The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Dual-Boxing and Roleplay
A matter that I've been meaning to discuss with the CotH community about is...how do you lot feel about people who dual-box roleplay? That is to say, have two (or more) characters on at a time, either in the same RP or in different RPs? Do you do this yourself, and is it beneficial or hindering in the long run? Are there certain instances in which it works or doesn't?
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
Interesting topic.

I, personally, feel that I only have some modicum of success with it if both characters are in the same RP, and even then, I feel that my character personalities bleed together into something that isn't representational of either of them. In the long run, I think I'm just not smart enough to pull it off, so I don't try. There's something to be said for devoting all of your attention to a single character.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
It doesn't usually bother me unless my RP partner is taking awhile to respond (and then I has a sad D: ).

Speaking from a facilitation point, it's quite nice for, say, an event where you need multiple characters present. I like the option of not sacrifing my own character so that I can bring in the Event Character(s). Lately, with Cata coming, a lot of the events have been overlapping in scheduling, so while I cannot possibly catch them all, it's nice to not have to pick and choose.

Is it perfect? Not at all. Would it be ideal to focus on only one RP at a time? Absolutely! But it's nice to have the option, for me and for others. :)

Neat little thought-thread here.

Edit: Also, off-topic note, your army of hopping sprites makes me anxious, Kiffles. I feel like they're getting ready to spring on me. :3 (LAWD HAVE MERCAAAAY)
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
Personally I don't do it often, unless for some reason I've come into a situation where I need two characters on at the same time, which I try to avoid if at all possible. -Usually- in that scenario I'm trying to run an event or something, and I've got one character acting as an antagonist.

As for playing when people do this---it depends. I've had times when people try to use this as a way to 'back up' another character in some way, and then it gets annoying and feels 'abusive' to the duel accounts thing. But, then again, that's not very different from someone liking to like, three other characters to come over and antagonize you as well.

But, that's pretty rare. Most times I can't even tell when others are duel boxing, unless I know the person super well.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I'm not able to do it. I do think we should bow down to the multi-boxing god that is ImagenAyshun, however.

And I want sprites :<
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(01-18-2013, 09:26 PM)Caravan Wrote: Speaking from a facilitation point, it's quite nice for, say, an event where you need multiple characters present. I like the option of not sacrifing my own character so that I can bring in the Event Character(s).

I concur with what Caravan has stated.
OhmygoodnessIdidn'texpectthismanyrepliesalready--

You guys already make a great deal of valid points. My own feelings on doing it myself - I'm not anywhere near attentive enough to tend to two different characters at the same time, and those who can have a far greater attention span than I.

My stance on other people doing it is...a bit more of a gray area. Back when I traversed the forsaken lands of Furcadia - which is a heavily text-based sort of socializing RPG game...thing - people would play two, three, four characters at the same time. Since there wasn't a great need for actually maneuvering your character around much (the game was sort've set up like an isometric chess board) it was easier to do so. However, RP on there frequently consisted of posts that were paragraph to multi-paragraph. One can see how frustrating that would be, RPing with someone who was not only RPing with you, but with other people as well. Having to wait for an hour for someone to post is just not even worth the time. I played a great deal of Spider Solitaire in my day. :l

It seems like with WoW's interface, if someone is able to dual-box well, more power to them. It's far easier to do it when you're making replies that are only a few sentences long, tops. And I can certainly see how it could be handy for events and what-not. It only irks me if someone's quiet for a long while or it seems like their attention's not really in the RP anymore, which is inevitably what would happen if I tried doing it. Pff.;;

Cara, the sprites are coming for you. Or rather, to vanquish your creepy signature gif. Best to sleep with one eye open tonight.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
(01-18-2013, 09:49 PM)Kiffles Wrote: Cara, the sprites are coming for you. Or rather, to vanquish your creepy signature gif. Best to sleep with one eye open tonight.

Spoiler:
you can try

[Image: creepy-film-movie-nightmare-old-Favim.co..._large.jpg]
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
I think it hinders you in the long run. I've tried it, and know I prefer only playing one character at a time.
Dual-boxing is something I do rather often, though I do my best to keep them in separate RPs. Rarely I can pull off a triple-box, though usually my attention becomes too torn and one box is cut. I'm used to juggling different characters in different scenarios from ye olde days of IM RP where most people usually take their time to reply. I usually gauge wether I can or can't use more than one character at once based off the reply speed of the other player and by the content of the RP.

Multiboxing can prove to be difficult and some can do it rather well. I think I do it well (enough) a majority of the time, though my friends aren't afraid to tell me if I'm getting sloppy.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
I don't mind if people do it for events and such, but when I'm RPing with someone who's running two boxes outside of that, it usually...bothers me, frankly. I don't know. Obviously everyone looks at things differently, but this is my interpretation. I mean, I devote my full attention to our RP. Why do I only warrant half of yours?

Some people might be able to split their attention perfectly and still give 100% to both boxes, but I haven't seen it yet.

When someone's AFK flag triggers while I'm waiting for a response because they're too interested in their other character, I usually find an excuse to be somewhere else, to be honest. It bothers me quite a lot.

I know no one does it to slight anyone else, but I suppose everyone reads things differently.

Me personally, I have two accounts, but it's mainly for the character space. I tried dualboxing once, and couldn't do it. I can't devote enough attention to each RP to make it as good an interaction as I can, and I don't think anyone deserves less than my full attention when they're RPing with me. Sure, of course I'll alt tab occasionally in between responses, but I flick back in every few seconds until it's my turn to answer again.
I try to avoid dual boxing as much as possible. Only doing so for big events or semi-big events where at least two of my characters show interest. The few times I do dual box, it's because I feel that I need to, and I split up to be with both sides, as I'd rather not put one above the other. (Though I most likely do in the end anway, as there will always be one box that interests me more than the other at some point, thus I will close that box.)

(Also, being a GM sometimes means you get pulled aside mid-RP, in which case it's nice to able to dual-box.)
Feedback Thread.

Common Sense; Questionable, still there.
I have to agree with JV here. I do find myself getting very cross when I'm RPing with someone and they're duel/tripple boxing. If they can balance well between the two boxes, it's not really an issue, but when they take five minutes to reply because they're on a second box? That's when it gets very annoying and I become less and less willing to RP with that person. What gets me even more cross is when I'm RPing with someone and then they start to duel box another character half-way though the RP. Makes me think like they're not enjoying it and at that point my will to do so just sorta drops and I get distant.

I don't duel-box myself. If I'mma RP with someone, they're going to get my full attention.
(01-18-2013, 10:37 PM)JVNemesis Wrote: I mean, I devote my full attention to our RP. Why do I only warrant half of yours?

(01-18-2013, 11:40 PM)Reigen Wrote:
I don't duel-box myself. If I'mma RP with someone, they're going to get my full attention.

While I understand your posts, I have to contest these statements here. Just because the other RPer's attention is divided between two characters does not mean their attention is any less on the RP as a whole, or you. In fact, I'd say they give more attention and effort.

I'd take a multi-boxer over a RP partner that habitually only puts forth a line or two with one character. Or less. I get kinda giddy that I get more of this RPer's toybox to play with.

Of course, this usually only applies if the multi-boxer does it well, and they're in the same place. It can occur that the multi-boxer likes to, uh...play with themselves in a manner that reminds one of playing with themselves. I have heard of multi-boxers that RP with themselves, by themselves. Alone.

Not sure how that works.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Ahh, that's a problem too that everyone seems to be repeating.

When someone is dual boxing and you have to wait forever for them to respond, it feels like that they are ignoring you, or like... you're only deserving of part of their attention. For me personally, I develop a "Third wheel" complex. And when it's said and done I just wanna go "No, it's okay. Go do your other thing. It's cool. I see how it is." Then I run off crying because I can't handle it and...and...

*Runs off crying*

Edit: And seeing above post, I agree C0r, but only when it's not noticeable. A lot of times it's extremely noticeable.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with Roleplay ruts? KomodoTheCashew 10 3,948 09-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Last Post: cartoonkarl
  Roleplay and adult themes DanFernandez 34 7,747 06-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Your Favorite Character [To Roleplay] Xigo 47 8,521 03-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  Children of the Earthmother - A guide to tauren roleplay (incomplete) ghaskan 7 4,965 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Dual boxing Grogloki 4 1,222 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Psychyn