The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 817 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Kira's two cents rants
That little owl is getting the temple treatment I would like right now.

Now, on the topic, I have been wanting to do this thread for a while. But first, I would like to clearly state:

Any similarities with your characters and/or personality is purely coincidental.

I have been on this wonderful server almost a year now, and have done almost a thousand posts in which, I think, I have been trying to be as helpful as I could, as well as blend in with the community the best I could. But, alas, there are some.. let's call them flaws, that the server has been going on both from the time I joined, last year December, as well as new things. So here are my two cents, put here by the importance, the last two being not-so-imporant:

1. The fail of explanations. From the very beginning, an year now, things I have asked for, some from simple curiosity, others for my own personal 'gain', have been answered by either a simple "no", or a simple "because the rule says so". I am a fighter for my believes, and so, I would like some explanation onto the matter discussed before giving a definitive no.

I had personally tried to give the best explanation onto all the threads that required them, and if not, I had replied back with the needed explanations.
    NOTE: This does not necessarily mean this thread.

2. The increased number of one race. This is less than two cents, due to the fact that I can understand that one race must be predomintant. If none would be, then the race roleplay would be very scarce, and everybody would have to be more or less neutral.

But then again, more than half- no, scratch that, more than two thirds of the server's characters, and especially active characters, are blood elves. Now this could be a fad, but it has gone very far already.

In my opinion, people seek refuge into what they do not have and wish to. Blood elves are studious and power-hungry, but especially glamorous. Now I am not saying that the players should stop playing with blood elves. All I am saying is that blood elves are not the only race out there, and that these other races can be very interesting, themselves. Change is good. Try it.

3. The amount of idleness. Now, of course, I cannot force anyone to stop wasting staying on OOCC just to talk with their friends. But seriously, I have seen (and heard of) characters that only stay on OOCC and never roleplay. (and some were made for that matter). I can understand that some people are bored of roleplay, or just not in the mood, for I am one that can be caracterised in the latter, with all those new games releasing.

But look onto the Who List once a while and count how many players are online, and how many are on OOCC. Now of course there are some times when OOCC is nearly empty and no discussions work, but those times are either when everybody's GMT is set on night, thus sleeping, or when there are a few players, and most of them roleplay.

Now, truly, does it look nice for a roleplaying community to stay on OOCC and chat about stuff rather than roleplay? Food for brain.

/2cents

As a last thing, I would like to apologise for all the matters I've done that any of you have found annoying or stupid. This said, I am sorry.
While I'm not sure if it's wise to make this reply, I would like to address the first part of this list, mostly looking at the recent disagreement in the death knight runemaster thread.

Quote:From the very beginning, an year now, things I have asked for, some from simple curiosity, others for my own personal 'gain', have been answered by either a simple "no"

Loxmardin Wrote:I'm personally not positive that runes actually take effect on dead bodies, either.

Since DKs are, for all intents and purposes, "dead".

BountyHunter Wrote:I'd say no due to the fact it is multiclassing and, as Aphetoros said, they're already over-powered, they don't need to be moreso.

BountyHunter Wrote:It can work just as much as being a Half-Orc would. It's completely possible by lore but we do not allow it.

BountyHunter Wrote:Death Knights are basic Inscribers, that is a skill they have. The runes they place are hardwired into their mind.

But, this isn't an idea of overpowering them, this is a fact of multi-classing. You wish to play a Death Knight + Runemaster which is a combination of two classes, hence, multi-classing. It would be the same if we had a Death Knight + Mage who was able to fling around firebolts at wish and still spread his plague or a Runemaster + Paladin who fights with a light infused warhammer but has enhanced strength from his runes so he can hit with the power of a thousand suns.

BountyHunter Wrote:Once again, this is not a fact about whether it is possible or not, it is simply a rule that we do not allow multi-classing. You are asking to multi-class, that is about all there is to it.

These are all, in my opinion, valid responses as to why an idea like this might not be allowed. Furthermore,

Quote:or a simple "because the rule says so"

I feel the need to stress that saying 'because the rules say so' is part of our job here. If someone asks to play an elf named Moonbeam we don't need to sit down and have a deep intricate conversation on the topic-- It's against naming policy, and we simply ask it to be changed. Rules are there for a reason, and if we aren't going to enforce them and if we cannot cite them as a reason why something cannot be done, they lose any meaning.

All I mean to say by this is that if we have a rule, it's expected that the rule can be enforced.

Finally, to add to that:

CotHwiki Wrote:Remember that above all else, a GM's word is final, and you should always follow their direction. If you have any comments regarding the GM's word, or if you disagree with it, FOLLOW IT WITHOUT ARGUING (so as to avoid any unnecessary drama or further issues). After which, feel free to contact Grakor with any concerns, if necessary.

The 'GM's word is final' bit is something which seems to be elusive lately. I don't mean to say that you cannot or should not argue your point, of course; but to take a GM's 'no' or their explanation, as skewed as you may perceive it, as something to disregard isn't really the best way to go about things. If you really believe the subject is worth continued debate than by all means you can carry on, or even message Kretol or Grakor for their own opinions. They are, after all, the final word on any issue should the GMs be doubted.

My own two cents on this matter. Because I honestly cannot recall many times where 'because' and because alone was used to close an argument. I always can recall arguments given for both sides; of course, the matter there is that its an argument, and even if someone gives their reasoning the other party may not see them eye to eye still (as we have in this latest discussion).

...Damn, I already used the conclusion statement up there.

/done

EDIT: That quote bracket error is weird. Fixed so you can see what I typed.
(12-05-2011, 01:13 PM)13kira13 Wrote:
  1. The fail of explanations. From the very beginning, an year now, things I have asked for, some from simple curiosity, others for my own personal 'gain', have been answered by either a simple "no", or a simple "because the rule says so". I am a fighter for my believes, and so, I would like some explanation onto the matter discussed before giving a definitive no.

I had personally tried to give the best explanation onto all the threads that required them, and if not, I had replied back with the needed explanations.

I haven't been on the server nearly as long as you have, but in my experience there has always been plenty of explanation when things were announced. Usually, 'The GM team has discussed X and found that X will be denied because of A, B and C.' I have never seen a GM say 'no' without an explanation, nor have I ever seen them say 'It's against the rules'. But, I haven't been here as long, so I may be missing things.

Quote:
  • The increased number of one race. This is less than two cents, due to the fact that I can understand that one race must be predomintant. If none would be, then the race roleplay would be very scarce, and everybody would have to be more or less neutral.

But then again, more than half- no, scratch that, more than two thirds of the server's characters, and especially active characters, are blood elves. Now this could be a fad, but it has gone very far already.

In my opinion, people seek refuge into what they do not have and wish to. Blood elves are studious and power-hungry, but especially glamorous. Now I am not saying that the players should stop playing with blood elves. All I am saying is that blood elves are not the only race out there, and that these other races can be very interesting, themselves. Change is good. Try it.

• I agree. However, what can you do about it? People will do whatever they want and, not that it's a bad thing, stay with the comfortable. Humans and Blood Elves are most comfortable because they remind us of badass versions of ourselves. They look like us, except amazing at whatever they do. Orcs, are big ugly monsters. (Although they rock) I agree that change is good and people should try new races.

This is not something that we can fix by snapping our fingers. If I know anything about trends, it's that they come and go. Blood Elves and Humans might die down and the next big RP race will be Gnomes and Forsaken. A good way to fix this 'problem' is to make a guild/event that attracts other races. I, myself, am currently in the process of coming up with one to bring about some Old Horde RP, but I digress. If you want to try and change it, it'll take some work. Remember, you can only show people the door, they decide whether they walk through it or not.

Quote:
  • The amount of idleness. Now, of course, I cannot force anyone to stop wasting staying on OOCC just to talk with their friends. But seriously, I have seen (and heard of) characters that only stay on OOCC and never roleplay. (and some were made for that matter). I can understand that some people are bored of roleplay, or just not in the mood, for I am one that can be caracterised in the latter, with all those new games releasing.

But look onto the Who List once a while and count how many players are online, and how many are on OOCC. Now of course there are some times when OOCC is nearly empty and no discussions work, but those times are either when everybody's GMT is set on night, thus sleeping, or when there are a few players, and most of them roleplay.

Now, truly, does it look nice for a roleplaying community to stay on OOCC and chat about stuff rather than roleplay? Food for brain.

• I've noticed this as well. It doesn't help when you combine it with your number 2. Alot the RP that does happen now, is in Elwynn/Stormwind and Silvermoon/Eversong. The BB RP has dropped drastically, but there is no love for the Old Horde/Other Alliance. Anyways, that's not what this is about.

I've also noticed that it's not easy to find RP, unless you are a part of a 'clique'. I saw someone trying to get an event going once. Nobody was interested, despite the fact that there were plenty of people OOC. But, there are reasons. Some people don't have time for an entire event, while others are just chatting with a friend before heading to sleep/work/school. As one of the newer Grunts, I -still- have trouble finding RP.

So to answer it frankly... I have no idea what to do. Events don't seem to matter, regardless of GM assistance or not. Guess we just have to deal.
    I am not talking about the runemaster turned death knight thread only. There have been other threads, as well as discussions with GMs either on the chat/world in-game chats, or in whispers, that I had to close with an answer, being a simple "no", or "the rules say so (implying it doesn't have to have any logic)"

Then, on the matter of runemasters turned death knights, it is not a so-far-stretched idea of runemasters/inscribers turned death knight/dark inscribers, and thus, not a so-far-stretched multi-class thing. A multi-class thing would be more of a warrior using arcane spells, or a necromancer using nature magic, both of these being completely impossible by any simple logic.
    At the exact point of this writing, there are 38 members online.

11 are Blood Elves. 10 are House Blackstone Humans. The rest are a mixture of Draenei, Undeads, a smattering of Kaldorei, one or two gnomes and trolls.

EDIT:

The numbers fluctuate, of course, and I count not the online GMs; but my point is that the Blood Elven population, while irritatingly high, isn't that saturated to the point of your exaggeration.
    He's just a hero
    In a long line of heroes
    Looking for something
    Attractive to save
    - Soup Star Joe

Ongoing Personal Projects:
    NIL
    38/2=19
    11+10=21
    Though this is not such a big deal, I can say that now, it is a good time. But, then again, as I said, GMTs suck, so it's all a matter of your and mine's GMT. There is a chance that only when I'm online, there are so many blood elves. But I seriously doubt it.

EDIT: It's midnight for me.
    It's 6 in the morning for me at the time of this writing. I sleep at odd hours, oft in the noon or early evenings, to wake up in the dead of night, just to get some RP. Amongst most people here in CoTH, I think there are very few who can complain to me about GMT. A pity that the world isn't flat, but it's not like we oft get what we want anyway.

. . .

What catches my eyes most in this thread is Kenshiro's lamentation about cliques and the difficulty of getting any RP whatsoever if one is without one, and my fervent agreement with that analysis of RP in CoTH.
    He's just a hero
    In a long line of heroes
    Looking for something
    Attractive to save
    - Soup Star Joe

Ongoing Personal Projects:
    NIL
    (12-05-2011, 02:01 PM)13kira13 Wrote: I am not talking about the runemaster turned death knight thread only. There have been other threads, as well as discussions with GMs either on the chat/world in-game chats, or in whispers, that I had to close with an answer, being a simple "no", or "the rules say so (implying it doesn't have to have any logic)"

Well, stating from what I have seen there is rarely ever a straight out 'no' without proper explanation; If there is indeed a matter you feel has been handled poorly in this fashion then the only thing you really can do is ask another GM or turn to the admins. It never hurts to ask for an explanation either, as sometimes things can be seen as 'common sense', though sense is seldom something that is shared by both parties in a disagreement.

And saying no with the citation of a rule in no way is meant to say that you lack logic in your argument. As Bounty said in one example, a half-orc is perfectly logical, but not allowed by server rules.

(12-05-2011, 02:01 PM)13kira13 Wrote: Then, on the matter of runemasters turned death knights, it is not a so-far-stretched idea of runemasters/inscribers turned death knight/dark inscribers, and thus, not a so-far-stretched multi-class thing. A multi-class thing would be more of a warrior using arcane spells, or a necromancer using nature magic, both of these being completely impossible by any simple logic.

On this, I believe this is better suited for the actual thread on this subject. I will cite this as a disagreement of opinion as I mentioned before, though; you have your reasons for why we should accept it, and we have ours for why we should not. It is very likely we're not going to see eye-to-eye in this matter to be honest, and I suppose this is where the 'lack of explanation' breeds from in many cases. We've made our points, and feel no need to press it beyond the reasons we've presented (not to say this is one such situation, of course, but in example).
    Whether it's elitism or something else, generally people wait for one or two people to log on then RP with them.

My only suggestion would be to not tie your characters down so firmly. Give them an ability to show up in potentially random roleplays. And maybe set up a scene prior to engaging in roleplay, rather than just going 'LEZ ALL GO BB'.

Have at least one 'adventurer' character.

You don't have to meet in one place and then go on an adventure. Maybe the two of you stumble into one another while traversing a dark cavern, steel clashes as you assume one another to be foes, and then conflict dies down as you come to realize everything's fine.

I could make a whole list of possible scenarios other than 'YOU MEET IN A TAVERN'.

... Just my musings on that topic.
    Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
    Rules are meant to be broken forgotten, but only in VERY rare cases. Just as Kretol has told me that a half-orc half-ogre might be possible if I work hard on it and show that it might, indeed, work, so I believe that the runemaster/inscriber turned dk/dark inscriber might work, as well, by the same principle. (that these are not so far stretched to be completely impossible).

But this should go to the runemaster turned dk thread.

EDIT: Quoted it there.

Spoiler:
    EDIT2:
    Quote:VERY
    And I meant it.
    (12-05-2011, 02:24 PM)Xigo Wrote: Whether it's elitism or something else, generally people wait for one or two people to log on then RP with them.

My only suggestion would be to not tie your characters down so firmly. Give them an ability to show up in potentially random roleplays. And maybe set up a scene prior to engaging in roleplay, rather than just going 'LEZ ALL GO BB'.

Have at least one 'adventurer' character.

You don't have to meet in one place and then go on an adventure. Maybe the two of you stumble into one another while traversing a dark cavern, steel clashes as you assume one another to be foes, and then conflict dies down as you come to realize everything's fine.

I could make a whole list of possible scenarios other than 'YOU MEET IN A TAVERN'.

... Just my musings on that topic.

You make it sound so easy.

In my experience, there are several times where I've been outright ignored. And event attempts have also been ignored. But I have hope...

Spoiler:
    Well it's a suggestion. It's not that easy at all. Still, people might find RP more appealing if it were something different than the usual.

... I'll try and make a list of them in the guides section.
    Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
    If you wish to find RP of any kind at any time, the Personals are available in advertising your character for a certain kind of RP. Also, bear in mind that there are players who are more than happy to provide their own characters as a regular RP buddy (myself included). However, also remember that not every player can become active often. I used to be able to hold events at least once a month, but due to work and school (especially final exam season), and other events I'll be assisting in, I won't be able to hold any new ones until the holiday season dies down.
    [Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
    I feel obliged to say in advance that I have absolutely nothing meaningful to contribute to the discussion at the minute. However:
    Spoiler:
    (12-05-2011, 01:58 PM)Kenshiro Wrote: Blood Elves and Humans might die down and the next big RP race will be Gnomes and Forsaken.

(12-05-2011, 01:58 PM)Kenshiro Wrote: the next big RP race will be Gnomes and Forsaken.

(12-05-2011, 01:58 PM)Kenshiro Wrote: Forsaken

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs[/youtube]

. . . Actually, wait, no.

(12-05-2011, 01:58 PM)Kenshiro Wrote: In my experience, there are several times where I've been outright ignored. And event attempts have also been ignored. But I have hope...
    I understand what you mean. I've been in this position many times before and it grates after a while. At the end of the day, though, in my experience, most people don't use this server to RP; rather, they use this server to RP with their friends. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but either way, "cliques" of a sort form naturally anywhere in any environment. It's unavoidable. The trick is working your way into them or forming one of your own.

That being said, I've had some fantastic RPs with complete strangers just by asking around in OOCC. The key to it's just tenacity. :D
    It even happens to me. I will be ignored on my characters if players do not like me. Which, honestly? Oh, well. Yes, it means I get less RP, but they are the ones missing out!
    [Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      A short explanation onto Kira's. And farewell. For now. Kira13 4 1,312 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM
    Last Post: Kira13
      Tobeh's 84 cents. Tobeh 6 993 04-21-2010, 03:58 AM
    Last Post: Azheron
      Ruder Rants Ruder 10 1,894 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
    Last Post: Tehbrittownzu