The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

[Discussion] Flying Parchment and other such things.
Quote:(Three instances in which it has happened, actually, sadly only two are usable for flight.

One. Avenging Wrath creates literal wings of Holy Energy. You can't fly with them, but fel, they're pretty.

Two. Fel-Sworn mutate wings due to exposure to Fel.

Three. Dragonsworn can conjure a set of wings to fly with, the colour of their dedicated Aspect.

Moreover, Magi can Slow Fall, Levitate and even Fly IC. They can sure enchant a letter to fly to its destination. Or they can teleport it.)

One. Those wings are cosmetic. They don't actually do anything.

Two. Those are mutated wings due to fel corruption. Are we able to corrupt pieces of parchment so much that they grow wings and fly to a person?

Three. They're Dragonsworn. They've been given powers by a dragon, which normal mages do -not- have access to. Hell, an Archmage would not be able to pull off the things a dragon can do.

Teleport a letter to a location? That's pretty crazy. Do our mages have constant knowledge of where people are, so that letters can be teleported to them? Teleporting to a mailbox is one thing. Teleporting a letter directly to a person is another.

Going back to the subject of the flying pieces of parchment. How do they know where to go? How much energy does it take to create wings on a letter? How fast do they move? Can they be intercepted? How long do the wings last? Until someone picks it up? Until it reaches the person it is headed to?
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Xigo Wrote:
Quote:(Three instances in which it has happened, actually, sadly only two are usable for flight.

One. Avenging Wrath creates literal wings of Holy Energy. You can't fly with them, but fel, they're pretty.

Two. Fel-Sworn mutate wings due to exposure to Fel.

Three. Dragonsworn can conjure a set of wings to fly with, the colour of their dedicated Aspect.

Moreover, Magi can Slow Fall, Levitate and even Fly IC. They can sure enchant a letter to fly to its destination. Or they can teleport it.)

One. Those wings are cosmetic. They don't actually do anything.

Two. Those are mutated wings due to fel corruption. Are we able to corrupt pieces of parchment so much that they grow wings and fly to a person?

Three. They're Dragonsworn. They've been given powers by a dragon, which normal mages do -not- have access to. Hell, an Archmage would not be able to pull off the things a dragon can do.

Teleport a letter to a location? That's pretty crazy. Do our mages have constant knowledge of where people are, so that letters can be teleported to them? Teleporting to a mailbox is one thing. Teleporting a letter directly to a person is another.

Going back to the subject of the flying pieces of parchment. How do they know where to go? How much energy does it take to create wings on a letter? How fast do they move? Can they be intercepted? How long do the wings last? Until someone picks it up? Until it reaches the person it is headed to?

I mentioned tracking. Everyone has mana despite not being a mage. Magic is as natural as water or air in Azeroth. The letters could be attuned to that signal, or something else unique about a person. Probably not much energy, the wings would be small and light. And I'd figure they could be intercepted like any carrier pigeon. How long? Who knows. Might depend on the strength of the mage making these letters.

And ley-walkers can teleport to a person anywhere they are. Perhaps, Athaulbaug, a ley-walker did something with his awesome ley-walker powers.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Huh. You can track anyone simply because they have mana? I didn't know that. Criminals beware. We can find you. No matter where you are.

This also brings up the issue of making new things in the lore. We are assuming that it's even possible for these winged letters to exist, even without evidence from the lore. If you manage to find a source that says 'we can send letters with wings on them to people' then I will immediately back off.

Quote:How long? Who knows. Might depend on the strength of the mage making these letters.

I don't like to deal with indefinite things. You should consider figuring out the exact workings of these wing letters. Or. Better yet. Find a source that tells us what these wing letters can do. That'd solve a great deal of issues.

Ley-Walkers can teleport to a person anywhere they are. I just checked the wowwiki page for Ley-Walkers and this is the only line concerning them being able to teleport directly to people. http://www.wowpedia.org/Ley_Walker

Quote:The ley walker may snatch up the threads of ley line energy and affix them to herself or an ally within 30 feet, allowing magical energy to strike the threads and flow away.

It says absolutely nothing about teleporting long-distances to a specific person.

EDIT: Wait a tick. Rereading that line, it... has absolutely nothing to do with teleporting things at all.

So we really have -nothing- concerning that.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Again, windstones had no basis in lore, in that they did not exist as a known object on WoWWiki. But we worked with them to make them make sense and they are acceptable now.
I don't see why we can't do the same for something as minor as this.
Also, the attitude isn't needed.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Speaking of Windstones. When you say 'Windstone', I think 'Windstone'. http://www.wowpedia.org/Windstone

Regardless, let us dwell on the flying letters with arcane wings. Not magical rocks that serve as tracking devices, can be shut down somehow, are an uncrackable communications system, and can be used to draw a veritable army of good-guys to your location with a simple 'hey, there's a bad guy here'.

Minor as this? This is -not- minor. This is fairly major. These letters would be an absolutely new element to the Warcraft lore. Nothing like them has existed before.

If we are to create magical letters with arcane wings that fly to your location because your mana can be tracked, we must be absolutely certain they should exist.

Attitude? I'm just trying to tackle a situation and back myself with what little lore I know.
I think such things can exist as long as they've a predetermined direction-- not just saying 'olook I found u'.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Perhaps. But even then. There's the new element of flying pieces of paper with wings.
Ladies, keep it civil.

I don't see why you're making the jump from Flying Letters to the Windstones, Xigo. Don't derail your own thread.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
I touched on the issue, and now I'm back on the subject of flying parchments of paper. Perhaps I derailed for a moment, but I quickly went on track again.

Regardless, since we're simply going to be throwing this at eachother back and forth indefinitely, I have a proposal.

Allow the GM team to decide whether or not these should exist.
I don't see the big deal. =/
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
I feel as if something has happened icly that has sparked this, now, magical letters that fly to others?

Depends on the distance, no?

The letter may be subject to natural causes from the earth. Wind, water, and so on.

Depends where the letters going I suppose. Though, this has perked an interest topic I'd like to join in on in the discussion!

Edit: And on top of that, the letter would have to have it's own artificial intelligence if it were to travel long distances, how would it know to go up and over a mountain, instead of crashing right into it?

Edit2: No replies still, slow discussion.
Quote:The letter may be subject to natural causes from the earth. Wind, water, and so on.

Fair point. Even if it is allowed, and it has magic wings that carry it, it's still paper. If it gets, say, rained on, that'd ruin the letter. How would one get around this?
[Image: tumblr_mjjxhcqmG51qh076xo1_250.png]
Or you know, birds in the sky, and so forth. Lots of possibly reasons.
Everything can be scaled. Infernals come in gradients of power and size. Magic flames can and will vary in volume and intensity. A conjures muffin is not a conjured Russian Teacake.

Nonetheless, I question how much of a farcry it is to put fairly manueverable and long-lasting wings on a person if it is possible on a humanoid.

Additionally, this tracking by mana signature... I don't like this.

It opens a whole new world of hurt for less protected individuals that catch the eye of an evil arcanist group and has the potential to make the metagaming lynch party's day.

( Posted from phone. )
To add to the rain/bird/other inconveniences getting in the way part, I would assume if it was so important to send this letter by flight instead of just mailing it, that there would be many a spell added to protect it from getting ruined.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things change Magikox 3 6,966 06-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  2 things, guild/location Samlock 4 2,202 08-24-2014, 02:50 AM
Last Post: flammos200
  Dk's, Can they forget certain racial things? Samlock 10 2,263 05-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Things That Make You Go LOK'TAR Jonoth 10 2,239 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Valicor
  Discussion: Killing Characters Xigo 24 3,995 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Kimaira