The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Server Restart Date
UPDATE: The restart is currently scheduled to happen on the 8th!

The restart will involve the following:

1. Character wipe. This will also involve an archival of profiles, and will function in a similar manner to the last restart where you will be able to submit changes to profiles as necessary.

2. Lore fixes. We'll be changing some things around with the timeline and using the official timeline, with best-guess dates for blurry areas (such as the events of Rise of the Horde, and the like) as opposed to the unofficial timeline (which, unfortunately, screws up some dates and makes certain lore characters impossible in terms of age.)

3. A location wipe. Certain custom areas will be no more.

4. A chance to start fresh for any character that wishes to start over. This, like the last restart, will be an "opt in or opt out" sort of deal, so if you want to keep past events, feel free. Assuming, of course, this does not conflict with the new lore changes.

5. Annihilation of the prestige system, replaced by either the variant system or no system at all, depending on player votes. For exact details concerning this, see the thread in General Discussion.

Any questions? Post below!
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Does the character wipe involve and OOC one, or are we going to have to manually delete each character that isn't being used post-restart?
Which custom areas are being deleted? Will character profiles have to be resubmitted?
(08-23-2011, 08:03 PM)kindle135 Wrote: Which custom areas are being deleted?

Mimiron's Anchorage will burn in flames.

Can't say as to the rest of them!
Oh my...someone has a burning passion for something.

Butbutbut...

ALL MY ACHIEVEMENTS. I'll have to run around the whole bloody world again! QQ
Also, I'm sure I know the answer but I'll ask for clarification anyways:

Cataclysm: Are we hopping ship?

(My guess is not yet)
[Image: Zf6X.gif][Image: 3vBq.gif][Image: q3iX.gif][Image: 5rVk.gif]
Mah babehs. I'm watchin' you, government.
Characters will OOCly be wiped, and profiles will have to be resubmitted.

I just spoke with Kretol, and he mentioned that he intends on doing a full database wipe, which means pretty much all custom areas are getting zapped.

Edit: This is not a switch to Cataclysm. We're doing it ahead of time, which will give us the opportunity later to do pre-Cata events, once we know when we're doing the switch.
(08-23-2011, 08:27 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: Edit: This is not a switch to Cataclysm. We're doing it ahead of time, which will give us the opportunity later to do pre-Cata events, once we know when we're doing the switch.

By 'doing it,' do you mean a client change without the according lore changes (so new items and such) or the server wipe itself?
i am geko
i live heer
and my favorite food is crikkits
So many sets to re-build... the horror...
Oooh.

Thank you, Grakor!
(08-23-2011, 08:36 PM)hiddengecko Wrote:
(08-23-2011, 08:27 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: Edit: This is not a switch to Cataclysm. We're doing it ahead of time, which will give us the opportunity later to do pre-Cata events, once we know when we're doing the switch.

By 'doing it,' do you mean a client change without the according lore changes (so new items and such) or the server wipe itself?

The server wipe itself. Again, we're making no change to Cataclysm yet.
Tiny question... Wiki profiles will be wiped as well? Or can I keep them there and copy them over once the server was restarted?

Also, how long will the downtime be?
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?
Exact downtime is to be determined.

Wiki profiles will likely be archived, so you won't be in a rush to get them copied.
Why are we deleting our characters, remaking them, and then deleting them when we switch to Cata, and then remaking them again?

Like, really. Why?

EDIT: To further emphasize: WHY are we wiping in the first place? Why not save all of this until once we hit Cata?
(08-23-2011, 10:20 PM)Saronsen Wrote: Why are we deleting our characters, remaking them, and then deleting them when we switch to Cata, and then remaking them again?

Like, really. Why?

EDIT: To further emphasize: WHY are we wiping in the first place? Why not save all of this until once we hit Cata?

With knowledge of the upcoming wipe and the destruction of the prestige system, as well as claims that the server has gotten stagnant, it's generally decided that a restart needs to happen sooner rather than later. A restart will be necessary in order to get the lore reboot that we need anyway.

So, the time is right.

Waiting for Cataclysm may be preferable, but we have no power over when Cataclysm will be an option for us. This way, we can get characters settled in again, and do server events leading up to the events of Cataclysm, once we have a better idea of when this switch will occur.

Ultimately, the OOC wipe happening twice isn't that much of an issue, given that this is an RP server and most of what we'll be losing are small things anyway. The most important stuff, like RP items, are free. Another OOC wipe for Cata may be a small annoyance, but I think the overall joy of finally getting the expansion will sort of trump that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restart Preparation - Account Creation Kretol 55 8,672 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Tentative Restart Date: July 31st Kretol 20 4,469 07-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Wedny
  Timeline after the Restart Kretol 64 10,095 07-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Kretol
  Court Date: April Sixth, 03:00 PM EDT SinkMarylandSink 4 1,174 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Last Post: MrWeasel