The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rosencrat is Pretty Mortal
Uguu and I spoke in game about this and I formally apologized for the accidental interjection into her event.

I would like to put this thread to task. Since I would prefer feedback to my other thread I would recommend letting this thread settle back into the silt where it belongs.
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
Right! After a brief hiatus a few months back I’ve been hitting the Role-playing scene with more and more force.

In doing so, however, I’ve begun to change my styles and preferences. Because I love you all so huggy-muggy much I wanted to hear if people have noticed and, if so, approve.

Marianna
I don’t relaly want to hear much about her. Yes, she is the character I role-play the most. But her personality hasn’t really changed as much and, while I play her, I don’t really enjoy myself all that much.

She’s only useful to me as a vehicle to start RP. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Moriok
This is the girl I’m mostly interested in hearing about. She is one of my few ‘good’ characters – and my first orc.

However, I’m hesitant about her personality and activities. She’s got her quirks, but as of late she’s begun to unravel for me.

Work as a GM
Anything I should change on this aspect?
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
Moriok. Oodles of fun in a marble-filled tin can. She was rather interesting during the kidnapped event because you weren't sure who's side she was on, and such a thing is rather exciting yet worrying. Having half the characters requiring a translation was amusing as well. She's good in a unique way and it's a nice change from the standard 'I AM CLEARLY A GOOD GUY PURGE ALL EVIL' good/heroic characters.

In short. <3 Moriok and I wish to see more of her.

As for your work as a GM? I can't rightfully say as I don't interact with you all too much on a GM level. [I don't count a GM RPing as GM-y stuff.] The city you built was amazing, and your events tend to be fun, dark and humerus at times without being boring. Thus all I can really say is keep up the good work that I've seen so far.
Marianna's Marianna. I always liked her, even if she is a utility character.

I adored Moriok, for many reasons. It felt like you'd gone into Kidnapped with a definite plan: Take over. Moriok kind of did, too. She filled all the roles she needed to fill, and it turned out she took the bullet for the prisoners at one stage, quite nobly. I love what she is and what she became, and how she affected people the way she did. I am distinctly aware of what you mentioned the other week about there being no great calling for her, and it's a crying shame, because she has so much potential.

GMing? No idea. I don't think I approach you often, as a GM. They say that you know you're doing a good job when people don't realise you're doing anything at all, so keep it up!

Asholme is superb, and all your events are well-coordinated, from both a technical and front-end viewpoint. Every time I hear you're running something, I try my damnedest to attend, so that should speak for itself.
So there's really something that gets to me about the character warning being applied event-wide when you run your big events. I know it's going to be a divided issue, but I feel like it's not right to apply them.

When a GM runs a big event or story line it usually has the chance to dominate the roleplay that is going on. It also offers a lot of opportunity for interesting roleplay and meeting new people. It adds a little flare to what's going on and picks things up. Which is why I feel like it's not cool when something like a character warning is added in.

It could confuse new players and scare people from going on their main, which may be the characters they've developed and roleplay best. It makes the tension more OOC instead of IC. I think there's plenty of ways to instill drama, suspense, and danger without forcing death on other players. It sounds like a cheap measure to make the event "extreme."

But really it's more like "Here is the main rp that's going on right now; you can either leave or be killed." And yes, I know your events in general are dangerous but I've seen GMs run entire war events that didn't make it so the characters HAD to be killed. I just feel like if it's going to be some of the most exciting rp to come in awhile, and it's being run by the server's staff, then it should be a little more friendly and welcoming instead. That's my opinion, anyways.
Personally I like the fact that a character warning is issued. It's real. It's simple. It's not a big deal. What's the worst that can really happen? You can't RP your character for a week, and then after that there's an additional layer of plot, depth, and overall progression for your character? I don't really see a problem with that at all personally.

I might be biased, having had upwards of five of my characters killed in the past, but each one's been a relatively enjoyable experience for me. I don't get what the big deal is about character death... Maybe back with the original two ress system, but now?

That being said, perhaps you could try to find a middle ground Rosen. Say if you attempt to do <x> Heroic Feat, then a character warning is put in place. If the characters are just attacking generic slug mooks, then don't give one out to those specific people. At least, that's the best thing I can come up with off the top of my head.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
(12-21-2011, 03:55 PM)Beltharean Wrote: That being said, perhaps you could try to find a middle ground Rosen. Say if you attempt to do <x> Heroic Feat, then a character warning is put in place. If the characters are just attacking generic slug mooks, then don't give one out to those specific people. At least, that's the best thing I can come up with off the top of my head.

What Belth said. It lets people who like varying degrees of danger enjoy the same event.

Then again, he's the Deceiver, so... uh..

/head explodes

I quite agree with Belth. It's actually a disappointment that there isn't much danger involved in what should be a terrifically dangerous event. People can just gather around in the middle of what is a zombie-infested town and chit-chat, which horribly destroys what I feel is the atmosphere for the event. I hardly find the character warning being enforced, anyway, with the combat events that I had participated in being generally friendly and. . .safe, actually.

When it boils down to it, it's a dangerous event, and one's character is in danger. The character warning is entirely justified, and should serve to prevent people from acting thoughtlessly, and hopefully, acting more realistically. Fearless warrior you might want to RP, but fearlessness and long-lived doesn't tend to pair together; one shouldn't expect others to pair it for him.
He's just a hero
In a long line of heroes
Looking for something
Attractive to save
- Soup Star Joe

Ongoing Personal Projects:
NIL
The thing is we HAVE had dangerous events and dangerous situations but it doesn't mean that it should be beyond the player to choose what happens to their character. I just don't see why someone has to die in particular.

If you don't mind death that's alright for you but for others it can be an unhappy or uncomfortable experience. I've heard of people scared away from the server because of the whole death being forced down their throats if they tried to do something interesting, or because they didn't understand what's going on. I think character warnings shouldn't be enforced on a whole roleplay itself, or a whole group of people at once, specifically if it's server endorsed and there aren't as many options.

If people want a higher degree of danger they could rp it out, and hey, they can have their characters die, but it really shouldn't be something applied to all the players.

Quick edit: Just wanted to take note that if we carry this on too much it might be derailed. My point still stands as feedback that I feel like it's unfriendly to make server events with character warnings on everyone.
There's always the option of running away when your character might die.
If you run away then you're pretty much no longer roleplaying :/
/shrug
You win some, you lose some. I find it hard to get any enjoyment from danger when my character's not in any real danger, personally.
I personally find that there's miles of difference between being completely safe and unscathed and death, when it comes to a combat event.

As an example, I once ran an event where zombies were swarming a base. The deal was that as long as you didn't act outrageously, then you didn't die. That's not to coddle people, but to allow them to participate on their mains without the risk of hitting a poor streak of rolls and lucking out, leading to their character dead. People who acted rashly by jumping outside of the barricades were penalized for that, of course, but if you ran by the common sense of the moment then you wouldn't be subject to character death.

Maiming? Perhaps. Injury? Assured. It was a dangerous event, but I tend to reserve full on character warnings for events for final conflicts, not some midway point.

I hope this is being clear, but if not allow me to section up a previous post to give my opinion.

Quote:Personally I like the fact that a character warning is issued. It's real. It's simple. It's not a big deal.

The thing is it is a big deal to many people. While you and indeed quite a few others may say they don't mind character death, others may wish to be able to stay in for a whole event. Which brings me to...

Quote:What's the worst that can really happen? You can't RP your character for a week, and then after that there's an additional layer of plot, depth, and overall progression for your character?

As it is death in many events would exclude you for the rest of the event's entire length on that character, which very well may be your main. Another thing is that by going on the outlook of 'well, its just a week' it seems that kinda devalues death in a way. Death is supposed to be something impacting, something that will greatly affect a character-- when it comes to the point that your character has been revived many times death just doesn't seem like much of a burden anymore. It's a mild inconvenience, which is something that just doesn't sit well with me.

Another point I'd like to make is that while you very well can say 'take it or leave it' in this regard, when a GM runs an event it kinda can suck in all of the RP, or at least a good deal. So sure I could not go to an event risking character death...

And idunno, go sit in the OOCC. 'Cause checking the /who now, the majority online is in the Tanaris event.

My thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: To make this clear, guys, these are my thoughts. My own opinions and indeed everyone who's going to be posting after me are just that-- their own personal ideas on the subject. So before this turns into an argument just understand that. You're not right, and I'm not right, because this isn't a discussion which has a correct answer.
I do not doubt many of you are totally fine with character warnings.

I do not doubt you guys are cool with losing a character during an event due to a poor dice roll.

But please, ask yourselves honestly. When you first joined this server, how ticked would you have beem if you joined an event everyone else was in and you happened to roll bad enough to die?

Death should be a reward for stupidity. Not a consequence of just having bad luck.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(12-21-2011, 04:17 PM)Rigley Wrote: Another thing is that by going on the outlook of 'well, its just a week' it seems that kinda devalues death in a way. Death is supposed to be something impacting, something that will greatly affect a character-- when it comes to the point that your character has been revived many times death just doesn't seem like much of a burden anymore. It's a mild inconvenience, which is something that just doesn't sit well with me.

This.

It's wise to have a CW thrown down at the beginning of an event, particularly a dangerous one. Danger has consequences, and sometimes that results in death, bringing me to Xigo's comment:

Quote:Death should be a reward for stupidity. Not a consequence of just having bad luck.

Sometimes death is a reward for bad luck. Bad luck that your character (whom you have chosen to put in a situation) was somewhere at the wrong time with a poorly timed move (bad roll) or a bad decision (let's keep poking at these zombies -- NOTHING BAD CAN HAPPEN!).

Frankly, I think that it is a shame that death is treated so lightly among many I've met on this server, what with characters casually having a few deaths under their belts. Maybe a few debilitations that are usually short term rather than permanent.

If you do not want your character to die, remember that there are consequences to everything we do. Play smarter: Retreat when it is possible and well-advised, don't assume you can walk into a dangerous situation and walk out unharmed to your next event, etc.

Edit: Thank you, R, for this event that seems to be testing a lot of people's characters. What a wonderful opportunity for character exploration and growth.

:)
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rosencrat's Feedback Rosencrat 29 5,158 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Rosencrat