The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Improving wiki profiles?
Hi,

I kinda like the idea of the wiki and especially that box template which is running about, but I somehow would love to further customize my profiles..Thing is, I don't have any ideas how to do so. I don't know, make them more lifelike or maybe give that that battleworn and weathered WoWpedia feel...Do you have any suggestions what I could add or alter to make them look...don't know, cooler? 20% so maybe? :3
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
Make sure you don't add anything beyond coding to pretty the page up!

I'd ask Piroska about improving your pages, as she is the wiki queen.
Anything beyond coding? What do you mean? :D

I'll surely ask Piroska then. ^_^ Maybe check her profiles.
Allons-y!

General rule for editing on the wiki is that you can do pretty much anything as long as you don't make substantial changes to the contents of the profile itself. So, for example, you could format it differently, add colors (which I usually don't advocate, but it's possible!), add pretty pictures or a gallery, structure the article differently, and add your own categories (a lot of people have categories for themselves, like Category:User:Piroska or Category:User:Jonoth). You can even make minute changes to the article, perhaps adding in a clarifying sentence or some other little thing.

The moment that you make a substantial change to a character article that would normally require scrutiny by the staff during the review process is the point at which you need to stop. Also, you should be considerate of viewers when formatting your characters' pages. If you render it completely incomprehensible, it's fairly certain that someone like me might come along and revert the change.

I'm not sure what you mean by the battleworn and weathered appearance of WoWpedia. We essentially use the same skin. I think that we even use many of the same templates from that site (I've been recreating or repurposing a lot of them over the years). Could you provide further clarification?

You could also utilize images to get the appearance that you want. For example, images like this on my characters' profiles.
^_^ Well I do basic editing already for sure (there's a wonderful charbox I found which I use), I meant more, what might make my articles more appealing to read and enjoy.

Concerning changes to the characters, I often reword my sentences too (not THAT often), and I usually like to add when there was a BIG event that greatly affected a character. Is it fine? (I take it that it all happened ICly, and it doesn't change the character's core concept, and that if it had been rule-breaking the RP would have been halted to begin with)
Allons-y!

(07-04-2012, 02:15 PM)Holynexus Wrote: Concerning changes to the characters, I often reword my sentences too (not THAT often), and I usually like to add when there was a BIG event that greatly affected a character. Is it fine? (I take it that it all happened ICly, and it doesn't change the character's core concept, and that if it had been rule-breaking the RP would have been halted to begin with)

You should post a topic to Private Discussion if you want to make changes/additions to a profile, which is why if I have to make such changes I do it in bulk. Whether its a change in abilities or a significant event to add, just start a topic and write the changes you intend to make, and the GM team is pretty quick to yay or nay it, and for the most part as long as you aren't adding anything crazy (like laser vision), it'll get the go ahead.

And for reference to everyone interested in these types of changes, it isn't solely the RPed stuff, but if you figure something else about the character that you want to add (they had a long lost twin, or the clan they thought they belonged to turns out to be the wrong clan), then just make a Private Discussion topic, and most things within reason will likely go through.
(07-04-2012, 02:15 PM)Holynexus Wrote: ^_^ Well I do basic editing already for sure (there's a wonderful charbox I found which I use), I meant more, what might make my articles more appealing to read and enjoy.

Jonoth has already covered the topic regarding changes to the substance of articles, so I'll snag this. Without knowing what you want to do I cannot tell you how to do it. Offhand, you can add images, image galleries, reformat or restructure the article, allow people to provide quotes to be displayed on your characters' profile (per this profile), and much, much more. The limitation is basically determining what you want done. If the code isn't already possible, someone could probably assist you in creating it or making a template.

A handful of people have also taken to posting stories regarding their characters (such as Jonoth's "Her Love is an Ocean") or even articles regarding their non-playable character companions (such as Don Bronco's Nepulton).

You can also modify your userpage, as I have done on mine. From there you can create any number of articles within that namespace (assuming that you follow content guidelines). For example, I maintain a characters page where I list my character.
Allright. Thank you for the tips, I'll think of something!! ^_^
Allons-y!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was skulking around the wiki, this is what I found... Nymus 2 1,176 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Nymus
  Updating the Wiki Diethe 3 1,199 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Linked Character Profiles Nation 4 1,200 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Aethon
  On the state of the Wiki Krilari 57 7,904 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Piroska
  Questions: Multiple accounts and Wiki edits ghaskan 10 2,291 11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Last Post: ghaskan