The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Earthworks
[Image: halloweenjackwhereyouat.png]

The Horde is in a crisis of wisdom. Our young look up to warlords as our crops fail, our weapons break and we cower from the elements. There are minds that have the potential for greatness, and I intend to find them and temper them.

PURPOSE

To find those with knowledge and prowess and give them the power to support the Horde.
To take in those with ambition, but without prowess, and give them the tools to become greater.
To preserve the ideas, artisanry and history of the Horde for future generations.
To take these things and apply them practically, for the benefit of the Horde.

MEANS

As The Earthworks are still being repaired following the Cataclysm, Zeth'ugram has substituted his home, and it will function as the headquarters until the repairs are finished. (OOCly in the Valley of Strength, ICly within an unnamed valley of Orgrimmar)
Any core member of the Horde - Orcs, Trolls and Tauren - who either has a useful skill or wishes to develop one is invited to the Earthworks.
              Those of more unpopular/reviled stations, such as mages, warlocks and death knights, are still accepted conditionally.

Blood Elves, Bilgewater Goblins and Forsaken, while not explicitly barred, will be stringently tested for loyalty before being considered.
All members will be expected to be active in one of three ways:
              Helping the Horde directly through assignments tailored to their skills.
              Running lessons and supporting other members of the Earthworks/Horde.
              Providing equipment for the group.

Unexplained absences longer than a week will result in varying degrees of punishment, depending on Zeth'ugram's mood.

The Earthworks exists independently of clan and racial lines - while no specific culture will be forced on its members, Zeth'ugram and the council have the final say in the direction of the group and the duties of its members.
While arguing is healthy, brawling will not be tolerated.
While some may gain respect, all members of the Earthworks, excluding the council of elders, are equal and shall not impose their will on others.

Bumping - I'm going to begin taking names (that's right, I see you there) for new members!
I have an orc which may show interest in this.. However, I'd like to see some RP before anything. Joining something that is just on paper (my apologize if it's not) would be foolish. I will full-heartedly join a RP session to see what it is all about and perhaps join in. One questions tho.. What does the Earthwork actually do? Perhaps it is my fault and I did not comprehend enough.. Or perhaps you are too vague in the guild post. Are they an paramilitary organization? Or is this more along the lines of a clan but accepting other races besides Orcs? Just.. I can't really tell without that 'OOC part' which says exactly what the guild is about. :-s
(02-19-2014, 12:07 AM)Sorum Wrote: I have an orc which may show interest in this.. However, I'd like to see some RP before anything. Joining something that is just on paper (my apologize if it's not) would be foolish. I will full-heartedly join a RP session to see what it is all about and perhaps join in. One questions tho.. What does the Earthwork actually do? Perhaps it is my fault and I did not comprehend enough.. Or perhaps you are too vague in the guild post. Are they an paramilitary organization? Or is this more along the lines of a clan but accepting other races besides Orcs? Just.. I can't really tell without that 'OOC part' which says exactly what the guild is about. :-s

TL;DR - Science, Horde style, but with more 'helping the community' tones than a straight research organisation. And with 90% more orcs.

Example: Grublin is good at alchemy. As a member of the Earthworks, his talents could be put to use by figuring out a new anti-rust solution, a poison for those pesky treants, or a salve for any of the twelve million weird diseases. He'd also be able to show how much he knows ICly by running lessons for other members, as well as anybody who'd like to show up. Same goes for pretty much every doctrine that isn't about smashing things - shamanism, engineering, druidism, blacksmithing, tailoring, cooking, even stuff like warlockery.

I intend for events and assignments to cater to each players' abilities, so you'd have stuff like historians going out to dig ancient ruins, letting blacksmiths go crazy with new weapon designs and, when the guild's grown, larger events with many more people.
(02-19-2014, 01:02 AM)Maulbane Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 12:07 AM)Sorum Wrote: I have an orc which may show interest in this.. However, I'd like to see some RP before anything. Joining something that is just on paper (my apologize if it's not) would be foolish. I will full-heartedly join a RP session to see what it is all about and perhaps join in. One questions tho.. What does the Earthwork actually do? Perhaps it is my fault and I did not comprehend enough.. Or perhaps you are too vague in the guild post. Are they an paramilitary organization? Or is this more along the lines of a clan but accepting other races besides Orcs? Just.. I can't really tell without that 'OOC part' which says exactly what the guild is about. :-s

TL;DR - Science, Horde style, but with more 'helping the community' tones than a straight research organisation. And with 90% more orcs.

Example: Grublin is good at alchemy. As a member of the Earthworks, his talents could be put to use by figuring out a new anti-rust solution, a poison for those pesky treants, or a salve for any of the twelve million weird diseases. He'd also be able to show how much he knows ICly by running lessons for other members, as well as anybody who'd like to show up. Same goes for pretty much every doctrine that isn't about smashing things - shamanism, engineering, druidism, blacksmithing, tailoring, cooking, even stuff like warlockery.

I intend for events and assignments to cater to each players' abilities, so you'd have stuff like historians going out to dig ancient ruins, letting blacksmiths go crazy with new weapon designs and, when the guild's grown, larger events with many more people.

Very interesting! And clearly original. One last thing! What about the combat oriented characters? Such as warriors and the alike. Do they have a place within the guild? In the end.. the Horde is a lot about combat as well.
(02-19-2014, 01:26 AM)Sorum Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 01:02 AM)Maulbane Wrote:

Very interesting! And clearly original. One last thing! What about the combat oriented characters? Such as warriors and the alike. Do they have a place within the guild? In the end.. the Horde is a lot about combat as well.

Not really. If they are, it'd be an ancillary thing to the guild, like a warrior who can metalwork or has a great knowledge of troll culture or something. The point of the guild is to spread and apply knowledge - as Zeth'ugram (the guy in the quote above), my old elder, thinks that orcs have become obsessed with nothing but physical strength (as opposed to mental strength). Warriors may have some utility, but it'd be rare elements like the occasional assignment that goes wrong.

Also, those who are only combat-oriented but -want- to learn a trade are also welcome, but they have to actually learn.

That's not to say it's a guild of weenies - Zeth'ugram leads orcs in all three wars, and loves to beat people upside the head despite his old age. But yeah, it's not paramilitary, military or combat-oriented at all.
I love this idea. I'd like to set up some RP and see how it goes after deciding which of my characters would be best suited.
Hands together for our first member, Helushka (Edgar)! I was worried we weren't gonna get any tauren!

Also, I've added a little dagger by each member that has a link to their player. It might be a little unintuitive, but I think it looks good!

EDIT: Changed the wording in the OP a little bit, added death knight under 'conditional' classes.

EDIT2: We have gained our first troll, too! Thanks, PhilGobatto!

EDIT3: Another orc - a spiritwalker at that! Muhaha has brightened Zeth'ugram's poor, coal-black heart.

EDIT4: More members! Thanks to both Grakor and Komodo for giving us two sought-after positions - a w- mage and an alchemist!
The event system has been added to the OP! Also, still looking for members! We're suffering a lack of any female members, in particular!
You'll get Orvisha when Uldum's done, I keep sayin'! D:<
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
(02-24-2014, 11:09 PM)c0rzilla Wrote: You'll get Orvisha when Uldum's done, I keep sayin'! D:<

I'll steal her before then, believe me. >:I

... Also, the first official Earthworks event, even if it was a little one, has finished successfully and given the guild its first item! Also, I managed to kidnap Ghaskan's shaman-to-be into our ranks!
A new member - a terrifying witch-mage, of all things - and three new assignments! Will begin adding opportunities soon.

Also, tomorrow will be the first Earthworks lecture! It's likely Zeth will be leading it.
Events have been updated! Two new assignments (for Torok, Surthak; Grazmot respectively) and the three supply run events. The latter will be open to non-Earthworks members and will involve 'rep gains/street cred' in the event that they help out, or join later!
Maul, why you do this? Anyhow, I don't think I'll be able to participate in the Earthworks for some time now. I'm slowing down on my creation of characters, however do expect Ham to be a bit active.
Spoiler:
[Image: 8Mh5ajm.jpg]
A certain someone pointed me this way (@Grakor456). I have an Orc Lumberjack, and it sounds to me like this would fit him like a glove.

... And my axe!, as he said.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earthworks Inventory Dilly 2 1,136 01-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Dilly
  Earthworks Events Maulbane 1 1,175 06-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Earthworks Storytablet Maulbane 2 941 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM
  Earthworks Roster Maulbane 0 702 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM