The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Nerf Barrens.
People are congregating there simply because it's low level, cross faction and other people have been seen there so they feel they have a good chance at RP.

The problem with RPing in WoW has always been the amount of space compared to population ratio. A small population can only fill a small area. I'd much rather see a single area become the "hub" of the server than trying to draw attention away from one that's growing.

It's what we used to call Fountain sitting. Pick a place with something to stare at and talk about then when people wander by, they can sit and talk/stare too, then more people will come to see what's going on and suddenly you have a varied RP scene that a GM can take advantage of.

It isn't just The Barrens, it's the strip between the Inn in Ratchet, the new Tavern and the Arena. Three places to gather together in hopes of RP that are all fairly close to each other and offer dozens of opportunities for different sorts of interactions.

We don't need tons and tons of places like this.. that will just mean people will wander around aimlessly looking for RP the same as they do now until a few people start Fountain sitting again and the whole process starts over.

Ogrimmar/Stormwind to Shattrah to Dalaran on retail, it's always going to happen because people want to be where the action is when they don't already have something in mind which most usually don't, they just want to see what happens and where they can fit in to have fun.

If you really want to promote RP on a grand scale, why not build a city from scratch with all the amenities that is easily accessible from WSG via portal with all the fun stuff tucked away and a non-battle rule like Ratchet has and an Arena to settle disputes and bars for people to hang out in but with more things around for people to mess with? Basically exactly what you have now with Ratchet, only built up and Lore'd in as a place that is completely neutral (even from the Cartels) and has representatives from everywhere with all the nice pretty junk builders have access to. Build a Coliseum or Amphitheater, you know, something to gawk at and interact with.

We're supposed to be a big group instead of individuals right? We could use a reason to get together instead of more reasons to break up into tiny little groups that hate everyone not in their group.

I could be wrong, but that's my opinions on the issue :mrgreen:
"In your world, power is determined by who has the biggest bombs. In my world, power is determined by yahtzee skills and who has the cutest kitty quote. Which is really the sane one?"
As the person before me pointed out, Barrens has a lot of things that benefit an RP community, especially with the GM-made content.

1. A tavern. Two now, actually. Tavern RP is among the most popular kinds. It's a place to go if there's no event or organized RP going on, and most tavern RP is open for anyone to join. It can also lead to traveling, combat, guild or any other sort of RP.

2. Crossfaction. Goblins in Ratchet allow all races in, and so the faction barrier is more or less lifted in this place. A lot of people enjoy crossfaction RP.

3. An arena. Arena fights seems to be a very popular activity as well, and Ratchet has an arena just outside of town.

4. Massive, variated wilderness. For those who like to travel outside of town, the Barrens can offer a variety of barrens(derp), jungle-like oasises, myriads of lifeforms, and so on. This might not be so safe if you're not Horde.

5. Accessability. Ratchet is safe and easy to reach for any character. OOCly it's got it's own teleport point on the website teleporter, and ICly it's got a busy shipyard, meaning that travelers can arrive from just about anywhere via ships. Horde settlements are also connected to Ratchet by roads.

These things make Ratchet popular, and if you wanna move the RP masses away from it, you'll have to compete with it. And I don't think it'll be that easy.
ALL HAIL THE TROLL
As the person before me pointed out, Barrens has a lot of things that benefit an RP community, especially with the GM-made content.

1. A tavern. Two now, actually. Tavern RP is among the most popular kinds. It's a place to go if there's no event or organized RP going on, and most tavern RP is open for anyone to join. It can also lead to traveling, combat, guild or any other sort of RP.

2. Crossfaction. Goblins in Ratchet allow all races in, and so the faction barrier is more or less lifted in this place. A lot of people enjoy crossfaction RP.

3. An arena. Arena fights seems to be a very popular activity as well, and Ratchet has an arena just outside of town.

4. Massive, variated wilderness. For those who like to travel outside of town, the Barrens can offer a variety of barrens(derp), jungle-like oasises, myriads of lifeforms, and so on. This might not be so safe if you're not Horde.

5. Accessability. Ratchet is safe and easy to reach for any character. OOCly it's got it's own teleport point on the website teleporter, and ICly it's got a busy shipyard, meaning that travelers can arrive from just about anywhere via ships. Horde settlements are also connected to Ratchet by roads.

These things make Ratchet popular, and if you wanna move the RP masses away from it, you'll have to compete with it. And I don't think it'll be that easy.
ALL HAIL THE TROLL
Well, I've had a few people agreeing with me that Barrens is kinda.. worn out. So I would like to turn this thread into suggestions for a new RP hotspot.
Who is evil, who is blind?
In the name of who you'll find
You're not supposed to question faith
But how do you accept this fate?
Well, I've had a few people agreeing with me that Barrens is kinda.. worn out. So I would like to turn this thread into suggestions for a new RP hotspot.
I'd suggest making a guild for areas that aren't often active but could be really great for potential RP. There are plenty of places. Northrend, Outland, Tanaris, Blasted Lands, Plaguelands, Winterspring, Azshara, Swamp of Sorrows, Feralas, Silithus... The list of awesome-but-hardly-ever-RPed-in-places goes on and on. :D
I'd suggest making a guild for areas that aren't often active but could be really great for potential RP. There are plenty of places. Northrend, Outland, Tanaris, Blasted Lands, Plaguelands, Winterspring, Azshara, Swamp of Sorrows, Feralas, Silithus... The list of awesome-but-hardly-ever-RPed-in-places goes on and on. :D
I just made a guild for RP in Dun Morogh-Ironforge-Deeprun Tram. Check out the post in the guild forums "Cogspinner Incorporated"
I just made a guild for RP in Dun Morogh-Ironforge-Deeprun Tram. Check out the post in the guild forums "Cogspinner Incorporated"
Mmm. I think we should Nerf everything but Orgrimmar. Heh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Mmm. I think we should Nerf everything but Orgrimmar. Heh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:Mmm. I think we should Nerf everything but Orgrimmar. Heh.
This message brought to you by Kretol & Grakor
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
Rensin Wrote:Mmm. I think we should Nerf everything but Orgrimmar. Heh.
This message brought to you by Kretol & Grakor
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EVENT:The ultimate tournament in The Barrens arena! jak13 8 1,341 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Last Post: jak13
  Chat is -not- the new Barrens. Harmonic 47 8,193 09-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Hawk