The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RPing as a Dragon?
I went to see "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" with some buddies tonight. I expected Smaug to just be like "I'm big and a dragon so be scared of me puny hobbit, rawr" like most dragons tend to be in movies BUT the back and forth between Bilbo and Smaug was (surprisingly) really great, probably the highlight of the movie.

So as I was driving my friends home and they were talking about highschool, girls and other -normal- teenage boy stuff... *ahem* I was thinking to myself how it'd be to RP as a dragon, if only you could. Then it dawned on me, WoW has items like Vial of the Sands which turn the user into a Drake.

So my question is, would it be possible for some players to be granted the ability to RP as a dragon? Of course, I would think a combination of Maturity, RP Knowledge, Responsibility and Humility are all needed to do such a thing. I'm still a newbie to CotH, I'm just wondering my idea could be (or already is) a reality.
I... HIghly doubt it. There are some dragons (Eg Terastraza) out there but those are mainly NPCs for the Dragonsworn. RPing an actual dragon would so easily call for abuse, even amongst the... Older parts of the community. Also, there's the rule of the thumb player characters are all equally strong, only being held back by their respective player(s) and a dragon is just outright stronger than most (if not all) PCs out there.
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
So I thought, I was just wondering if it was possible. I've been surprised by multiple things on the server already so I'm not really sure what to expect. Thanks for the reply!
Players can't control dragons, I'm afraid! The only dragon characters on CoTH are NPCs controlled by the GMs for the purpose of acting as quest givers and patrons of Dragonsworn! I do believe that dragon whelps are a possibility by way of Custom Model Character, but I haven't seen one approved! :)
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
Even whelps by lore are more powerful than your average person. Wraithion, as seen in MoP, is a whelp.
@Reigen Admittedly, Wrathion is Wrathion, but you're right. :P
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
As a note Wrathion is a genetically altered welp who the Red Flight experimented on. He's more of a Captian America then a normal human in my opinion.
(12-28-2013, 08:11 AM)Kage Wrote: He's more of a Captian America then a normal human in my opinion.

He's more of a dragon than either of those.

Regardless, players can do very little with Dragons, beyond becoming a Dragonsworn. You can't even ICly have a Proto Drake mount. And due to the GM team relatively trying to keep everyone around the same power level, I don't really think it'd be possible for anyone to play a Dragon.
As I recall, the experiments were only to free him from corruption, not make him a super soldier. Either way, no dragons are playable. Like what everyone has said, the closest one can get to one is being a dragonsworn or part of a group of slayers.
Whelps are something that players are asked to kill all the time. Wrathion, is a lore figure. Anduin Wrynn is seen as a child by most standards, but he's still stupidly powerful due to lore circumstances.

Hogger is ridiculously powerful too.

My point is---we take it a little too far with the whole "Whelps are more powerful than the standard character." They really---are not. Otherwise our standard characters wouldn't be asked to take down black whelps in certain quests.

Same with some unnamed dragons in certain areas. Does this mean we should all go around willy nilly killing bigarse dragons at will? Nope. But at the same time, we certainly are more powerful than your standard whelp.

Edit: I think a line needs to be drawn here. There used to be a time where we could fight any non-lore figure beastie---within reason, no matter how big or small. I think it's a bit funny now that we have to all tell people when we fight dragons or dragon-kin, when with quests and other things we are -constantly- thrown up against dragons.

As a matter of a fact... the whole Cataclysm expansion---is for all intents and purposes, about fighting dragons.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

But standard characters are not asked to do these things. Many people forget that in wow questing, your character is near- lore figure powerful. Those are not what we are playing.
I've seen events in which Dragonkin and drakes were opponents as bosses. So.. How is a welp so op when just a drake is a boss battle?
(12-28-2013, 11:45 AM)Reigen Wrote: But standard characters are not asked to do these things. Many people forget that in wow questing, your character is near- lore figure powerful. Those are not what we are playing.

This is what confuses me... If we have access to all the player abilities in the game. Then the only civilians in the game are those players who characters are intended to be a civilian. If I can rain Ice/Fire, summon Doomguards, Elementals, Teleport, open portals, slow time, tame Devilsaurs, transform into animals, control nature ect. my friends and I should be able to come together and whoop epic ass. Why? Because its fun. It shouldn't be flat out "you're weaker than this person" because it seems just easier to say. No class is stronger than any class but no matter what you are you are not legit enough to mess with anything ALL AROUND YOU. I enjoy adventure, and if I wanted to be a civilian I'd play the sims. I don't mean to sound snarky because I'm not really of the notion that we should play dragons. I think if someone proved that they could they should be able to though. Why not? What's it going to hurt we're just Rping in our own universe anyway. It would just have to be monitored which is a reason GM's are here.

Plus, We all have at least one character that isn't a pushover/chump GM's especially. A group of trained seasoned warriors with the aforementioned abilities could do damage. Maybe not Lore Figure dmg but serious, considerable damage to anything. The differences in our characters and the civilian npcs is that they don't have access to these abilities. It is why they are shop keepers, maids, cooks, and other occupations we only play to further develop our characters.

IMO I don't think we should be able to play dragons, but I think the staff should work with us ( which admittedly they do a wonderful job of trying to work with some of our wacky ideas. ) to try to make the things we want to see happening. And all this "We're only average we cant do anything, but then want storylines to happen" seems hypocritical and a bit disheartening.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
Boss battles require groups of people.

We really can't/shouldn't let people RP characters who are innately greater than everyone else.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Boss battles do indeed require groups of people! Which is my point. A drake requires (in some of the events I've seen) at least 5 people to take it down.

So what makes a whelp so OP?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RPregnancy - A Guide to RPing a Pregnant Character [WIP] c0rzilla 26 18,784 12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Nymus
  RPing as yourself? Nymus 32 6,542 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Draczar
  WoW as a Dragon Age RP Base Jason 7 1,591 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  So... that dragon attack. Harmonic 14 2,388 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  RPing with curses Dae 5 1,376 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marilyn