man's shoulder and lead him towards the steps. "Now...You will need to give me some time. I need to prepare a lesson."
[Aroes]: Shall I assume you'll send the gnome to fetch me?
[Marianna]: Hmm? No, dear. I think I'll see you myself.
Marianna gave the man a little smile. "And don't be offended if I send some nice boys and girls to follow you. Just for my security."
[Aroes]: Just see to it that they don't try to shiv me in a dark alley.
Marianna laughed. "Hush! Dear, do not worry. I abhore murder." The woman winked. "If you do something wrong, I will simply punish people around you."
[Aroes]: How cruel...I have a feeling this is going to be fun.
Aroes nods. "Well, I do look forward to your messenger, Mistress Bisen."
Marianna winked. "Please..." She nudged the man forward and towards the door. "Just call me Lady Bisen."

Spoilered for messyness and ungodly wall of text.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Void of a Legend Aphetoros 0 595 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Aphetoros