The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Races and Mounts
This is something that I have heard many things about, going multiple ways thought I would post it here and see what the general consensus is.

The question: What mounts are readily available to what race IC wise.

I am a huge Blood Elf Player (surprise surprise), but am not a huge fan of there racial mount (hawkstriders). I want to change it up but I keep hearing house rules about what mounts a Blood Elf, among other races, would and would not have readily available to them.

The only rule I know 100% (because I checked with a GM) is that the Raven Lord can not be used as an IC mount.
“In a calm, clear voice, she suggested that the wyrsa in question could do several highly improbable, athletically difficult and possibly biologically impractical things involving its own mother, a few household implements, and a dead fish.”

Mercedes Lackey, The Silver Gryphon
I would think any racial mount is available to any race. It just depends on how you obtain the mount. Official racial vendors I assume would go along with the OOC mechanic and won't sell you a horse as a dwarf, or a wolf as an elf, unless you have proved yourself to that race.

However my human Casey bought a ram from Cressy in Ironforge, so it comes back around... depends on how you say you obtained it.

Other mounts like warbears I believe are acceptable... and Mechano-Hogs are available to all races as well. Just those super rare mounts like of course Raven King, or the Pheonix, or Invincible... those are no nos.

I'm no GM and don't make the rules but these are the mounts I see being acceptable IC:

Horse
Ram
Sabers
Elekks
Mechano-strider
Wolf
Kodo
Raptor
Skeletal Horse
Hawkstrider
Turtle
Mechano-Hog
Gyrocopter?
War bear
Mammoth?
Talbuk
Class specific mounts

These are some things I assume not acceptable IC:
Invincible
Raven Lord
Spectral Tiger
Qiraji Mounts
Dragons

Dunno about all those.

I guess all mounts are available to all races if you can come up with a reasonable way they went about getting such a mount. But an elf riding an Elekk would probably be frowned upon.
Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
For elves, I think that if they didn't like a Hawkstrider, the next likely mount would be a horse. On the Horde side you'd have to choose between some rather hardy and rough animals such as the kodo, raptor, and wolf which seem a little too wild for elves in my opinion. I also think it would be pretty taboo to ride a skeletal horse, or at least strange for one to choose an undead mount.
My BE Priest rides a horse IC, so I have to make due with the Argent Warhorse.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Also note though: Some people end up with fancy mounts because of auctions/prizes for stuff/etc. So if you do see someone with a mount, keep that in mind. /nod

"yo whar u git dat ried? itz hawt"
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Anyone can honestly use any mount that their faction allows so long as there is a reasonable explanation for it. Horde characters cannot use alliance mounts and so-forth. Auctions are a great place to win mounts as well, as it gives you an IC reason to have it without needing to be logical. Thus far my character has won a Kodo, Horse and Tiger to ride on.
Quote:Tiger

You and your durn cats..
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
(06-26-2012, 07:04 AM)Aadora Wrote: These are some things I assume not acceptable IC:
Qiraji Mounts

Spoiler:
[Image: iaza16142781940200.jpg]

[Image: trollface.jpg?1296494117]

Trololul'wey strikes again.
... Anyone who dares have a draconic pet or mount will face my fiery wrath.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(06-26-2012, 10:19 AM)Xigo Wrote: ... Anyone who dares have a draconic pet or mount will face my fiery wrath.
...does that mean you'll have a heart attack when Cata comes to coth?
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
And I just posted on the topics of mounts last night...
I think its important to note that undead characters, particularly Forsaken, would have a hard time keeping a living mount calm and happy. But Forsaken look dead, sound dead, certainly smell dead, and are less
sensitive to little things, like being able to feel if the animal had a
fever, too. They don't go together very well, though I would be interested in seeing a Forsaken hunter deal with these issues come cata, should they train live beasts.
I was intending to RP this out with Flora, who has a penchant for Zhevra and knows how to care for rowdy equines between her agricultural life and dealing with unruly skeletal horses when she was active with the Forsaken. And of course, I'd play up the reluctance of the animal, possibly to humorous effect. (AKA: I'd LOVE to see Zhevra vendorable again)

Death Knights already have their death charger, but they often are more involved with the living and more likely have non-dead mounts. They still have a funny, not-quite-living smell, are of an abmormal temperature, and sound creepy (depending on how you play your DK) and would still likely make a living animal uncomfortable. Also, if they are wearing anything Saronite on them, the animal would go mad and that's just a bad thing. :(

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What races would actually become a Death Knight? Samlock 4 1,660 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Dae
  Sub-races and why We don't need to CMC them Thoradin 38 8,522 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Discussion on IC mounts Xigo 72 9,523 05-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Last Post: Delta
  Races... useless? Aadora 62 10,057 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Death Knight mounts ICly! Erynn 17 3,259 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Beltharean