The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Chat is -not- the new Barrens.
Alright. So this is something that's been bugging me the past few days, mainly because I have been roleplaying a lot more than usual lately, buuut, chat has been filling to the brim with spam. The usual hello's, and light discussions have been turning into lengthy, 4-chan like discussions about nothing that's really needed to be said.

I'm not adressing the server as a whole, because a large majority of the people I've noticed doing this are Grunts. Now, I'm not going to point fingers, or say "shame on you", as when the populace does get bigger, it's natural for people to engage in convo's like this.

All I want to say, is that rather than engaging in it, or barking "BARRENS" to people, you could take the time to nicely ask if they could please move their discussion to the proper channel.

It will eliminate interuptions in roleplay, and give people that do not want to read a long trail of spam the chance to have a clear window.

I know it's been suggested to make different windows for chat, yatta yatta, and all that, but honestly, out of respect for a server, designed for roleplay, where people come to roleplay, and not talk about basket cats, I ask that you be respectful and mindful of others.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Yeaaah.. uh.. sorry about that. I'm prone to do it, I tryo to correct myself though.
shademourne Wrote:Yeaaah.. uh.. sorry about that. I'm prone to do it, I tryo to correct myself though.

Heh, like I said, I'm not pointing fingers. I've seen a lot of people doing it, and honestly a little slip here and there is okay. But it's been flooding the place lately, in chat -and- in LFG.

Don't take offense to it, I was just asking everyone to be mindful, heh.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I think I've been better than I have been, but I'll be more mindful from now on.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Does this mean Bruce is a Barrenschat-only thing or something? I see that alot. :P

Bruuuce.
Kaelvan Wrote:Does this mean Bruce is a Barrenschat-only thing or something? I see that alot. :P

Bruuuce.

Yeah. Pretty much anything that has to do with memes, power levels, Kretol being awesome, Bruce, and all that other crap. It's really just common sense. I know people have fun with it, but there is a channel for it, and it can disturb people that are actually roleplaying.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Sadly enough, since you posted this it hasn't changed at all. I still see the same people doing it, I'm not going to mention names though.
grembomb Wrote:Sadly enough, since you posted this it hasn't changed at all. I still see the same people doing it, I'm not going to mention names though.

I agree. I felt my post was in vein.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

This is one who shall heed you!

I know I wont be the only one. Since I think it's largely a subconcious thing, making the active effort not to do it will solve the problem for most decent people.
'O happy race of men
If Love who rules the sky
Could rule your hearts as well!' ~ Boethius
Yeah, I know I've been degenerating a bit lately. I've gotta fix that.
10,000 days in the fire is long enough,
You're going home...
If I have to remind people every time for them to follow the chat rules I will, no matter how much of an asshole I make myself out to be.
I think i've been pretty snappy on directing people (myself included) to the Barrens when it gets a little off the line.

But, eh, we've all had our mistakes, just keep reminding everyone who slips up and they'll remember (see: hopefully) eventually.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
The thing that has been getting me lately is that people will ask questions that really have no relevance to anything. Such as, something that has to do with a quest, or saying something like "How is everyone" (which I am guilty of) basically invites spam.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

In my opinion there is a certain amount that is allowed.

Greetings, How are you's, and other small talk should be fine if you ask me. I like to engage in those too, but when we start these long lore-questions, quest-questions etc, I believe it should be taken elsewhere.

One of the main things I have noticed is that people are very disrespectful sometimes, even grunts. I've seen people ask, and I have asked myself, for the conversation to be moved, and even grunts have answered me with a: "Just /leave Chat then."

Yes, it is simple to /leave, but forcing a person to leave a chat just because others can't follow the server rules is rather.. Rude.
I'm sure I was slipping a lot... I try not to. Now I'll try harder.

However. One thing I don't understand. How come Lore questions and discussions don't go in Chat? (I even re-read Chat rules on the Wiki two times. I couldn't find anything.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chat rule clarifications? Harmonic 39 5,939 04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  EVENT:The ultimate tournament in The Barrens arena! jak13 8 1,341 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Last Post: jak13
  Campfire Chat Piken 35 6,415 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Last Post: Zunaj
  Nerf Barrens. Maelstrom 27 4,243 11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Monolith
  /chat Question Mike 9 1,395 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Mike