The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

I Challenge You
With the Portal in place nowadays, it really isn't so common to find people out and about in the wilds anymore. I remember back in the days when I joined the server, it would be common to see people travelling between different outposts and the road between the Gurubashi Arena and Booty Bay was usually well travelled. Even if there was the nuisance of occassional attacks by the mobs in the area, people would still travel the road on their low-level characters. Either by running really, really fast, or bringing a high-level friend with them for protection.

The crowd on the server's been a bit on the low down. School's been starting again and Guild Wars 2 being released has stolen attention of a great many and is taking up a lot of peoples' time. It's harder to find RP and more people tend to stick to the OOC area and only venture out with a few friends of theirs or not venture out at all.

There really aren't a lot of spontaneous locations available for RP. Especially not if you want to balance all possible options for alignment and personality type.

Except...

Our characters usually need to travel. Taking yourself from point A to B usually takes a while, in IC time, unless you're a filthy mage cheater (>:C YOU HEARD ME) and the roads are really excellent to start RP on. The roads leading to and from Goblin Ports, especially, since a lot of travel is also done by sea in order to cross between the continents. 'course, travel by zeppelin is also common, but ships are so much cooler. Right?

Either way...

[Image: 29ppu9w.jpg]
Roads are awesome.
And yes, that's the lowest graphics setting.
What'chu gon' do 'bout it?

My challenge to the RPers of CotH is to use the roads more. When there's no RP to be had elsewhere, get on the roads. Announce your presence on said roads so others can come along, and I'm hoping a whole bunch of you will get in on it when people do take to the roads. Because, as I've said already, roads are totally awesome. Get out there and RP. Surely, you can think of some reason why your character would, somehow and sometime, find itself travelling one of these roads. I would suggest taking roads that aren't too limiting to cross-faction, but that's entirely up to your own preference.

Bring a friend. If you're low-level, make sure you don't go alone unless you are confident you'll be able to survive travelling where you're going.

Much love and happy RPing!
//Loxmardin
[Image: challenge.jpg]
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
...I love on the road RP. Blast, why did I choose this morning to uninstall WoW? *Facepalm*

That kind of RP seems to give alot more chances for random events. Such as... "Jesus christ its a lion!", running into rough terrain (Not every road is smooth and easy to navigate in wow), and then there's Weather. My personal favorite... Did you know it rains like, 15 times a day in Duskwood, every day of the week? I cannot recall how many times Sersay grumbled about the rain in Duskwood.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
I support this! I'm organizing something that ties in veeeeeeeery well with this.

Spoiler:
[Image: Mr-Burns-liking-villans-more-than-heroes...19-400.gif]
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
I've wanted to express my wish that people would RP more randomly, like they did in the youth of my roleplaying on CoTH, just a year ago. I miss the times when you could walk into a city and you could find people in the nearest inn, or you could travel along a road and run into a couple of other people. I miss when your character could sit down and drink with friends without it having to be per-arranged. I miss barfights kicking up over a small slight, and people throwing themselves into it. I miss when you could run into everything from Death Knights in Saronite armor to lowly beggars along the roads between Ratchet, the Crossroads and Orgrimmar. I miss the days when you could never really know who you ran into, and the worlds was wide out there and full of random adventure.

/nostalgia
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
Tempting but I think the staff will need to encourage players to do this. Saying it in a post and expecting people to just do it won't really work as far as I see it, but I wanna see how this idea unfolds.
[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]
It's not so much the staff as it's me posing a challenge to the playerbase. There really is no reward in this besides getting yourself some good RP, and the staff won't be able to serve it to people if they won't get out there and try on their own accord as well. Things like these don't have to start with staff members. :P
I am in agreement that actual travel far exceeds the use of portals in terms of both realism and personal enjoyment. Often times your original goal is detered as you wander across something wonderful but entirely unrelated to your current pursuit. Historical Institute will be taking a nice little journey by foot from SW to the Ironband Digsite today if anyone wants to give their .lo rp boots some practice.
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
What's this I'm hearing? A chance to spring random events upon people walking down the road which is much easier than in a city?

Lookin' forward to seeing people on the roads in that case.
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I saw a major decline in random travel rp after the core changes. I think it became less fulfilling to do travel rp when you were constantly being flagged down by gorillas in STV, or crocs in this location (I forget which) or hyenas in the Barrens. Even if you were sticking faithfully to the roads the hazards felt a little random and disruptive and I don't know if that ended up being deterring in the long run.

If I do travel rp or rp out in uncivilized places I use the non-instanced versions of bigger zones.
The only reason why the travel RP doesn't exist on roads anymore is because of gorillas. And other mobs that Wuvvums pointed out.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

Gorillas are the bane of roleplay! D:
(09-05-2012, 09:13 AM)SunThas Wrote: The only reason why the travel RP doesn't exist on roads anymore is because of gorillas. And other mobs that Wuvvums pointed out.

It's a valid point, but not the only reason. The portal being able to take you to pretty much every point of interest (and existing in most of the RP areas) saves a lot of travel-time, OOCly. Which means that, if people can use the portal/polyporters instead, there's no reason why they should try taking to the roads at all if it isn't to RP privately with a friend.

So, I think people have gotten a wee bit lazy, too. :P There should probably be ways to solve the mob problems, though.
Speaking of Gorillas, I caught one on me and Krilari's road trip today. So there. Gorrilas are not the reason people don't walk. They are a reason people should walk.

*Edited the name to the correct person, by Lox*

*facepalm*
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
Road RP is fun. I actually try to use it as often as possible. Sadly, this challenge is impossible for me to take, as RP for me is extremely time precious. If I had hours to spare every day before 10 PM, this challenge would be accepted with gladness :(
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]