The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

How do you do enchanting?
This thread is simple, really. I'd like to hear everyone's stories about enchanted items. How do your characters enchant (if they do)? What kinds of enchanted items do people have? In your individual roleplays, what kind of role do magic items take if they exist at all?

I'm curious to see what people are doing with Enchanting because it's always puzzled me that I rarely see enchanting in the wild.
I actually avoid enchanting as a whole since I've had loads of arguments in the past about Kirabo's enchanted blades. Things like being called out for godmodding, powergaming, etc.
Riael enchants.
He is no expert even though he has done it for quite some time now.
And truth be told it's more commonplace that he disenchants and feeds on the residues instead of allowing them to condensate and keep them for later use, gotta love addictions.

I roleplay that disenchanting is a slow process and that it appears as if the item is crumbling apart and motes of magic float away like embers from a fire. Thought the magic makes them in the end land below/just around the item being broken down. An additional reason I RP this as a slow process is that Riael isn't gifted on any kind of magic and he has to have disenchanted any kind of magic he wants to imbue an item with, so he takes his time to really feel and memorize the magic.

So a limitation I've added to Riael is that he can only reproduce magic on items that he has already disenchanted. But I don't imagine the enchanting process as equally time consuming. First step is that the actual enchantment is chosen, then Riael considers the levels of the different energies that would require (IE the different ingame reagents). He "activates" them so they revert back to an untangliable form and shapes them into the desired magic and places it -within- the item like a framework-mesh and not as an outer layer. I guess it's a bit cliché but I imagine it a bit like weaving flows to create the effect, perhaps not how it really functions ICly, but it's the idea I have in mind when I RP enchanting.

Examples that have come up in-game:
- Riael has enchanted another farstriders bow to overall strengthen the wood, the bowstring as well as "magically sharpen" the points to make it equally deadly if used in close combat. The basic idea was the he used +def on the wood, titanweave on the bowstring and +dmg on the metalclad tips.
- A golden ring was enchanted to emanate vibrations small enough for the wearer not to notice but strong enough for a jormungar to follow, allowing Himras to stalk said person when Riael left the Hearthglen area.
- Brooch also used as mantleclasp imbued with a spell that deepened the shadows within the pulled up cowl, making it very hard to make out the features of the person though quite easily spotting race.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
(05-21-2012, 01:30 AM)Bovel Wrote: Riael enchants.
And truth be told it's more commonplace that he disenchants and feeds on the residues instead of allowing them to condensate and keep them for later use, gotta love addictions.

I roleplay that disenchanting is a slow process and that it appears as if the item is crumbling apart and motes of magic float away like embers from a fire. Thought the magic makes them in the end land below/just around the item being broken down. An additional reason I RP this as a slow process is that Riael isn't gifted on any kind of magic and he has to have disenchanted any kind of magic he wants to imbue an item with, so he takes his time to really feel and memorize the magic.

So a limitation I've added to Riael is that he can only reproduce magic on items that he has already disenchanted. But I don't imagine the enchanting process as equally time consuming. First step is that the actual enchantment is chosen, then Riael considers the levels of the different energies that would require (IE the different ingame reagents). He "activates" them so they revert back to an untangliable form and shapes them into the desired magic and places it -within- the item like a framework-mesh and not as an outer layer. I guess it's a bit cliché but I imagine it a bit like weaving flows to create the effect, perhaps not how it really functions ICly, but it's the idea I have in mind when I RP enchanting.

- Riael has enchanted another farstriders bow to overall strengthen the wood, the bowstring as well as "magically sharpen" the points to make it equally deadly if used in close combat. The basic idea was the he used +def on the wood, titanweave on the bowstring and +dmg on the metalclad tips.
- A golden ring was enchanted to emanate vibrations small enough for the wearer not to notice but strong enough for a jormungar to follow, allowing Himras to stalk said person when Riael left the Hearthglen area.
- Brooch also used as mantleclasp imbued with a spell that deepened the shadows within the pulled up cowl, making it very hard to make out the features of the person though quite easily spotting race.

It all makes prefect sense now. : D
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

Quote:- A golden ring was enchanted to emanate vibrations small enough for the wearer not to notice but strong enough for a jormungar to follow, allowing Himras to stalk said person when Riael left the Hearthglen area.

That is awesome. I love that idea.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
I thought it was completely badass as well xD.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

(05-21-2012, 01:30 AM)Bovel Wrote: Riael enchants.

You, sir, just made me want to recreate Roove, make him a tiny bit less of an a-.. <insert mean word> and have him be an enchanter. I've always wanted to RP one but I never understood .. How to RP one. Though I have a question, how do I tell what ingrediants are needed for the enchants? Or do I just follow the OOC proffesion's ingrediants?
[Image: crashbandicootdrak.png]
[Image: IconSmall_Undead_Male.gif]Chad - 'Crazy' Forsaken
[Image: IconSmall_Bolvar.gif]Drakus Ashfollow - Human Tinker

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo1_r1_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo2_r1_250.gif]
This thread makes me want to remake my martial enchanter.

Ahhhh, dwarves.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
I avoid any enchanting that would increase the power of anything.

Aendron's enchantments are usually on documents that are made only for his eyes. He'll enchant the papers in a way that jumbles the text to anyone other than the enchanter. He enchanted his engagement ring so it could not be pulled from his hand by anyone but himself.

Kirolan's enchanting hasn't been played out much. He used to enchant flowers to keep them from wilting. He would also enchant his paintings to keep colors from fading.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
(05-21-2012, 02:16 AM)Drak Wrote: Though I have a question, how do I tell what ingrediants are needed for the enchants? Or do I just follow the OOC proffesion's ingrediants?

Lorew-wise? I have no idea. I just improvise to make it sound reasonable.
And to me there are three main groups of reagents; neutral dust, stable crystals and unstable essences. On that basis I assume an item that is gonna be hardened (+defense) would have more stable energies than chaotic and perhaps even some non-magical material that boosts the effect. As if adding traces of titanium makes it easier for the enchantment to mimic that.

(05-21-2012, 05:21 AM)Aphetoros Wrote: This thread makes me want to remake my martial enchanter.

Martial enchanting would work differently from what I gather, since they can extract energies from the act of destruction and shape them into enchants.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.

If you do 'apprentice RP' I'll totally make an enchanter for you to train. I always do things better when ICly taught for some reason.
[Image: crashbandicootdrak.png]
[Image: IconSmall_Undead_Male.gif]Chad - 'Crazy' Forsaken
[Image: IconSmall_Bolvar.gif]Drakus Ashfollow - Human Tinker

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo1_r1_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo2_r1_250.gif]
I kinda wanna make an enchanter that disenchants and sells the residues and such to BElves for their own use. mm, dealers~ :P

Done derailing! Good topic, though!
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
That Abjurer I mentioned in my recent thread also does enchantments of the practical sort, such as curing paint and easy-to-clean fabrics. She also has a fondness for enchanting napkin rings because they are just the right size for fitting wrapped up scrolls, parchments and other odd ends into. These are mostly for storage, but she has a few from her teacher that can act as magic mailboxes.

I love the prospect of enchantment when its applied to practical situations; ideally, other people are encouraged to think about their characters in new ways just so they can figure out what daily problems such magic would solve.
What you've all said is about as much as I've approached it over the years. Small items enchanted with beneficial cantrips or other minor magical effects.

It's strange to think how few enchantments I've heard about come from the ingame profession though. As far as I can remember I haven't had many IC'ly enchanted weapons or armor. The only ones I do know of were made at the peak of my old Warlock's power when he enchanted himself a blazing longsword and a robe of superior armor. That was something like two or three years ago.
I don't think there's much appeal in enchanting someone's chestplate so that it's even harder... the things is made of metal to start with and could the smith use magic to harden it wouldn't he in the first place? And to me enchantments on items should be rare, complex and most of all expensive but I could see the point in making enchants on weapons and especially on cloaks. A piece of fabric that allows you to brush of rougher hits, how do you explain that? Challenge accepted!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enchanting. Killachipmunk 8 1,532 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Delmure