The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Sisters of the Light
I am implementing a new guild based roughly on the Sister's of the Light in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

"The Sisters of the Light are many things, but gentle is not one of them."

What is a Sister of the Light

The Sisters of the Light are a group of women who are dedicated to serving the the Light; be it Elune, the Aspects, or a Creator who represents the Light; they are doing the bidding of the Light in all things. Each Sister is a sorceress of some skill and had learned to use their gift for the good of man kind before passing their initiate rites. The calling of the Sisters was to fight the wrongness in the world, to be a beacon of light to all who knew them.

Okay, so I know what they do, but how does this work?

Let me first introduce you to the teaching of the Sister.

Arcane is the word used to mean the power of life that exists everywhere, according to the Sisters of the Light, encased inside mankind by the hand of the Creator. Humans used their abilities when they directed their mind to do anything. Those who were gifted wizards or sorceresses are able to use their Arcane to perform magic.

A wizard or sorceress is able to direct the arcane outside of themselves to interact with the real world. A normal person used their Arcane when they moved, talked and other such everyday things, but their gift was otherwise useless. There were several kinds of people, capable of using their magics to direct certain abilities outside of their body, however sorceresses and wizards were the most powerful fighters within the group.

Sorceresses are formidable women, capable of exceptional feats. However, they were only capable of some of what a wizard can do. The men tend to naturally be stronger in fire than the female counterpart; who, usually excel in hydromancy or Ley studies.

When on missions, Sisters gather young wizards and women to be trained in their gift. They bring these young children (better at this age because of obedience levels throughout one's life) to the Sanctuary of Light. The Legionaires knew the secret of the dark women in the Sisterhood and taught them his ways; they became the Sisters of the Dark.

Wait, Sisters of the Dark?

The Sisters of the Dark are a covert group of sorceresses, sworn to serve the Legion, who secretly live among the Sisters of the Light pretending to serve the Light. In return for their loyalty, the Dark Sisters learn evil magics. The leader of the Sisters of the Dark is acted much like a Dark Mother Superior to the Dark Sisters. She alone knows the identities of all the Sisters of the Dark. The Dark ones have been able to lure many Sisters to join him by giving them promises of immortality and power when the Legion reigns,

The average Sisters day

The Sisters are lead by a High Priestess, who has supreme authority over their lives and runs them where the Sisters resided. The previous High Priestess of the Sisters of the Light had been Katherin Luhadrin for almost eight hundred years, though upon faking her death, she handed her title and authority over to Morgose, the Lady of the Lake.

A Sister of the Light could be sent on journeys for several reasons, though the most important missions involved the bringing of a gifted boy to the Palace, because of the rarity of the event. The most important journey of all was given to The most eligible Sister.

The Sisters of the Dark were the polar opposites, in terms of beliefs, of the Sisters of the Light and though most Sisters originally believed the Sisters of the Dark to be a myth, they were very real eternal enemies.

Sisters of the Light wielded only their natural ability as a sorceress,Arcane (Fire, Water, Air based spells. Lightning as well) or Light magic; each is formidable in its own right.

Any race is welcome so long as they can swear under a spell of bewitching that they do not serve the Shadow, and only want what is best for the people.

Sorceress who wish to be combat oriented should roll a Magus, those more devout on their path to the Light or Shadow should roll Priests. Unless you want a dark Sister mage. You get the idea.

Wizards who wish to train must apply by finding us IC.

Full wizards who graduate and receive the Sanctuary's blessing are free to stay and study, or go abroad. Rouge wizards who missus their power will be hunted by the Sisters.

I think I covered anyway, have questions, fire away. <3

doh, original cited: http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Sisters_of_the_Light
While overall a sort of priestess society does sound interesting, I'm not all too keen on keeping it 100% to this book you're referencing.

For example, while there are Light-users who believe in a creator, they do not call their light any differently... This is assuming they are priests and not mages? (Also, remember, we don't allow multi-classing)

As well, the ability to drain another persons's ability to use the Light/magic/ect... Is a tad odd and only really possible via blood elf racial mana tapping, but even then they don't take the whole thing.

Just a few of my concerns. Overall it does sound interesting!

(Posted from the iPhone)
(Just to point this out.

Sister is of the Light, is what it's currently read as. :P)
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Wait, this is roughly based on Goodkind's work? Or have you included all of the information just as reference and then are going to pick and choose what parts should be applied to the world? Because, currently it looks like a direct port of the group other than changing who the Sisters of Dark serve.

(03-30-2012, 09:19 AM)Krilari Wrote: For example, while there are Light-users who believe in a creator, they do not call their light any differently... This is assuming they are priests and not mages? (Also, remember, we don't allow multi-classing)

You can be a believer in the Holy Light of Creation and practice its beliefs without being a priest. It was my assumption that the Sister's Sisters were mages who happened to be followers of the Light. Anything else wouldn't be allowed, since it would delve into the realm of multi-classing. But that's just my guess.
It's is roughly based because as you say their is no creator per say or Dark One, for their substitution the Light and Burning Legion work.

Sorceress can be magi and still devote themselves in spirit to the Light even if they can't use it's power. The Priestess' are the Light users and such, but all of the women combined form the Sisters of the Light. So no multi-classing, just alternative core class ways to develope.

The ability to draw magic from an individual was the thing I wasn't sure on and I agree it could be missused so it should be taken out.

Edited.
This is heresy.
(03-30-2012, 12:01 PM)Nephuria Wrote: It's is roughly based because as you say their is no creator per say or Dark One, for their substitution the Light and Burning Legion work.

A number of the Clerics of Northshire were portrayed as having worshiped a singular entity which they called God. There are also characters within the game who refer to the Light as if it were somehow a sapient being rather than just a source of power.

I also know that there are a handful of characters on Conquest of the Horde who believe in some sort of higher power (God, just for ease) who is somehow associated with the Light.

The idea of there being a "Creator" of a sort isn't too farfetched. I'd just be a little wary with making the organization exactly like the one in Goodkind's novels. A lot of the lore behind it just will not mesh well with Warcraft and you could easily end up with a concept (character or guild) that just won't work.
I think if we keep the training collars and han draining out of it, it should work, it would be a sentinel meets PoTM type deal for lack of a better comparison. Also it's a good alternative to traditional schooling for characters, if they choose to participate.

Edited a few things.
(03-30-2012, 09:09 AM)Nephuria Wrote: The Sisters of the Light are a group of women who are dedicated to serving the the Light; be it Elune, the old gods, or a Creator who represents the Light; they are doing the bidding of the Light in all things.

(03-30-2012, 09:09 AM)Nephuria Wrote: old gods

Apologies, but I'm not sure you quite understand what the Old Gods are and how they work.

WoWPedia Wrote:The Old Gods (aka Elder Gods, old whisperings or old lords of the earth) are mysterious, godlike and greatly malefic entities which ruled in tyranny over the infant word of Azeroth before they were sequestered by the titanic Pantheon.

Few researchers know anything about the Old Gods and their mad worshipers; until C'Thun made its presence felt in Ahn'Qiraj, practically no one on Azeroth even knew the Old Gods existed. Even to most dragons they existed only as legends. The dark entities had ruled over a bloody chaos of which even the demon Lords of the Burning Legion could not imagine. They had ruled over the primal plane until the coming of the world’s creators. There had been war of cosmic proportions and, in the end, the Old Gods had fallen. The Old Gods had been cast down into eternal imprisonment, the place of their confinement hidden from all and their powers bound until the end of time. Nevertheless the Old Gods had somehow found a manner by which to reach out to the mortal plane and seek that which would free them.

These guys are not nice, and I'm not seeing how they fit in with the Sisterhood's Lighty view of the world. In some ways, they're even more dangerous than the Legion your Sisterhood fights against.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Old Gods are Lovecraft style villains... not really a lot that's about light and everything, as C0r has stated.

Think like Cthulu, rather than, well, anything even slightly "Holy" as to say.

Edit: Lul. Spelled it Love Craft. Derp.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

... Dem Elder Gods and their...

Phn'glui mgwl'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

But yeah, what they said.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
The main thing I'm concerned about is your 'Han'. The way you explain it makes it sound like it's not actually Arcane and more alike general bodily stamina.
All elves have magic, they need it to survive, that doesn't make them all magi though. The Well was Arcane it sustained even the priests. That was the point i was trying to make, that everyone has it, lives of it, but only few can do things with it. I edited it some :)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vigilance of the Light Thoradin 7 1,951 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Last Post: DannyRhodes
  The Church of the Holy Light Dascki 2 1,226 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Dascki
  Scorching Light Uthaniel 8 1,585 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Sol
  The Final Light Gaiaboy10 3 825 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Gaiaboy10
  The Light of Nova ThePharaoh 14 2,755 08-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Last Post: ThePharaoh