The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

[Suggestion] Profile Anonymity
This is a topic I’ve pondered over silently for quite some time, and I’m now interested in finding out what CotH thinks.

There’s no option for roleplayers who prefer to remain anonymous among their fellow players. There are several ways to list and display your characters for the purpose of clarity – many people already make use of their signatures and a polite spoiler tag to do so – but conversely, there’s no way to disguise your identity if you wish to profile a character. Even if you forgo writing a profile for your secrecy, Account Management (*) may still betray you if you’re unfortunate enough to live in an obscure part of the world. Flags. Simply being online gives your game away.

[Image: uk.png]

Sometimes, folks want to roleplay without being known. There’s no intention to deceive or be underhanded, it’s just that they prefer to let the roleplay focus on their characters rather than the person behind them.

I know there are several for whom the open nature of writing a profile is a deal breaker. Some have even taken to using nom de plumes. Such is their prerogative, I feel.

Tied to this issue, there have always been concerns quietly murmured regarding the copious quantity of unprofiled characters that are actively roleplaying. It may be that people, especially our newbies, would feel more confident about writing a profile if their names weren’t forcibly attached to early missteps and mistakes. There’s the modesty of the initiated to consider, too. A foray into creativity is easier and more rewarding to undertake in secrecy.

I hesitate to make this point as I don’t think it’s ever arisen as an issue, but if players’ identities were hidden, there could be no accusations of bias on the part of Forum Helpers. Our Game Masters should retain the power to keep omniscient vigil over the forums, of course, which would also allow them the freedom to ensure that everyone is honouring the one-profile-at-a-time rule and all other affairs are in order.

What are profiles for, first of all? Profiles are required for gruntship, a bump to 80 (soon 85), and they’re essential for ensuring that you know the lore the character you’re playing is based on. It also helps the powers that be assess whether or not the concept is something the administration is happy seeing on the server. They should continue to be displayed on the Wiki and publicly assessed so that all players are freely able to refer to them and be warned of what the process calls for. They are handy for keeping CotH as cohesive an environment as it can be, and having them on the forums makes them central to the server, as they should be. They aid people in learning the lore and developing as writers. Lastly, they’re fun to make.

I am wondering if the ‘Player:’ field in a profile is completely necessary, though. If you want to, you’re free to reveal your identity, but what if you don’t want to? Do we (as players) have the right to know a fellow roleplayer’s forum identity if they don’t freely volunteer the information themselves? The funny thing about facts is that once you know one, you can’t ever un-know it. You might forget, since not all of us are blessed with eidetic memories, but the information remains with you thereafter.

Aye, even if we made the process private, one might still be able to guess the characters of their friends, but at least the person in question is at liberty to deny it and cozy up with Schrödinger's cat. Since GMs can find out who you are using more esoteric means, this will not hinder their ability to moderate and uphold the rules in the least.

I’m not certain how privacy measures could be implemented, mechanically. It would be tricky to hide a user’s details whilst allowing them to post a thread, make edits to it, and ensure the whole thing remains visible to the public. I know it’s possible, but I don’t know if such a module exists and could be adapted to purpose. There are a lot of variables in our unique situation. Like…

Should everyone who posts in the thread be subject to anonymity? Should FHs have the right to anonymous criticism, allowing them to speak with a single voice? Should GMs? How do you differentiate between a player’s criticism and a FH’s criticism if all names are veiled? Should membergroup colour remain visible while names/likes/date joined/etc. are starred out, à la the input of a password?

Hmm.

There might be problems I’ve not thought of. It might be that no one is interested in remaining anonymous, or that the demand doesn’t justify the workload and the overhaul it would take to supply it. With Cataclysm on the horizon, and the grand task that getting it ready for us promises to be, this miniscule issue may simply pale in comparison.

I have little right to ask yet more when so much has been given already, but I would dearly appreciate this option.

Thoughts?
What if the anonymous profiled character has wicked abilities that some might call unrealistic for the World of Warcraft world (Saying that the GMs might approve on an agreement)? They wouldn't be able to check to see if it is approved! They would have to check with the GMs which would be a big hassle for the staff.

Just my two coppers.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

I think you may have misunderstood me.

Although I can't cough up a technical method, I envision the process of profiling the character remaining the same - the profile and all the abilities would still be checked by FHs and then wikified - only the player's forum identity would not be made public.
I've thought about this a long time ago. In response to the OP (and Bingles), maybe the way it could be done is via the combo of private forums/wiki. The wiki solves Bingle's issue as people can check there to see if a character is approved or not, because all final characters have to go there. And the player names may not have to be listed there depending on the team's stance on that. For Delta's query, perhaps the character profile forum can work like private discussion, with the Forum Helpers and GMs as mods. Workshop can remain open so people can get player feedback if they wish. And even if the main profile forum isn't private, a private subforum for anonymous chars could probably be done.
(01-23-2013, 04:07 PM)Delta Wrote: How do you differentiate between a player’s criticism and a FH’s criticism if all names are veiled?

You really can't, if you want the process to be anonymous.

I can't imagine this being done at all, from a technical perspective, and I've never encountered a forum with such a system. I also have no idea why that amount of anonymity is necessary, especially from the FH's side.

And when it comes to anonymity in game, the GMs need to be able to know who is playing the character because, let's face it, give everyone the ability to be anonymous, some people will abuse it. I'm sure you have that in mind, though.

Just my opinion, but profiled characters should still require the player's name because it's helpful for reference. More specifically, being able to know the player behind the character you're RPing with in case something happens (such as a server crash, DC, power outage, etc.). That way you can PM them about it. It's also hard to organize something like a storyline when you want to keep yourself anonymous. Practicality, I guess.

But I have to agree with Jonoth: a private subforum, for anonymous character profile submission (for whatever reason) might be the best bet.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
GMs have the ability to identify to identify players in game, which is where anything I think you're worried about Ghurm, would be taking place. On the other hand though, and I know some people may not like the sound of it but I'll say it anyway. Some people aren't all too experienced with RP, even a handful of Grunts that get through the system. There's a reason certain ideas and character concepts are turned down, and that's because sometimes a player just might not be able to handle it yet. Anonymity would throw a bit of a wrench in that system. If gms can see who the player is regardless, I don't see why the name wouldn't be available to GMs on the forums as well.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Anonymity is a very dangerous thing to play with. That's all I can really say.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
But how will I avoid RPing with people if I don't know who I'm avoiding? D:

In all seriousness, I just don't profile characters if I don'twant people to know I play it. No real need for them to be profiled, to be honest.
On top of that, if you don't want the flag to show where you really are, use a TOR or LOIC. Should show your ip as somewhere else.
Sides, they already disabled that one handy search function for finding players, might as well go for the extra. step. At least, make the player bit optional. I know a couple profiles don't have them. At least, some of the older ones.
It's pretty easy to have anonymous characters here. Just, you won't get that level 80 doing so. Don't tell people who you are and don't post profiles. Otherwise I don't see a reason for this, unless you mean from the GMs, which would be rather... silly. GMs need to know who people are.

As for forum helpers, I get uneasy every time someone brings up that being anonymous could "protect" them, as if there's some agenda out to get people we don't like---whether as a forum helper or a GM. Fact of the matter is, if a profile is lacking, no matter who it is, it's going to be treated fairly. Same with if it's a good one. We don't sit there and say "such and such doesn't need an approved character! MWAHAHAHA."
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Honestly, there's a great deal of anonymity, simply in arithmetic. There are a good number of people on CotH, so unless someone is actively trying to figure out what characters someone plays, I think a lot of people don't know right off the bat who plays whom.

As other people have said - if you want to retain that total anonymity from everyone besides the GM staff, just don't profile the character.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
I believe in both actually. There are people on here who have a hard time finding rp due to their forum name. I've seen people who don't like being known because of the fact that people will look up their character, see the name, and then exclude them. Some people may have built a darker past that could haunt their future. Could provide a way for those people to get back into rp without having to fear people ignoring them.
I'll respond to points not covered already in the original post.

Quote:Just my opinion, but profiled characters should still require the player's name because it's helpful for reference. More specifically, being able to know the player behind the character you're RPing with in case something happens (such as a server crash, DC, power outage, etc.). That way you can PM them about it. It's also hard to organize something like a storyline when you want to keep yourself anonymous. Practicality, I guess.

But I have to agree with Jonoth: a private subforum, for anonymous character profile submission (for whatever reason) might be the best bet.

I'm operating by the assumption that if you're involved in a storyline of any considerable depth with someone, that person is probably already privy to your identity. Even if that's not the case, perhaps it is not the case for a reason. It may be that you have no desire to receive such a PM, however well-meant the intentions in sending it may be.

Due to the technical improbability of what I suggested, I'd fully support a private forum compromise for those who desire it. The only trouble with that answer is that it stands contrary to the transparency in profiling that CotH prefers to keep.

Quote:On top of that, if you don't want the flag to show where you really are, use a TOR or LOIC. Should show your ip as somewhere else.

I don't know if using proxies would really be considered kosher since they can be used to circumvent bans. That might just be a step too far!

Quote:It's pretty easy to have anonymous characters here. Just, you won't get that level 80 doing so. Don't tell people who you are and don't post profiles. Otherwise I don't see a reason for this, unless you mean from the GMs, which would be rather... silly. GMs need to know who people are.

As for forum helpers, I get uneasy every time someone brings up that being anonymous could "protect" them, as if there's some agenda out to get people we don't like---whether as a forum helper or a GM. Fact of the matter is, if a profile is lacking, no matter who it is, it's going to be treated fairly. Same with if it's a good one. We don't sit there and say "such and such doesn't need an approved character! MWAHAHAHA."

It's not difficult to conceal yourself at present, but it would be nice if you could legitimise your characters anonymously. That's the gist of the suggestion.

On the second point, well, that is why I hesitated to raise it. I would know. I don't believe anyone here is entertaining conspiracy theories or fears purple wrath.
I am here just to agree with Delta. She pretty nailed it.. and by that I mean that she nailed it REALLY well. I can barely say anything besides what has been said in there, that for I won't say anything else. I express my hope that this idea will be implemented.
[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]
I don't support the idea because I think the uttermost key to successfully keep and run a community is open and honest communication. I do realize where the idea stems from but I don't think it is just big enough a issue to implement such dratstic measures.

You mention one thing, where does the anonomity end? I think for each level of secrecy things will get more complicated and more prone to drama. In the end we would only shuffle more power and responsebility on the GM team which I think in the end is something we want to strive away from.

And I'm not sure if I agree that we should take away players rights to chose not to RP with someone they do not like. Not everyone can act like a grown up, be diplomatic and understanding, that's why there's a GM team that can step in and be fair, realistic and objective.

Lastly I think that the main reason so many charaters remain unprofile comes down to the fact that people want to RP that which strays away from Warcraft lore and server policy. Just this last week I've seen a second generation death knight of an unfitting race, a low class character that suddenly becomes a high positioned memeber of an in-game faction and a non-human afflicted by the worgen curse. Before I actually bothered giving GMs a heads up but I don't have the energy to do it anymore unless the issues are painfully obvious.

Bottomline is that our standards -will- thin the herd of avaliable and fitting players and I think we sometimes forget that. To prevent this people need to be more helpful and less condescending (as much as they can).

Camel out!
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
I'm not going to write ten paragraphs about my opinion here because i'm lazy.

I agree.

Why? Well, because all the reasons stated in Delta's original post, and because sometimes I want to RP in peace without people I know messaging me because they figured out it was one of my characters.

Pretty much my thoughts. I approve.
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom Location Suggestion Andy7565 2 1,124 08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Kimaira
Photo Wiki page suggestion Andy7565 4 1,157 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Memnoch
  Suggestion for a new place to build. FlyingSquirrel 2 853 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  [Suggestion] Forum Portfolios Traid 8 1,560 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Suggestion for Warlocks, regarding minions. Ebenezer 6 1,245 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Ebenezer