The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

"Family Values": A story of orcs and draenei
Bear in mind that I haven't collected manga since 2008 (can no longer afford it), and to be quite frank, Warcraft: Legends would be among the last series of graphic novels I'd buy. Volume 2 was available in my university bookstore, and reading the other stories it contained, save Thrall facing Cairne (I think it's Cairne), the other stories were sort of... bland and uninteresting. Well, predictable. Same with the very last one, "Family Values"... except it presented to me as a gem as it has one of the rarest things concerning Draenei lore: It specified orc and draenei relations beyond "they kept to themselves". Of course, there is Rise of the Horde, but that one would require actually getting the novel, sitting down, and reading the whole thing. I can read "Family Values" in a matter of 10 minutes standing up because it's a short story (a single manga chapter).

http://www.wowpedia.org/Family_Values

I haven't bought the book, but if I cannot find copies of it in the many libraries I can go to (many of them have their own graphic novel section), I maaaaaaay buy it, scan the chapter, and then return it. But from what I remember, this is confirmed concerning orc and draenei relations:

1.) Orcs and draenei may have kept to themselves largely, but they did have trading posts where they did have regular contact. It wasn't elaborated on what exactly was traded, so I speculated it would not that be that much different with settlers interacting with natives on the basis of trade: weapons, food, ideas, and bits and pieces of culture.

2.) Orcs and draenei did share each others' languages. The main character of the story, Jaruk, speaks fluent Draenic, and his adopted daughter Leena eventually learns Orcish.

3.) Not every orc drank demon blood on the spot upon its introduction to the people ("drink from the Chalice of Rebirth"), though granted, Jaruk may have simply be an exception, not a rule. He was also apologetic for what he was doing to the draenei when the story opened, seeing the slaughter of the draenei a disgrace among orcish honor. The story then follows his path to redemption.

4.) Not every draenei hates the orcs for what they've done. There is a draenei male who survived the slaughter that talks to Jaruk on a friendly basis near the end of the story, seeing how they both want to survive. Again, this could be simply an individual case, but a very plausible one.

There may be other things concerning the story for orc/draenei lore, but that's probably it. Much of the story is Jaruk kicking orcish bum while protecting Leena, so much of the lore is done through exposition.

So why am I posting this? WELL...

I am a blatant, unabashed draenei and orc fangirl. Though I still consider myself lore weak, if I am to strengthen my lore in any area of the game franchise, it's pre-Dark Portal orc and draenei lore. I love the idea of orcs and draenei having at least a chance to friendship before the arrival of Kil'Jaedan, and really, the slaughter and bloodlust... it's tragic for the orcs as well as the draenei.

Not often, if ever, is this element in orcs and draenei ever explored in RP. I've made some attempts through Mahen'Tosh and Kapre (who were/are BFFs), but it'd be met with (IC) discouragement. Which... I actually like, to be honest, especially from other draenei players. Not so much with orc, though, probably because Mahen tends to be surrounded by a generation of orcs who wouldn't remember Draenor.

But what do you think? I do hope to explore more of orc/draenei relations in RP and lore reading, and even write a short story about it. I still have to read Rise of the Horde, but that will have to be a story for another day.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Eh. The story didn't really prove much, beyond the fact that an Orc Noble (Nobles often learn other languages, mind. Orc Nobles are called Diplomats, I believe) knows Draenic. This Orc felt bad for a Child and ran away with said kid. I'm more interested in the fact that the Mag'har stayed around corrupted Orcs and didn't become corrupted himself, via way of contagion;

Quote:A Blood Curse is contagious; even though only twelve clan chieftains personally drank Mannoroth's blood, nearly every orc in the Horde was soon under its influence.
I'm also curious about the Mag'har, but there was no mention of them. The comic was in black and white, so I wouldn't know the skin color of Jaruk and his people.
Amazingly enough, I have that book. One of my fav stories. And I've also had the same thoughts. :D
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
Well, considering how the Mag'har are Allies of the Horde, I'd imagine their thoughts toward the Draenei are less-then-friendly.
I'd maybe surmise that the Mag'har and the Draenei are similar to the Night Elves and Tauren: possibly estranged by politics, but possibly friendly in private.

Individual cases always vary, of course.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Less than friendly by association, perhaps.
If you are ever looking for some orc/draenei RP ImagenAshyun Grogloki would be down for some peaceful RP although I will say that I have a knack for adventure/action RP as well lol. I blame Gi Joes growing up lol. Anyways hit me up if you ever want to RP :)
[Image: 15.jpg]
Rhozak will return to help Kapre pump more iron.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orcs, Humans, and Factions Oh My! Vladdy 4 1,591 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Last Post: ProjectRandom
  CotH Family Tree(s) Beltharean 65 16,947 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Orcs - Subtle lore from the novels Beltharean 5 1,389 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Sol
  Orcs and the Shadow Pact Beltharean 7 1,526 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Thoradin