The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Warcraft 1 Light quote.
Found this quote about light :O Pretty cool, I think.

"The aiding of our brothers and sisters in times of sorrow, grief, and illness is the primary concern of the disciples from Northshire Abbey. This has required us to devise a way to ease the burdens of those about us, without causing another an equal burden. This has led us to using the spirit of humanity itself to heal all forms of injury or disease. The effect is that the pain and injury of the one afflicted is divided amongst all humanity, making the burden easier to bear"
Most of the Light stuff in WC1 was retcon'd. :/
(07-27-2012, 04:46 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Most of the Light stuff in WC1 was retcon'd. :/

... except I don't see how this line is retconned at all. Seems to fit in with the current lore about the Light, eg curing disease, healing wounds, ect. The "spreading it among all humanity" seems more like a metaphor than literal speaking.

... even if it was literal, there are paladin abilities that specialize in sharing damage and heals among party members (Hand of Sacrifice, anyone?).
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Yes but from what I read from the quote, the Light was human-made.

Plus there was a God in WC1... I mean, all of it was changed up. We all know the naaru gives us the Light, so this 'spirit of humanity' doesn't seem like it would involve a naaru because it's faith based off race.

Otherwise, yes. The light can do all of those things. :P
...Actually, the Naaru only "give" Light to the Draenei, and the Sin'dorei/Quel'dorei via the Sunwell. They are not the source of Light.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Oh, I thought they could give light to all races actually. Silly me.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

Well, technically, priests do call forth their powers from their own faith and strength of will. I wager that it would be taught in human seminaries that the Light is the source of a priest's powers, to encourage them to abide the tenets and codes of the religion (and stop them going off on their own power trips if they became dissatisfied with the church), but this strikes me as little more than a self-conscious commentary on the nature of priestly magic.

'The spirit of humanity itself' likely refers to the human spirit: humanity's naturally willful disposition, as well as their cultural inclination towards altruistic behaviour. Harnessed through training, meditation and holy education, it's easy to see why Warcraft humans make good priests.

Good find!
http://www.wowpedia.org/Light

"No one feels he deserves it... its grace, pure and simple... but the Light loves us anyway. - Uther the Lightbringer"

"While most followers of the Holy Light do not worship any gods, the power apparently does come from some sapient being, or beings, or force, known simply as the "Light" for lack of a better description.[citation needed] One source of the Light (though not the only one) is the race of beings known as the Naaru. During the draenei's exodus from Argus, Velen and his followers were imbued with Light-given knowledge and powers by this (otherwise unknown) race of incorporeal beings."

"The young High General Abbendis seems to believe that the Light is some kind of sapient entity with a will, which it expresses in ways that that are not meant to be understood. She writes that it calls to her in the  [The Path of Redemption] and  [The Diary of High General Abbendis], saying "Come to me...". She believes that it is able to take notice of believers' good deeds, works and prayers. She states that the force of its voice has clarity and sense of purpose. However, the entity that calls her may be something else far more sinister, as she discusses in her diary that it commands her to abandon the Scarlet Crusade to its doom, an act she believes is dishonorable."

I honestly wouldn't rule it out. There's hints that Elune may be a naaru(or some other deity) , same with the Earthmother/Sunwalkers.

I dunno, I myself is more of a 'seeing is believing' person. While faith is the fueling source for the Light, I personally think there needs to be something bigger or larger is rewarding that faith with power. Otherwise, literally any human could wield the Light as a natural talent if their faith held true, similar to how the Draenei with the Gift of the Naaru. (Perhaps the human spirit is it, as Sol suggested.)

Don't know, I've always though the naaru were the source of Light and the humans were believing in tenets that matches the naaru's mindset so they rewarded them.

However... I've found interesting stuff.

"The Holy Light teaches that there is a connection between the self and the universe. This connection manifests as what we feel through both senses and emotions. When a person is moved, through seeing something breathtaking or feeling love for another, that emotion connects him to the universe. Experiencing the emotion ensures that he exists, as something within him felt the emotions or processed the sensual awareness. Because he exists, so must the universe that gave him that feeling. From there, he can act upon the universe, causing more changes to create feeling in others. Thus, the followers of Holy Light seek to make the world a better place by being true to their own emotions."

(Am I the only one that sees this as an opening for paladins to sleep around and love freely to make other people happy?)

"Some Knights of the Silver Hand apparently believed that, "...after death, a mage's soul would be condemned to the same pit of darkness shared by the mythical demons of old. This no matter how pure their soul might have been otherwise."[2] Essentially, damnation.[3] Members of the church would sing the hymn Deo Gratias, "Thanks be to God". A leading paladin, Duncan Senturus, believed that tasks and paths were often chosen by a "higher power".[4] He believed that evil things were ungodly and devilish."

(Totally an opening for Dragon Age Templars-like paladins.)

The more I know!
Saying "source" is a powerful word. However, the Naaru are again only one source. Other sources include... well, pure faith.

Uggh. This stuff is always so muddled. I wish they had people to just write some finite details about light and dark, holy and unholy, and all that jazz, because this is a topic of interest all over the place faaaaar too often.

Instead, Blizz is like "Oh hey, let's be confusing with our lore and stuff."
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Personally? I believe that one of the Titans is the end-path source of the Light. Some others may be empowered enough to give Light of their own (Naaru), but in all ends the said Titan is the end-path, since the Light is said to be the 'true enemy' of the Burning Legion, and if you go down to base attributes of both sides, the Army of the Light is all about order and life (What the Titans want) and the Burning Legion is all about chaos and destruction (What the Titans don't want).

Probably just me being a Titan fanatic, but that's my 2 cents :3

Also, it was to my understanding that Priests get their power via faith and dedication. Y'know, so long as a priest is faithful to the Light in some form, they can use their Light powers and all that. Not sure how that might relate to the possible Titan thing, but hey, it's a start of a mystery.

... To the original post of the thread, I think the quote is just a humanistic WC way of saying 'We all bros, we all connected somehow, and so we all feel the pain fo' one person or many. Cus we all connected an' stuff. So now have some Light and feel better. Did I mention we all connected only mentally not actually physically and all that?'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Character as a World of Warcraft Boss - Take #2 Krilari 51 9,014 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Last Post: MstrCorvus
  The Butcher's Bill: A Defense of Medical Work in the World of Warcraft rentreality 19 3,932 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Over the Hill: A treatise on aging in a World of Warcraft Jonoth 1 998 12-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  "Make love, not warcraft!" A Plea for Positivity. Zarquon 20 3,690 05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Adam255
  The World of Warcraft Mary Sue Litmus Test Qaza 56 9,851 03-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Hawk