The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Ark vs. Trinity
So for the Cataclysm server, Kretol is hesitant to stick with Ark due to certain problems with the core. On the other hand, going to Trinity yields other problems that can be just as bad. To highlight our decision here, I'm going to provide a quick list of pros and cons for both servers:

- Ark Core -

Pro:
1. Client is easier to acquire, especially for Mac users.
2. Worgen work, both Two Forms and Running Wild.
3. Runs smoothly.
4. Most of the major, visible problems are with the database and how it's populated, meaning things that we can conceivably fix.

Con:
1. A mess "under the hood." The way database updates are done, as well as the coding, is a nightmare.
2. Freezing animations glitch. Some people, though not everyone, have noticed a bug that freezes the legs for certain animations and prevents sitting. This can be fixed through trying to sit down and doing another emote or relogging, but is nonetheless annoying.
3. Lots of odd spawns, including noises and NPC chat text. Lots of Engrish, and though a lot of it has been fixed, some may have slipped through the cracks.
4. Some incorrect icons (for example, Running Wild and Wrath have the wrong icons.)
5. Kretol really wants to go to Trinity when it's caught up, which means if we go with Ark to begin, we'll be doing another core switch later.

- Trinity Core -

Pro:
1. Better "under the hood" support. Updates are done cleaner and the code work is neater.
2. Better spawns in terms of the world population.
3. Items from the last Cataclysm update, rather than the beginning of Cata.
4. Icons have been updated correctly.
5. Starting with Trinity would mean not having to switch over later.

Con:
1. Still some animation bugs, particularly continuous emotes never ending until you do another emote (and thus persisting even if you run.)
2. Spawns, while better, completely lack movement and wandering. Gives the area an uncanny "ghost town" feel.
3. Two Forms doesn't work at all for Worgen. Worgen form can be jury-rigged to be gained from Running Wild, which doesn't work for movement or the animation. And turns you back human if you ever dismount. In other words, Worgen are a mess.
4. Strange jerkiness and lag. This causes other players to seem like they're teleporting or rubber-banding around as they move.
5. Client is harder to gain, especially for Mac users.
6. Some areas simply were never gotten to, meaning they are completely empty (such as Desolace.)

---

Might add more to the post later when it comes to mind.

So, Kretol last said we're going with Ark and then moving to Trinity later. But, he's rather hesitant and is having second thoughts. I think it'd be interesting to see others comment and offer their opinions.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
I'm curious about the empty areas on the trinity core, are they inaccessible holes in the server or just devoid of spawns? The latter would actually suit RP services rather well.
By empty, I mean they're completely devoid of spawns.
I would...really like it if we went to ARK first to give the mac users time to find a working solution for them. I know the solution I told Krilari about is still working for him, but it does not always work for me, giving it a 50% success rate. I also know that Mac users aren't even half of a percent of the servers population. I don't want to be overlooked, but understandable if we are.
I'd say Trinity.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

Ark, definitely. We don't need all of cata yet, and I'd like to keep our mac users. We can update later, and it doesn't really matter if we do a core switch.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I would like to know, which would be easier to make changes/fix bugs? I don't really understand databases and technological mumbo-jumbo.
From all I've just read, I have to say I'd prefer to start with Ark untill TrinityCore's managed to catch up. I'm sure TrinityCore will be great once it's working but, at the moment, it seems like we're better off with another core anyway untill TC's been worked on some more. As Xigo said, a core switch doesn't really matter that much (in my opinion anyway).
It's like choosing between ebola and the plague, if I'm honest... I couldn't say if one is better than the other, quite frankly they both sound like an absolute nightmare...
They're actually not -that- bad, to be honest.

I do say Ark is best for now. Core changes will put work on staff the most, after all; and given time with the core we can prepare everything for a relatively seamless switch as far as spawns, custom items, etc. goes.

For me the most important thing is that the server is accessible first and foremost; if Mac is having issues, I think we should compromise where available so they're not forced off. That combined with lag issues on trinity means (in my mind) that we should take Ark for now and wait until the trinity core is more hospitable to everyone.
(01-07-2013, 07:31 PM)alpharius Wrote: It's like choosing between ebola and the plague, if I'm honest... I couldn't say if one is better than the other, quite frankly they both sound like an absolute nightmare...

Let's try to be a little more positive. There are some annoying bugs (the Worgen silliness and jerkiness in Trinity, the freezing animations glitch in Ark) but these things aren't too terrible and can be ignored or gotten used to.
I say Arc if Worgen are unplayable in Trinity. It sounds like Paragon uses the Arc core, and I got used to its bugs, though. Sounds like the biggest drawback for Arc is on the developer end.
(01-07-2013, 07:43 PM)Scow2 Wrote: I say Arc if Worgen are unplayable in Trinity.

They're playable, it's just awkward.

Basically, Two Forms, the ability that turns you from human to worgen and back, doesn't work. Instead, Running Wild does what Two Forms is supposed to do, only that you are a worgen only as long as you have the buff. Running Wild doesn't do the usual run on all fours thing. What this means in practical terms is that Worgen won't have Running Wild in Trinity, and will have to re-activate the ability every time they dismount from a horse if they are trying to stay in worgen form.
(01-07-2013, 07:43 PM)Scow2 Wrote: I say Arc if Worgen are unplayable in Trinity.

If there's a chance they will eventually be playable in Trinity, I say we go for that first so we don't have to do another core move. I don't think it'll kill anyone to not have worgen for a while.
One means another full character delete since a switch is likely, the other means glitches abound and being a nightmare. (and frankly watching people with laggy connections teleport around is bad enough. Everyone doing it?)

The Ark frozen leg syndrome is fixed by typing in /s, by the way.