The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Reigen Rants: Open Office
Open office, as everyone knows, is when a GM announces to the server that they will be taking questions from the player-base via the table in the OOC zone or whispers. The designated spot is pretty obvious, a table with two chairs so the GMs are able to be face to virtual face to the ones asking the questions so we can give a response in real-time rather than someone needing to wait for the PD to be answered or a ticket. It is, in a sense, a way for GMs to interact with the player-base and help prove that we're really not all the scary and that they can come to us with questions or any other such issues.

However...

I've noticed, as have a few other GMs, that the moment we announce an open office and sit at the table...the table gets swarmed with players who don't even have a question. People jump around, spam emotes, sit on the table, sit on -us- and have a massive 'inb4 the GM' fest when someone does ask a question. Normally we ask that players leave us be during the time and sometimes they comply. This has not been the case recently. It is getting to the point where we have to threaten people with muting and kicks from the server so we can run an open office undistracted. When we have to ask someone to stop about ten times, then something is clearly wrong and we have started to become very agitated by it. It's hard to ask nicely anymore.

Below are some things that everyone should keep in mind when an open office is announced. These are by no means official, but suggestions on how to make the process much smoother on everyone involved. The last thing everyone wants is a bunch of irritated GMs trying to answer questions, only to get drowned out by the amount of spam that goes on when an open office happens. Each GM's preference may be different and each GM has a different point where enough is enough. The ones I listed are what I would like when I host an OO.

Open Office Manners
  • When someone asks a question, let the GMs answer. It's nice that you want to help, but let us do our jobs. If we need help, we will ask for it. This is our chance to bond with the players asking the questions so they are not afraid to come to us. If we get shut out, it hardly helps our ability to show that we are not evil and scary people just waiting to ban someone.
  • If you do not have a question, please stand away from the table. If you come up with a question then you are free to come over and stand in line if there is one.
  • Do not jump around the table/Sit on the table/Sit on the GM. It's really just distracting and does not make our job any easier when we are constantly having to ask people to stop.
  • When asked to stop something, do so. We do not want to resort to muting/kicking people from the server for something so trivial.
  • Do not swarm the GM with emotes. This is also very distracting when we are attempting to read and respond to the players asking a question. We're not asking you to stop the general chatter you were doing before-hand, just that we do not want you to add to it by /hugging or /arming the GM after the announcement.
  • Only ask serious questions. I personally get tired when someone comes to the table after an announcement, and other people are in line behind them, to ask things that have no relevance to the server. If no one is around the table and no one seems to be using the chair, then you can come up and be silly if you want.
  • Do not argue with the GM over an answer. If you really disagree with it, just go to the PD about it to get a second or third opinion.

Once more, I beg of you to keep these in mind and most of all respect when a GM asks for something to stop. That's all I have to say on the matter, other GMs are welcome to come up with their own standards for when they run an open office, or just use mine if they want. Comments from all are also welcomed.

/end rant
I'd like to suggest to place the Open Office table a bit more far away from the Main OOC spot. (Maybe somewhere near the Profession trainers?) I think less people would 'spam' the chat there. /shrug. ((Just my opinion.))
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
I don't think Open Office works as well in front of everyone else as it does through tickets. Open Office has become this thing where players swamp one GM player, so when a person actually asks a relevant question the GM probably can't give as thorough of a response when five other random conversations are happening at the same time. At least, this is what I've observed. The process of writing a ticket pushes the player to be a little more serious than when standing around the table on their character and I'm sure that if the GM has that add-on that keeps track of whispers (forget the name of it) it's easier on them too. Not that the table approach isn't helpful either, because when the GM doesn't know the answer to a question somebody else around might. I think that a lot of players don't remember or realize that there is a behavioral standard surrounding Open Office and that's why you guys are having those problems; not everyone regulars the forum to see posts like this.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
It is also important to note that if you're looking for a second opinion -- rather than attending multiple GM open offices, please open up a Private Discussion thread. This allows us (as well as you) to see what our fellow GMs have said in regards to a topic. If a question is overly complicated (or vague "What can I not do?" "What can I do?") please bring it to Private Discussion.

The PD Forum has gotten a serious revamp and an efficiency booster so, please, consider that channel! :D
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
I agree the open office might rather be moved, BUT I'll try not to spam when people are asking question >.< Also GMs are soo evil, that's why I like 'em:3
In darkness we are born, in shadows we are raised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK4h9xR7Dec
Replying to Ghurm.

While it is true that not everyone visits the forums, not every GM who is available cannot go in-game. Thus, we often encourage the usage of PD threads for players who have questions.

-
Nevertheless, the original post is moreso a call for common courtesy. Consider it like a live Q&A with the company--you do not burst from the crowd to sit on the speaker's lap while he's answering someone else's question. It's extremely rude and distracting.

I personally like the current location of the Open Office because of easy access for players while they're idling. We won't blast you for having a chat about something else while you're seated at the fire. It's just a call for courtesy for those who try to answer questions for us or be distractions by sitting/jumping around our table.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
I must have missed the memo, because I had no idea that that's what the table was for. I just thought it was a cool table.

I second the idea of moving the office, and I wouldn't mind it maybe feeling a bit more private, too.
*Will stop trying to steal the GM seat during open office*

Open Office, in my opinion, is purposefully public. While a GM should answer a question first, and mostly alone, players may have different or (and, in my experience more often than not) correct information the GM does not know. It has happened to me a lot. Naturally, yes, it shouldn't be one person who believes they know everything and anything butting in and just taking over the GM spot, but if the GM is wrong or doesn't know, it should be (in my opinion) encouraged for someone around who does know to step up and say something, but not overwhelm the GM.

And for the love of the Great Earthshaker:

Don't sit in the GM's chair. Even if nobody is there. Don't even for a minute let people think, even in passing, you are a GM if you are not.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
*Is sad but will give up trying to sit on the seat...probably* :3

I'm going to be honest.

I had no clue that table was for that purpose. And I almost never have any clue when and open discussion is going.

Sometimes I just end up logging in, seeing a butt-ton of people in OOC as usual, and I treat it like I -always- treat the OOC zone.

I've probably gone over, laid on that table, and have been more obnoxious seeming that I've intended, because there's -nothing- to tell us that is going on currently when we log in without seeing the initial message.

For this reason, I think it's best to have a certain area where it's extremely obvious that there is some sort of office open up, otherwise it just comes off a the usual flash in the OOC zone.

Edit: You know what would be great? And OOC location called "Open Office" area, and have it be a small place intended only for this purpose. That way there's less confusion and noone will unintentionally detract from the open office.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I'll admit I've jumped into GM Q&A sessions. And then right after I answer I'm like dangit.

I think this is an unintended consequence of changing how the GM Q&A chair used to be (those dreaded three words). Or, perhaps not. No one's really analyzed anything, but remember at first how it was up a set of stairs? A bit imposing, but I think people tended to leave the questioning-and-answering pair alone. Or, moreso than now. An unintended consequence of the GMs appearing more friendly.

Granted, you back to that way, the new unintended consequence might be Oh hey, the GMs are so distant now. Why aren't they on our level?

Might be something you'll need to remind people of over and over.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
While I do find the concept of a seperate open office area appealling, I would note that often times the question someone is asking can be pertinent to others around and very likely prevents the same inquiry from being made over and over again. Additionally the more informed the player base is, the better they can aid their fellow players when an OO is not going on. There are definate advantages to have open office where it is. As has already been said, the issue at hand remains a respect thing.
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reigen's Rescues. Reigen 61 9,714 01-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Reigen Ruminates: Guild Bases Reigen 19 3,817 10-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Beltharean
  Reigen Requests: Event Times! Reigen 10 3,240 09-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Reigen Ruminates: Burning Bridges Reigen 0 1,113 08-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Reigen
  Reigen Ruminates: Reporting Reigen 6 1,918 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM