The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Loxmardin Laments: Server Rules & Suffocation
Hello everyone.

A lot went down last night while I was sleeping, and now that I'm done catching up and thinking a bit on what has happened, I'll just see about putting my thoughts down here in my blog.

According to some claims, players are afraid of us GMs. For some reason I cannot possibly fathom at this point. Plenty of the old players here on CotH have said that the team these days isn't nearly as intimidating as it used to be (as has even been said by former members of the team), and I guess I can say that the team is nowhere near the same as back in the day. I've been on CotH now for over three years, and I've been a GM for two and a half. When I first joined the team, I admit that I was terrified of a few of the members on it and I had no idea how to move around them. I often felt like I was walking on glass, and that my ideas and concerns were brushed under the rug or simply didn't fit in to the server ideaology at the time. I'm a very stubborn creature, though, so I was adamant about continuing to pursue my ideals in hopes of influencing the server to become a better place to be for the players in order to deal with the problems I could see right then and there; problems I had started seeing already as a player, before hopping on the team and taking up the green name.

When I was a Grunt, I had this brilliant idea. I still have my PM somewhere in my inbox, I believe, where I detailed this idea I had to the admins. About a separate moderator title from the rest of the GM team that would act as a "shrink" of the community, of sorts. Not much happened with that idea until I joined the team, myself, and I continued to pester poor Kretol about this and was eventually allowed to give the "Counselor GM" a trial run.

I wanted to give the players a safe platform to communicate, if they truly were so afraid of communicating directly with the GM team. I mingled with players a lot, and I took my roleplay to populated zones regardless of who was in it. I wanted to be involved, and most importantly... I didn't want my communication opportunities to change from what they were before. I realized soon enough that it was impossible to keep them exactly the same since people would start to look at me differently, judging me by the colour I carried on my name in the forums. I still tried, though, approaching people and encouraging them to speak with me. And I believe that my efforts helped a little bit, at least, to help people trust us as GMs a little bit more. ... Mind, I'm not going to go and say "I did good stuff, yeah!", it's just... depicting from my point of view what I've spent my time and energy on since joining the team. Making it more approachable. And I know for a fact now that the majority of the team, if not all of it, is fantastic. They're all very good people who'd love to sit down and speak with y'all, given the chance. We like mutually respectful conversations and it really helps us do our job here on the server if people communicate with us when something's going on.

We can't do anything about a problem if no one tells us there is one.

Last night, I hear that people have felt like our rules and policies on the server have suffocated peoples' opportunities to roleplay, so to the point that people leave or feel opressed. I also heard that, apparently, this is not something people are confident to bring to the attention of the GMs. This is the first time I've heard about this being a significant issue amongst the playerbase. So, why, exactly, is it that us GMs come off as intimidating to some? Intimidating enough that, in fact, people are afraid to approach us about these problems? We don't hold on to these positions for our own sakes, but for the sake of the community as a whole. We love this community, or at least I know that I do. I wouldn't have stuck around for three years if I didn't love and care a great deal about it and its future, and I pour a lot of my time and effort into it to make it a pleasant place for everyone to be. I want people to have fun, enjoy themselves. Socialize, roleplay, and whatnot. Get a place to practice their hobby and interest together with like-minded individuals in a peaceful environment. This is what I strive for, and I personally believe that the rules we have right now are a good springboard to allow us, as moderators of this community, to help you, as players, to enjoy yourselves here.

This is really important to me. And if people are unhappy, I really want to know why. Because I want to do something about it. I know for a fact that most of the GMs share that sentiment. Of course, we can't fix everything. Some concerns can't be addressed, because there's nothing to address. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up about it. Speak, and at least let us put you at ease if that's the case. What's important is that you speak to us.

We really can't do anything unless you guys help us along. We don't see or hear everything that's going on. Approach us, and let us help you out. Because that's what we're here for.

Okay, guys?

Okay.

Talk to us.
People will always fear authority. It's not something you can do something about. If a Police officer comes up to you and asks you something or asks you to stop doing something, even if it's something really harmless, you'll still freeze on the spot and get afraid.

It's the same with GMs. You're authority figures on here and that makes you scary to some. You're basically the only people that can hurt their standing and membership on this community and it makes people become uncertain around you.

I probably could've worded this better, but you get the gist of it. On here, you're stronger than them. They're the puny matrix invaders and you're the Agents. Agents that likes kitties and ice cream, but you can still dodge bullets and punch through walls.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
My daily routine.

-Go to the orphanage to read stories to children.

-Go to the pound to make sure every single puppy has been fed that day.

-Go to the homeless shelter to give all the people blankets and warm clothes.

-Return to my secret laboratory to discover the end of world hunger.

-Sleep and repeat.

-When Christmas comes, I go to the north pole to help santa.

See, I'm not that scary.

Now please.

[Image: imagesizer?file=kavita-varma-white4C3C71...&width=600]

Tell me everything, little player
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(10-26-2012, 06:30 AM)Xigo Wrote: My daily routine.

-Go to the orphanage to read stories to children.

-Go to the pound to make sure every single puppy has been fed that day.

-Go to the homeless shelter to give all the people blankets and warm clothes.

-Return to my secret laboratory to discover the end of world hunger.

-Sleep and repeat.

-When Christmas comes, I go to the north pole to help santa.

See, I'm not that scary.

Now please.

[Image: imagesizer?file=kavita-varma-white4C3C71...&width=600]

Tell me everything, little player

-The stories are the Twilight books. Childhood ruined.

-The puppies are ferret puppies. Ferrets are -evil.-

-The blankets and clothes have lice on them.

-His solution thus far is destroying humanity. Hunger solved.

-He sleeps on a bed made of non ecologic wood.

-He helps Santa by whipping his elves into submissions.

I'm watching you 24/7, buddy. You can't keep your secrets from me.
Spoiler:
There's few GMs I've thought have changed with the green tag, Lox; you ain't one of em'. You've always been there in the midst of role-play, active in the community, etc. In truth? I've always found you about as scary as a teddy bear. That ain't a bad thing, either. It shows that you're easy to talk to, aren't overbearing. It's a relief that people like that still exist, Lox.

My two coppers.
[Image: 54079-Dr-Evil-air-quotes-lasers-gif-A6nY.gif]
(10-26-2012, 07:02 AM)Vladdy Wrote: There's few GMs I've thought have changed with the green tag, Lox; you ain't one of em'. You've always been there in the midst of role-play, active in the community, etc. In truth? I've always found you about as scary as a teddy bear. That ain't a bad thing, either. It shows that you're easy to talk to, aren't overbearing. It's a relief that people like that still exist, Lox.

My two coppers.

I agree with this.

Although after my first two or so months here, I stopped being afraid of GMs altogether. All you really need to realize is that all GMs accepted the position to help the community, not to start their rise to dictatorship. The obvious exception being Xigo, of course. No, I jest. But not really.
Spoiler:
I still have lingering amazement I got through with a techno-priest. Server can't be that strict if I can play that.

I also agree that new people and some of the "older" amongst us will always be afraid, or mistrusting of GMs or whatever. The solution might be, rather than more and more pleading from GMs and assurances, that players assure each other. Since we're all on the same level.

No big initiative, no crowded Meet and Greet (not that we should stop doing those). Just a buddy saying, "Hey, come on. I talked to this Greenie before. They won't run you over."
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Its honestly give an take therearethings I. Did with gms back in the day that new gms make a big deal about now. Also there is a gm or two who looses their cool and insults players, comes off short. And rude uninterested and sarcstic at times against people I'm surprised he/she is still on the team. Instead of saying no help us achieve want we want and don't let it leak onto the forums you have memes about newer players in private gm forums. I'm not intimidated by any one of you and a few members on the staff you included ms. Box I love. But for the most part I try not to interact with you all unless neccesary or we are in mutual rp. I disagree with the new special profile rule I disagree with some of the reasons for neglected ideas but I think it will be inevitible to be uneasy around authority. More when I get off work.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: Its honestly give an take therearethings I. Did with gms back in the day that new gms make a big deal about now. Also there is a gm or two who looses their cool and insults players, comes off short. And rude uninterested and sarcstic at times against people I'm surprised he/she is still on the team.

Why not report it to Kretol or a higher GM if that occurs? All GMs are humans, and sometimes we all lose our cool. Being a GM isn't a paid job (afaik), so we can't expect them to be perfectly unemotional robots - they're also players.

That said, GMs should be held accountable above that of regular players, since they've got more ability to harm (or help) the server community than everyone else.

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: Instead of saying no help us achieve want we want...

Some ideas just aren't workable in WOW lore, some ideas are just bad, and some ideas would unbalance the server - sometimes they have to say no.

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: ...and don't let it leak onto the forums you have memes about newer players in private gm forums.

Yeah, this is going to go over well. Again, the GMs are players too, and sometimes we've all got to let off some steam.

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: I disagree with the new special profile rule I disagree with some of the reasons for neglected ideas but I think it will be inevitible to be uneasy around authority. More when I get off work.

Why do you disagree with the new special profile rule? It greases the wheels of discussion, frees up Kretol, allows you to run ideas by the GMs and be responded to faster, before wasting your time on an unworkable idea.
Cayce Northend - Druid of the Cenarion Circle
Micheru Bloodrune - Moonglade Ranger / Vagabond
Gratua Daggermouth - Walking the path of Lo'gosh
Medrit Brightwind - Wandering Swordsmaster
When I was newer, the GM team was intimidating. Mostly because of the stigma of people being intimidated by GMs - it's a commonly known fact that the human psyche tend to follow the hivemind, whether subconsciously or not. There are also other reasons that I won't go into because I have no bat with which to beat the horse.

Though, now I've actually spoken to them, there's really no difference between them and a Peon or Grunt. I've internet-buddied up with a bunch of them to varying degrees, and I think that the stigma is just the one Roxas described, really. There's no getting away from the looming threat of the banhammer, despite the fact it may or may not be nonexistent.

My suggestion? Patience. When people get to know you as people, not colours, they won't feel the same way. There's never a surefire way to assure people will feel X or Y about you. Though, there are a few I haven't spoken to, and they're the ones that I'm most wary of. I sense a pattern!

EDIT: Wait, what happened? Was it on the forums?
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
Hrm.. I feel called to post in this thread for I've raised the "GM's are scary!" issue a few times over several threads in the past. Admittedly, I've come more at peace with myself since my last real activity on here, and I've lost a lot of worries in the meanwhile. Perhaps I stopped caring, perhaps I just gained more confidence to go and say "Yeah, I'm doing it this way and if it's wrong I'll be notified." instead of "Oh no, I can't do that. If it's wrong, they'll go LOLBANNED on me."

I think a part of the fear comes from not knowing how some people are doing. A lack of insight, in their status so to write. I'm honestly not sure how things are being dealt with there, so I'll just ask;

If people cross the line, or near that line. Are they warned in advance before a ban? If not, sending out a "Hey dawg, you might want to cool off a little. Take a break, reconsider a bit of attitude or re-read some posts." message could aid with taking that fear away. Then people 'saw it coming' so to write.

I'm just thinking out loud, as far as I know that's not being done and the person is simply banned at a point with a reason.

I'll leave it at this till I can think up of some more. Hakuna Matata.

Edit; On that note, I don't got a clue what happened last night so no idea if this relates at all.
There is intimidation that comes with authority.
There is fear in having our ideas rejected.
Yet there is joy when our ideas are given the go ahead.

More times than not, our fear and intimidation override our desire to have that acceptance from the GMs. So what do we do? We duck our heads down, try not to poke what we think to be a beehive full of Africanized bees just waiting to sting us to death. I'll speak of my own experiences first.

I know you guys aren't scary, evil beings just looking for reasons to shoot us down. You GMs are people too. With different views, different lives, and different ways of expression. Me? I can be rather blunt. Crude. I've done things, said things, and acted in ways that make it feel as though I've pretty much been a real butt. Because of this, I fear my image has been pretty shaken up. I think that if I were to approach something, it wouldn't come of as professional, but as a childish little kid that keeps knocking over vases going to parents to say "I didn't do it. Now give me some candy." I'm sure I've broken the trust of quite a few in the staff. I went in over my head when I was still trying to learn to use my staff legs. Because of my fear and insecurities about what I did, I'm more afraid to approach people.

That's how I am. I act stupid, realize I was stupid, then wallow in my regret. But I learn from those mistakes in time. I'm slowly trying to reach back out to try and mend what needs to be mended... If there's even anything to be mended.

I can't speak much for those I've spoken to on this very matter. The common occurrence I see when talking to peons, grunts, and sometimes other FHs is that the rules are more than likely out of date for this generation of CotH. The GMs have expressed they weren't who they were before countless times. Perhaps the playerbase has changed also since the day the rules we have were established. The rules can be unclear and seemingly pointless at times.

"They're stifling my creativity."
"It's illogical that..."
"They're just going to say no because..."

If I could offer anything.

Perhaps we should come together as a community. We should go rule by rule, offer our views on it (in a civilized manner), open rules for discussion, and possibly amend our rules. We can clarify, tweak, and refine our rules. The fear of being banned over unclear rules should be eliminated.... Or at least alleviated. Now I don't want to add to GM work load, and this shouldn't be done only by GMs. This should be done by peons, grunts, FHs, GMs, and even our almighty Kretol. We are a community after all, and shouldn't shove such issues to the staff to work on or keep it amongst ourselves until we hit critical mass like last night.

There is no one real fix, though. Something like this can have no one fix. The GMs try to open up, but those of us below chose not to open up for our own reasons. All we can do is try our best still and figure a way to advance our community together.

Do I like where we are? It could be better.
Did I like to see what happened last night? Nah. Not at all.
What I do want is to see us all improve. Together. Fear aside.
Not as players to staff, or staff to players, but as people.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Spoiler:
[Image: rage-wtf.jpg]

Oh look, a rage face that accurately describes my EXACT look when I hear things like this.

People think CoTH is restricting? Really, which part? The part where you get items for free at any level? Or is it the part where the GM's actively put a time slot IN GAME to listen to people gripe about their problems?

Oh, I know. It must be how when ever something is discussed, a GM encourages people to speak their minds while remaining civil. Or how people get away with a lot more than they would have on the past. Or is it all the events people try to run? Is it the special profiles?

The list goes on. Every time someone complains like this I hear a child, crying because they can't get their way. If this sounds mean, it's because I'm so sick of hearing people b***h about how CoTH is because this place -as it is right now- when it comes to how players are treated is like being bombarded with marshmallows.

Edit: This is my reaction to this thread as a whole. Just me sort MIND BOGGLED that Loxxy had to make this.

Edit2: Grr, word censor! For how little I use that word a bit of leeway would have been nice!

Edit3: Another thing. Imagine me as a GM. That happened, and I was one for years. I'm not that nice of a GM. I did cool things, sure, but I also had low tolerance for -shit-. Which a lot of the GM's get handed to them now by people.

OH. And here's the TL;DR

[Image: world-platter-serve-sun.jpg]
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Before I begin I'd like to say I was typing on my cell phone at work and couldn't elaborate. IF things came off short then I can explain.

(10-26-2012, 08:44 AM)Micheru Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: Its honestly give an take therearethings I. Did with gms back in the day that new gms make a big deal about now. Also there is a gm or two who looses their cool and insults players, comes off short. And rude uninterested and sarcstic at times against people I'm surprised he/she is still on the team.

Why not report it to Kretol or a higher GM if that occurs? All GMs are humans, and sometimes we all lose our cool. Being a GM isn't a paid job (afaik), so we can't expect them to be perfectly unemotional robots - they're also players.

Others have, perhaps I should. I see nothing will be done and I'm not trying to get anyone to step down. Just answering the question. Why do people not want to bother with GMs? Well some can be rude, short or have smart ass unnecessary comments. Now I agree and have said this many times. GM isn't a paid job and yes we know they're human and players. However when they decided to take on that responsibility, they should know how to conduct themselves. If you have an issue with the job stop. Many GM's have stepped down because of the stress, and frustration. There's no need for a GM of all people to disrespect others when thats the #1 rule they always preach about. Yes we're all players but responsibility is crucial.

That said, GMs should be held accountable above that of regular players, since they've got more ability to harm (or help) the server community than everyone else.

^

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: Instead of saying no help us achieve want we want...

Some ideas just aren't workable in WOW lore, some ideas are just bad, and some ideas would unbalance the server - sometimes they have to say no.

I'm not speaking about Blind samurais, spaceships, or massive armies. I'm talking heists, robberies, killing sprees, conquest. If we can't do it help us out. Instead of saying no. Say "Well instead you could do this" or work an idea out so that it fits. I went back an forth with Rigley for an idea I had on my new Novalight storyline and there were things I couldn't do. But he worked with me to get the concept passed and I got to enjoy my fun. Often times more than not a GM will just say no dice, because of this reason. Leaving the player dejected and feeling as if they can't do anything.

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: ...and don't let it leak onto the forums you have memes about newer players in private gm forums.

Yeah, this is going to go over well. Again, the GMs are players too, and sometimes we've all got to let off some steam.

No. This I disagree with. There's no reason for people to talk crap about another person when we're here RP. This is another possible reason people would refrain from interaction. When I saw the post that revealed this information I was surprised that anyone would say that. If you guys want to talk about us behind our backs, keep it to yourself. Even though you shouldn't do it. Instead of laughing at a nub help them out.

(10-26-2012, 08:30 AM)ThePharaoh Wrote: I disagree with the new special profile rule I disagree with some of the reasons for neglected ideas but I think it will be inevitible to be uneasy around authority. More when I get off work.

Why do you disagree with the new special profile rule? It greases the wheels of discussion, frees up Kretol, allows you to run ideas by the GMs and be responded to faster, before wasting your time on an unworkable idea.
[/quote]

I disagree because it already takes 3 months to get Demon Hunters, Felsworn and Dragonsworn. There's not really a reason it should take that long. It isn't that serious. We're just here to RP. If you want a limited number just open and close their availability. This would cut down on the multitude of applications I'm sure you all receive on people trying to work with this. I will be upset if we have to wait months just for a simple noble, magister or any such title that really gives little influence of the RP besides social standing. The three -real- special profiles deserve attention but several months seems a bit much. Also variants technically are a special profile but those are sent through regular profiles. I honestly don't see why nobles, magisters and the like are any different.

And I agree with Rensin that we do have a lot that we're allowed to do with playable game factions, addrp and things like that. But not all players are aware how far they can take a storyline, or how to go about getting the chains moving. And with Gm's shutting down ideas, but running large scale events of their own and helping a select few do theirs to others this can be misconstrued and can make people feel discouraged. I was friends with almost every GM at one point in time a long while ago and It showed. Ports, summons, help for events, feedback you name it. Now in actuality no rules were broken and it was just one friend helping another. But people looked at me and accused me of being favorited. This is also inevitable due to GM's being people and having friends. But these actions easily get misinterpreted.

I'm just speaking from my perspective and those who have confided in me, in order to help answer the question. Not hostile, angry or even bothered. Just trying to put information out there for Loxy to sift through.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
We're caught in the endless dance of trying to please everyone.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lox Laments: Moderating Loxmardin 4 1,538 10-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Jonoth
  [Loxmardin]'s Weekly Updates Loxmardin 3 1,645 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Lox Laments: Player Reports Loxmardin 34 6,252 09-16-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Loxmardin Ponders: The Immortal Races and Immortality Loxmardin 17 4,022 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Xigo