The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Let's TexMod! (Updated OP)
...Okay, so now the program is called, "uMod," but same diff. The point is, uMod is a program that allows one to mod a variety of Direct X based games with great ease, and without any alteration of the game's program files themselves. And while the general stance is that we're not going to add mods willy-nilly as a requirement to play on this server, it would be fully permissible for users to make custom, cosmetic mods and pass it around to other users.

So that's what I'm hoping to do- make some simple mods here that would add a bit of flavor to CotH. Fix a glaring issue in the texture of otherwise grand equipment, tailor some gear to guild tastes, and maybe fix some of those God-awful hair textures, etc.

What I'm not looking to do is turn the world visually topsy-turvy or irreparably change unique items to suit the interests of a single character. Unless agreed on by the majority of users of such a mod, all changes would strive to maintain the color and "feel" of the original equipment. Blue hoods would remain blue, spooky shields would remain spooky, etc.
Special attention would need to be paid to be sure that any texture modified for the purpose of one model would not adversely affect the appearance of others.

For Mac Users:
One thing to note is that, to my knowledge, uMod and its mods are incompatible with the Mac client because that uses OpenGL rather than Direct X, but WineHQ reports it to be fully compatible with Wine. This means that Mac users should be able to use the PC version on their Mac, as long as they have an Intel computer and at least Tiger.

Useful links:
uMod
And informative article about WoW models and their limitations

A uMod tutorial to get you familiar with what the program does

Suggestions/Requests open!
A mod is no fun if there's no content!

General suggestions are for making changes that would affect all instances of an item to either make an object more relevent to roleplay, (Making a shield with the Lordaeron crest blue) or to just to be a general improvement. (Like smoothing out aweful hair textures) Though texture edits can be made to pretty much anything in the game with uMod, unless there's just something in the environment that just needs to be changed, I'm going to be focusing on equipment. Items which, when the texture is edited, show up that way for everyone include weapons/shields/held items, pauldrons, helmets and capes.

Many item glows are also able to be removed!

Many items, especially vanilla weaponry, are pretty generic, and adding details that are either neutral or are lore-relevent (putting a bird on a shield, or putting the Ironforge emblem on an axe) are generally welcomed.
But because of the universal effects of these items, I'm reluctant to mod them to be tailored to the tastes of an individual. I mean, adding blood runes to those pauldrons may work for a Death Knight, but not so much for the Blood Night who also uses them for their ensemble. Items that are visual duplicates but don't share the same textures may be candidates for being edited for guild tastes, as that is within the interests of several people.

Some other ideas for these general changes are for items that seem to never otherwise be used, or have features that could be used in new ways, especially with transparency. For example, I've been experimenting with those silly, high collar priest head items, hoping that they might wrap around the entire neck and possible serve as a model for Kidnapped collars. Making the antlers on some druid helms transparent also seems like a possibility, as RPing with antlers isn't really a thing on CotH and we could always use more nice hood models. Feel free to think outside the box!

As for Personal Requests, well, uMod perceives WoW character textures in a very interesting way. Instead of thinking "this model is displaying texture X, Y and Z, layered over each other in a certain way" It seems to think "The values for items X, Y and Z are assigned to this model. Clearly, Blizzard are very patient people and made a texture for every face, skin and armor texture combination imaginable. The texture here is therefore: beard#1-Skin#2-face#4-hair#5-shirtX-pantsY-bootsZ."

This may make uMod seem a bit dumb, but God bless it for this, because this means that, short of the unlikely event in which another character has the same race, gender, skin tone, facial feature and hair color, on top of having the exact same outfit, (other than the aforementioned pauldrons, cape, helm, and held equipment) you can alter the texture of a character to your heart's content without affecting anyone else's gear, with essentially the entire character model being a blank canvas. Keep in mind, though, that the geosets (shape of boots, gloves, etc) are still dependent on the character's base set, and the lower half of the tabards are not individually moddable and still rely on the content of the chest area of the character texture, due to the model UVs.

Some good ideas for custom details
Scars
Tattoos
Lack of eyes (hint hint, for all you demon hunters)
Runes, emblems and rust on armor
customizing the affect of eye glows (reflected light on the face could make them seem brighter, a yellow tint would suggest a female druid with a pale, amber glow)
Customize Forsaken bone color
Customize forsaken features/ give ghostlight-less characters more features options
Making facial features softer or harder, more youthful or aged
custom tabards
Manly manly draenic chest hair
nail polish (possibly removal, for blood elves)
Jewelry
Changing the color of existing gear
Combining details of existing gear
Putting clearly suitable, but mechanically unavailable gear on a character (such as blatantly cloth-ie Druid or Shaman gear)
sticking a small dagger in your characters' boots
Ghouls looking especially ghoulie
Removal of the gold Draenei rings

Some more difficult or unlikely to be included ideas
A, from-scratch, entirely new set of armor (You're free to do it yourself, but I'm not)
textures indended primarily for /adult use
Using textures of armor that appears to be of an off-limits type (no putting your priest in full plate, K?)
Things that are not lore friendly (srsly, guiz)

Ideas that can't be done
Asymmetrical anything (That's just how WoW works, sorry)
transparency (shows up as black on the model)
custom hair, (Other than eyebrows, a close shaven facial hair and the roots of hair)
Modifying eye glow effects
Editing of Tauren horns and tails? (seems to be the "hair" geoset of the Tauren, and it uses a universal texture)

What I need for character customization
-A picture of the character at the login screen with a plain view of their hair, skin and face
-A list of the exact names of all of their equipment, other than pauldrons, cape, helmet and held gear
-A clear description of what you'd like done to your character

To Do
Fix hair for all the Vanilla races.
DAT LORDAERON SHIELD

FEELSGOODMAN
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Links broke?
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
Can you fix orc hair? D: Ugh, greasy, stringy mess.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
. . . Is that not the idea, C0r? :P I cannot envision orcs being paragons of modern haircare even at the best of times.

But yeah. Fix those links. That Lordaeron shield is relevant to my interests >:V

I would not get too excited about anything like this, however. Any decision of this scale would likely have to come from one of the reds, and it wouldn't be made lightly if at all.
Does this mean we could fix the shawls on female characters?
For the links not working, right click the images, and select "open image in new tab", or "copy image URL" and then paste it into your toolbar.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(09-18-2012, 06:31 AM)c0rzilla Wrote: Can you fix orc hair? D: Ugh, greasy, stringy mess.
Probably. At the very least, they can be made less horribly aliased. Blizzard was really lazy and reuse a lot of the hair textures for early models in multiple different styles, especially with Horde hair, it seems. :<
Messing with the look of one hair texture could mess with the look of other hair. The worst offender right now seems to be Forsaken hair, though. That stuff's a mess.

Edit: Attached is a demonstration of what happens when I alter the blue-black orc hair texture.
And yes, there is just one texture. For all the orc hair, beard and braids.
WHY, Blizzard?

(09-18-2012, 09:09 AM)Sol Wrote: . . . Is that not the idea, C0r? :P I cannot envision orcs being paragons of modern haircare even at the best of times.

But yeah. Fix those links. That Lordaeron shield is relevant to my interests >:V

I would not get too excited about anything like this, however. Any decision of this scale would likely have to come from one of the reds, and it wouldn't be made lightly if at all.
I'm not saying making this official; I'm just offering this as a voluntary mod to use, like how people can use TRP2 at will to enhance or customize their experience.
Anyway, mods have to happen through uMod's Direct X injection; making this an additional .MPQ would be a major pain and would make the modification process and accessibility a much longer and more tedious process. (like, going through four other programs per item edit sort of time and effort) That being said, if people get really into this, we might could make a of patch file for more ease of use, though with the finickie need for normal maps, using uMod would allow us to use better looking textures with greater ease.

(09-18-2012, 09:55 AM)Scout Wrote: Does this mean we could fix the shawls on female characters?
That depends... It seems like armor textures and things applied to the character model mesh are giving uMod a lot of trouble, and have caused WoW to crash for me. But seeing as I can edit facial features, I may just be being a derp. Either way, I must experiment further.

(09-18-2012, 10:05 AM)CappnRob Wrote: For the links not working, right click the images, and select "open image in new tab", or "copy image URL" and then paste it into your toolbar.

I don't know what happened to my accounts on other image sites, I suck at image hosting, you guys are all going to be stuck with ugly attachment notices on the bottom of the post now.
I did a bunch of experimenting, and managed to get the dark blue night elf hair texture to look good with the belf hair texture. I also added a shawl to Therai's robe, and some symbols too.

http://i.imgur.com/M3LSF.jpg
...I am going to cry in a corner, because this as amazing and indecipherable as quantum physics to me.
(09-18-2012, 06:18 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: ...I am going to cry in a corner, because this as amazing and indecipherable as quantum physics to me.

No, it really isn't! :D

Still, with WoW, its a bit finicky. uMod perceives the "texture" of models with armor that fits into the character geosets (hands, wrists, tabards shirt, chest, legs, belts and boots) as well as the skin type of any one character as one specific texture.
This means that if I were to edit the texture of my draenei lady with the palest skin, wearing only Acolyte's Pants, the edited texture would disappear if I changed her skin tone or added or changed any of her non cloak/helmet/pauldron/held gear.

While I can't universally, say, fix weird textures on a shirt for all versions of it, this opens the door for every player able to have completely unique gear without affecting the looks of others!

Also, its important to note that editing the face texture, you'll modify the facial features for everyone of that hair and skin tone.
I...only half understood that. Sorry. :/
(09-18-2012, 06:31 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: I...only half understood that. Sorry. :/

Well, do you have ideas you'd like to see for a character?
Think of anything from the neck down as being able to have any texture you'd like!
Hmm. I'll think on that and PM you. Don't want to clutter this with my derp.
[Image: Ag6tY.jpg]

[Image: bDCA4.jpg]

Fun with tabards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  updated? shadowpray 2 718 12-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Last Post: shadowpray
  HELP I UPDATED! Dondaman320 0 603 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Dondaman320