The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Shorten Chat range
What: Well I think we should shorten the range that chat can be heard by people and to make it easier for lots of people RPing in a small area.

Why: To put it bluntly Metagaming.

To go into detail I have seen lots of players hear something when they are out of range and they respond either because they think they can hear it or because they don't know better. It would make it so that people could RP in a building with multiple members without everyone in the area hearing. It will also make it easier for groups of people to RP in the same area because places like the Slaughtered lamb have multiple floors and people could RP in the basement without bothering people in the bar. Another example is the Cathedral and areas in Stromgarde you can hear people from the Chapel in Stromgarde all the way in the entrance to the safezone and in the Cathedral you can hear people in the crypt Rping while in the main chamber and I've seen people get confused.

I think if it was put back to standard chat range it would be better.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
would make things easier.
Timothy Willaims VI: I know what this is! You are all racist against bards! Its a conspiracy!
Rorbin: A bard isn't even a race!
Timothy Willaims VI: . . .racist.
I completely support this idea.
[Image: Signature.png]
Thumbs up all the way!
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
I second this motion. :D
I third this motion, although I fear no one will hear Erasmus' yells from the Vault now... :P
Agreed!
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=][th=5]
Character Information
[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Race[/td][td=1,]Class[/td][td=1,]Association[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][/tr][tr=bg2][td=1,]Lyra Dawnreaver[/td][td=1,]Sin'dorei[/td][td=1,]Mage[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Noelle Sophelia Payne[/td][td=1,]Human[/td][td=1,]Mage[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Eliana Grace Matthews[/td][td=1,]Human[/td][td=1,]Paladin[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Connie Fizzlebolt[/td][td=1,]Gnome[/td][td=1,]Rogue[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners][corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
I don't believe my opinion is important now, because it seems "Yes" is a landslide victory.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Only way to do this is to shorten the viewing distance back to normal (or at least less than it is currently).
Unforunately then, the fix to this problem is simply awareness and a kind-hearted effort on the part of players to be aware that what you see on your screen is only a glimpse into the actual world. Of course in an Inn inside Stormwind, the place will be packed with workers, off-duty guards, and other adventurers (NPC ones, too!) and these would be making quite a lot of noise, causing one to have a hard time understanding the whispered conversations in the next room over behind closed doors. Perhaps an added note about this should be placed in the rules section, something along the lines of "Rule: Be aware of your surroundings and react to them realistically. ", or just even in the RP tips section. Often times people are oblivious to the obvious unless presented with it directly : )
Preventing metagaming is simple enough, I think.

When I only want certain people to hear what I'm saying, and I'm whispering ICly, I literally whisper the person I'm talking to. If there is a small group of us and we're all talking quietly amongst each other, then we join a party and talk ICly in /p.

I do, however, emote that I am whispering because of course people would be able to see that I'm whispering, even if they can't hear what's being said. I also emote things like nodding, smiling, etc, etc, but leave the text in /w or /p.

Hope this helps some. :mrgreen:

...but of course, people should know better than to metagame anyway. No one should have to go through all this in the first place. :roll:
Actually lowering the drawing distance ain't a bad idea at all.
This way you can get rid of the "Oh I see your name over there on the hill and thus I'll send my <insert race here> to kill you, pitiful <insert race from opposite faction here>." Yup, that happens a lot. :roll:
I'm still thumbs up for the idea. It's not like we -need- to see far into the distance.

"Beyond the Stars"
My draw distance is rather low, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Of course, it might just be the settings on my machine. I can't see a lot of the more angry elite mobs until I'm within bugged angry distance of them.

I like it how it is, however, since I'm more interested in what's going on in roleplay around me for other reasons than to know the content. A good story is always nice at any time. Granted, I can also see the problems you all have with it, but it seems to me like the draw distance on my machine is only as long as my own sight range (Though I have lowered a few graphics settings so as to window many things while playing).
I'm guessing Kret's refering to the draw distance settings of the emulator itself. Which should be different than the draw distance settings for each client.

"Beyond the Stars"
I know I've edited my draw distance to be further than the standard settings for my client, but I always thought the emulator cut it off at the distance I have it set to, or at least somewhere near it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Skype Chat policies. Wujen 4 1,503 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  Chat/Barrens from the site...? dastmo 6 1,583 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Kretol