The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

TRP2 Languages
Here is a list of the languages based off the top of my head, and next to them is the list of people that I think should be -allowed- to use them. I am making this list specifically because I was told to be careful not to be overstepping my boundaries.

Common- all alliance characters, blood elves (they have a long history of trade with humans, and are the ones that taught humans the arcane arts)
Orcish- all horde characters
Thalassian- blood elves, night elves (very rarely; 100% because the two racial languages are very similar), humans (they have a long history of trade)
Darnassian- night elves, blood elves (very rarely; 100% because the two racial languages are very similar)
Dwarvish- dwarves, humans (not 100% fluency; they share the tram and history), gnomes (not 100%, they share a city)
Gnomish- gnomes, dwarves (not 100%, they share a city)
Draenei- Draenei
Troll/Zandali- Trolls, blood elves (like, maybe 20%, as they share a lot of history of war)
Taurahe- Taurens
Gutterspeak- undead, blood elves (language is very similar to common), all alliance characters (language is very similar to common)
Eredun- warlocks, blood elves (they've been in cahots! D=<)
Kalimag- mages (they summon elementals), shamans (they commune with them)
Binary- gnomes, engineers
Draconic- night elves (history), blood elves (history), mages (this is solely based off D&D where many spells and ancient things are written in draconic)

I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't recall. Anyways, I assume people have stuff to say to this, so... yell at me! =D
Need an objective and constructive criticism of art, literature, music, or RP concepts? Send me a PM. Highest consideration will be given.

Current Mood: Pleasant :)
I think characters aren't allowed to know racial languages other than his own.
[Image: tumblr_mhvoxjHaqC1rzearvo2_500.gif]
Casually humorous
If I understood the ruling...

No one's going to step in and say "No, your human cannot speak Thalassian" or whatever. But, they won't defend you either if someone complains.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
To quote Aroes from Caravan's profile (when stated that she is fluent in Goblin and dabbles in others):

(11-13-2011, 03:51 PM)aroes Wrote: ...for the record I'll put in here that we don't support characters with languages outside of their own. You can ask another player to tell you what they've said...but if they so no that's the end of it.[/color]

I know a lot of players (frequently myself included) will put a tag ( [Troll] [Orcish], etc) on their speech so as to not OOC exclude players. If the player(s) have a problem with it, jus' try to be respectful about it and talk it out.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
Mm. Using that tag approach, could one use more than their racial and faction languages (such as a shaman speaking kalimag as well)?
Need an objective and constructive criticism of art, literature, music, or RP concepts? Send me a PM. Highest consideration will be given.

Well, sure, I don't see why not (provided it isn't causing an issue) -- if anything, for those of us who do not have TRP2 or do not have Kalimag (for example) added to our dialects, it would help us to know what was going on.

It is easier to use the non-racial languages (Kalimag, Eredun (within reason), Binary) without issue.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
When I RP'd with someone who didn't have TRP2 (the only one I had met so far) I reverted to exactly that when speaking [Thalassian] so as not to be rude. So, like, omg, I agree with you.

Only issue is this: The only people to actually know Eredun and be able to properly speak it would be Eredun or the insane. Most people only know fragments of the language!
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Basically everyone would know Common by now, everyone is able to speak with everyone else. The barrier of Orcish and Common was simply put into game mechanics to avoid cross-faction abuse.

Mages probably wouldn't know Kalimag, summoning elements isn't a very common task and they're bound under their will. As far as I know they wouldn't teach their language to a mage, it's not like you could pick it up via just listening to it anyway.

Binary. There is no understanding or speaking, it's too silly, each word would be a very, very long code. There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Also, bare in mind, knowing Eredun can make you mentally instable.
Lorn is fluent in Kalimag and has spoken in it with members of the Earth Ring.

That said, you may wish to read this post by Grakor. I'm not sure if the policy has changed, but it's fairly concisely stated.
(04-18-2012, 05:53 PM)Piroska Wrote: Lorn is fluent in Kalimag and has spoken in it with members of the Earth Ring.

Similarly, I've had Taera speak Kalimag. As a Farseer, it makes sense she'd learn the language of the elemental spirits. And Macha, I've had speak Eredun. Since, Fel-sworn, obviously. You'd pretty much -have- to end up learning the language of your patron.

But yeah. As far as racial languages go, the rule says you're not allowed to use any that are not your in-game ones.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
I'm getting mixed messages here, so I am going to go with this: its okay, don't abuse it.

Also, Bounty? I enjoyed your binary joke.

Danke.

If you get mixed messages it's best to assume the worst and try not to use it (speak languages outside your own races) with the exception of common. Everyone can speak common.
Official policy per Grak's post is that your character should not know racial languages outside of his race. That means that, ideally, a night elf isn't going to speak Thalassian or Gnomish. An orc wouldn't speak Gutterspeak and Taurahe. And so forth. I have yet to read anything anywhere that contradicts that policy, which was enacted before the last server restart. The only exceptions, of course, are Common and Orcish (which, from a game perspective, are identical anyway).

That said, the rules tend to be a little more lax when it comes to non-racial languages. From what I understand, it means that you shouldn't be stupid. If your character a damned good, logical reason to know a language that is not a racial language, then you probably are fine. It's a great way to add interesting and fun dynamics to roleplay. For example, Lorn was exceedingly pleased when he found others who could speak Kalimag since few people do.

Of course, any official stance regarding the latter would be welcome since I do not recall ever reading or hearing one.
The latter is fine as long as there is a good reason to know it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TRP2 Unequip Stuff Edgar 0 821 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Edgar
  TRP2 / Flagrsp Holynexus 2 975 05-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Cataclysm and TRP2 SachikoMaeda 11 2,703 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Maarten
  FlagRSP and TRP2 Kage 6 1,717 04-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Languages, How to Make Them Work. Harmonic 9 2,880 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Dae