The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Shadow in the light... Priests!
Okay, could someone explain to me how and why can't Priests use both kinds of magic?
In lore:Forsaken who once followed the tenets of the Holy Light often alter their philosophy upon their transformation. Forsaken have abandoned religion, just as they believe it abandoned them. Lost and hurt, these priests founded a new religion based on a self-centered version of their former faith. Dubbed the Forgotten Shadow, this philosophy centers around self-empowerment and a desire to balance life with death. While they can no longer use the Holy Light, and have since learned how to use the shadow; the priests teach that there must be a balance between light and shadow, and members must learn the Light as well, but never forget they were born from the shadow.

I didn't find anything else referring to that you can't use both. Forsaken just chose not to use them, so why can't any other Priest use both?
Meow
It is not so much to say as it is impossible as more unlikely. Put yourself in the mindset of the people of this world. Shadow and Fel magic pretty much brought about every disaster in the past 27 (or 28 idk) years. In order to use the light you must believe you are without flaw (regarding spirituality) in how you do things regularly. If a vast majority of people would view shadow as a horrible energy, then wouldn't that make it seem incredably unlikely for them to believe using shadow is without impurity?

EDIT:

About Forsaken. Undead can not grasp the light. There is only 1 case where it has happened. Blizzard never explained it beyond "his faith is so strong, even he commands the light in undeath."
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
Jeff Wrote:It is not so much to say as it is impossible as more unlikely. Put yourself in the mindset of the people of this world. Shadow and Fel magic pretty much brought about every disaster in the past 27 (or 28 idk) years. In order to use the light you must believe you are without flaw (regarding spirituality) in how you do things regularly. If a vast majority of people would view shadow as a horrible energy, then wouldn't that make it seem incredably unlikely for them to believe using shadow is without impurity?

Prove it

EDIT: Plus, what if you believe that you are without a flaw when you use both?
Meow
I have to say, your general attitude is a bit hostile. :/
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Kenert Wrote:Prove it

EDIT: Plus, what if you believe that you are without a flaw when you use both?

"The followers of the Holy Light do not worship any gods. Instead, it is a philosophy, training its followers to seek perfection within themselves. "

"However, giving in to greed, despair, and unhappiness will only darken the universe. The Holy Light is the glory of the universe reflected upon the soul and mirrored back onto itself."

"A paladin must be of good alignment and loses all light abilities if he ever willingly commits an evil act."

"While he may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil persons, nor will he continue an association with someone who consistently offends his moral code."

"A paladin who violates this code, becomes an ex-paladin, and loses all Light-given abilities and can not train further as a paladin until he atones for his violations."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ex-paladin
- The page above in general.

All quotes from the Wiki.
Saying things short=Hostile? :S
Sorry then

I was talking about Priests, not Paladins, you haven't proven anything yet :)
Meow
First two quotes relate to the light in general. Priests and Paladins use the same energy, the only thing that seperates them is their training.
Okay, you have proven that to use Light, you need to think you're perfect.

But what if you think that using Shadow and Light both is the perfect way?
Meow
Light and Shadow are complete opposites. They would cancel eachother out. So, I don't even think it would be possible to use them both in the first place. O_o But, that's just my thought.

Carry on.
pletious Wrote:Light and Shadow are complete opposites. They would cancel eachother out. So, I don't even think it would be possible to use them both in the first place. O_o But, that's just my thought.

Carry on.

Not using at the exact same time... Just being able to use both
Meow
It is not impossible, as it is even stated that younger priests often take new looks on the light. This could be your priest's personal look, sure. But it would require a great explaination. Put yourseld in the world. See all the things brought by the shadow. I can not think of many that are good. Now see what good was brought by the light. I can only think of the scarlet Crusade that has done bad. If this character can see around the pillars that would be cast before almost all people, then feel free. If one needs to meta-game to search for a reason, then it is best not to be played. I've wanted to do a character like this 2 years ago too, but I came to terms with it was just me who wanted to play the character, and I could not rationally see a way to. So I deleted them.
Pletious doesn't mean at the same time. It's just nearly impossible to be adept at using two completely opposite forms of magic. Not to mention that, like Jeff said in more words, if your character uses one then he or she probably hates the other.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Terant. <3
Jeff Wrote:It is not impossible, as it is even stated that younger priests often take new looks on the light. This could be your priest's personal look, sure. But it would require a great explaination. Put yourseld in the world. See all the things brought by the shadow. I can not think of many that are good. Now see what good was brought by the light. I can only think of the scarlet Crusade that has done bad. If this character can see around the pillars that would be cast before almost all people, then feel free. If one needs to meta-game to search for a reason, then it is best not to be played. I've wanted to do a character like this 2 years ago too, but I came to terms with it was just me who wanted to play the character, and I could not rationally see a way to. So I deleted them.

But I won't give up so easily, I'll find a way. I have to metagame, since I'm not IN the game to try and experiment using both religions.
I'll just write in my history how I came to the conclusion of how to use both religions.

Terant Wrote:Pletious doesn't mean at the same time. It's just nearly impossible to be adept at using two completely opposite forms of magic. Not to mention that, like Jeff said in more words, if your character uses one then he or she probably hates the other.
Mages use fire and ice, they're opposite enough.
Believing in one doesn't make you hate other. IRL example: If you believe in God, you hate Buddha?
Meow
Kenert Wrote:Believing in one doesn't make you hate other. IRL example: If you believe in God, you hate Buddha?

Straw Man, plus do not brign up religion on the server in a possible way to show hatred towards a figure or belief.

If you have to metagame to make your character, then I can already say off the bat this character may not fly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal/Public Status of Shadow Users c0rzilla 28 7,222 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  [Questions] Priests yo. Psychyn 5 1,658 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Psychyn
  Shadow Envoy and me. Osvaldas 0 720 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Osvaldas
  Need help roleplaying a shadow priest Daggermouth 6 3,593 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Warcraft 1 Light quote. hyenaskate 9 2,055 07-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Zenethen