The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

What can we really do to this world?
I'm starting to wonder what we can actually -do- to Azeroth. Like is everything I'm trying to do, like maybe grow a tree, all for not? For example, what if I got a bunch of investers to make a house, or a village (I know it would be hard, not the point though). What can we actually -do- to the world? Even if we have to go to GMs. This server is awesome, but I've been wondering that, and maybe we can even do a small village that only runs on IC gold? That'd get the IC econemy back up, no?
I know if I could, I'd want to make, or work to make, a village like this. I'm sure a lot of people would -love- to help as well, just a thought in the penny jar, or however it's said.

Oh, this also was not ment to bash any set up this sever has D: I'm just saying that not only a customized location would be fun, but a guild used as council hall would also be fun, lots of events would also be easy to set up, I know I've wanted to make a "normal" character...
In darkness we are born, in shadows we are raised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK4h9xR7Dec
Anything is possible. The GM's have the power to create anything they or you can ever imagine. The world is practically their canvas in which they can sculpt and mold new and different surroundings, adding different objects and buildings in any matter they see fit. The only problem with an idea like that would be that a majority of the server would have to be on board with an idea like this for it to work. If it did work out, it most definitely would be awesome. A thriving IC town with currency, merchants, people, and everything would probably require a bunch of people to get it to work, but It most certainly can be done.
Yes, I just thought it would be a great idea, no? an IC only town, I wonder if any GMs and such would be into it?

I think this could be something all of CoTH will be interested in, I would like to make a town of -just- characters, but that's a little bit far fetched :P I would like to know if any of you have interest :D

This involves a lot of work for the GMs with not that much IC payoff. I mean, persistent game worlds are cool and all, but the server itself isn't meant to be a conventional game. The server is a tool to facilitate our social storytelling. Things like guild bases, personal housing and the likes are cool in theory, but wind up just being stuff... Just OoC status symbols that don't do anything to improve the actual Roleplay.
What I'd suggest is making IC posts about such marks on the world; the heart of the CotH iteration of Azeroth and beyond is in our characters, their societies, and history.
Even the new villages Rigley and Reigen made are just props to more easily represent the IC concept of newly establish (and recovered) towns. No one will be able to lay claim to any one spawned object of a shop or home or tent or anything else.

Now, if what you're thinking of simply can't be decently facilitated by existing world objects, imagination, and possibly a phase, (which you may request for individual RP sessions if you want to avoid mobs, NPCs and the like) then is when it is useful to call upon the GMs and our community to discuss editing our in-game world.
Something relevant is here.
There's also several destinations on the Portal that would be perfect for your proposed ideas (empty spawned towns ready to be used), but people don't actually use them.
Okay, as always you show me wisdom :P I heard there was once an IC economy, we could get a group to just use that, no? Just an idea to think about :D

And what towns are there? I would love to know :D (Can't get the new patch -just- yet for the new RP locations)

All of these questions are answered with some initiative, this is a community after all. Want to know what the locations are? Check the OOC Portal's menu or look in the thread Rigley posted about areas he's been decorating. Want an IC town? Get some players together to RP as the denizens. It's a silly misconception, to me at least, to think of the GMs as RP-making, wish-granting overlords, they just make places for general use by the player base and moderate to prevent abuse. Some other points to note; the IC economy isn't down, it's just in disuse due to things like a lack of merchant characters and you don't need your own location, just use a general location and some imagination and RP Location X can be Generic Town Y.
I would indeed suggest to check what locations are available on the Portal under RP locations. I know for Horde there's several places that could host a guild - however, as I mentioned, people don't seem to want to use them despite their awesome setups (perhaps because they didn't have the joy of taking over a town or some other existing place).
Soon, I intend to create a series of pages on the Wiki that will have brief descriptions of all the RP locations, but in the meantime I do suggest to check them out in-game.
I've been thinking of making use of a guild base spawned by Rigley, but seeing as there's little information on how people can actually find the town and make use of it , I've killed off the idea. As much as I'd like to use the place, I'm not going to randomly go "Hurr, look. An empty town that nobody has seen/heard of in ages"

At any rate Ormica, not sure whether you were aiming on the Horde faction or Alliance but I had a whole concept in the back of my head for Alliance. Using the IC currency, jobs, people paid for said work.. All that stuff to make it into a bustling town.
(08-17-2012, 03:23 AM)Psychyn Wrote: I've been thinking of making use of a guild base spawned by Rigley, but seeing as there's little information on how people can actually find the town and make use of it , I've killed off the idea.

Rigley, Rigen and the others who have introduced the IC zones have made posts explaining the back story to the towns and villages. As for places like the Redwatch redoubt, even though it didn't get its own thread, the backstory is explained to some degree in Rigley's Guild Base thread on his blog.

(08-17-2012, 03:23 AM)Psychyn Wrote: As much as I'd like to use the place, I'm not going to randomly go "Hurr, look. An empty town that nobody has seen/heard of in ages"

Why not?
Quote:Rigley, Rigen and the others who have introduced the IC zones have made posts explaining the back story to the towns and villages. As for places like the Redwatch redoubt, even though it didn't get its own thread, the backstory is explained to some degree in Rigley's Guild Base thread on his blog.

Yes, the back story is there but also the concept of it being hardly known. It was never considered to be a big settlement, so I'd.. happen to have to be in the area on a random exploration trip for no apparent reason to find it? I've double checked it with Rig, and it wouldn't even have been taught in history lessons or such. Been trying to come up with a valid reason, but it all seems so.. Forced.

Apologies for derailing the thread though, if you know a valid reason then feel free to shoot me a PM Kril. T'is appreciated.

Had a chat with Kril! Redundant post is redundant. ^.^ .. Not sure if I should just delete it so I'll just do this.
Then I'm in support of this IC town thing :D So if ya need people, I've even made an Alliance character with no story yet, so he could be in it, though I was thinking a nuetral, but an Alliance leader would make sence at least. Either way I'm all in, Psychyn.

(08-17-2012, 03:23 AM)Psychyn Wrote: I've been thinking of making use of a guild base spawned by Rigley, but seeing as there's little information on how people can actually find the town and make use of it , I've killed off the idea. As much as I'd like to use the place, I'm not going to randomly go "Hurr, look. An empty town that nobody has seen/heard of in ages"

Which location were you referring to?
I'm actually going to bump this, I don't feel as if the question was answered completely :P For it didn't say what we could do within the CotH rules :P

Like IC econemy wise or something like that :P

I don't think this really needs to be bumped. Mostly because these issues have been discussed many, many, many times before through out the years. And while I still profess a secret love to wanting to start an IC-Economy (I even wrote a freaking thesis paper on it), it is an endeavor that would take a HUGE amount of work. A STAGGERING amount. We're talking many months of careful, round-the-clock planning. The general consensus is that it isn't necessary to facilitate good RP. Too much work for little to no gain. The main fear is that, with such a strict focus on facilitating an actual in-game economy, we'd lose sight of the RP narrative. The server would get too wrapped up in numbers and farming and resource-management, and no one would want to actually create interesting character relationships.

Also, on the topic of 'Conquest RP' or 'changing the world,' we've had many instances where players have done that. Darkshire used to get sacked by dragon armies every now and then. The problem is, that RP isn't so much about the destination, as it is about the journey. Sure, you get a momentary excitement in liberating a town from a horde of evil demons. But, once you're done....you're done. There's really nothing to do. In nearly every instance of 'conquest' RP, we've had instances where players just kinda look at each other funny once the event is over, and then they wander back into Stormwind. The 'liberated' area or 'newly constructed' village sits there. Stagnant. Unloved. And it amounts to a whole lot of nothing.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  World of War-School Valicor 45 12,447 11-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  Your Character as a World of Warcraft Boss - Take #2 Krilari 51 9,014 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Last Post: MstrCorvus
  World News Archive Zhaei 0 1,064 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Zhaei
  Regarding Current World News sunday12321 1 1,032 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Caravan