The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Blood Elves and the Sunwell [Lore question]
I was unsure of where to put this, but just move it in case I posted this in the wrong forum.

So, I've been searching in the available Lore after answers now, and since I can't seem to find them I decided I would ask in the forums.

Basically, my question is: After the restoration of the Sunwell and Lady Liadrins apology to A'dal, what is it that supplies the Blood Knights and the Priests of Quel'thalas with the powers of the Light since M'uru is gone?

I remember someone mentioned this in the Chat on the server a few days ago, but I want to be sure about this before I begin writing certain character profiles.
Basically, the big bad Naru in Shattrath gave them back their powers. Sadly, the Bloodelves now get their power through him, in the form of faith.

They are still full of themselves, just their benedictions carry them now, not a metaphorical rape of the light. If you ask me, it's Blizzard catering to all the Belf fans, basically taking away the one cool thing they had, along with addiction.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

But it is likely that most, if not all, elves still feel part of the addiction, just because they are fed by the Sunwell it doesn't mean that the addiction is gone. Plus the fact that they all turned to feed on Fel magicks during the harsh times, many elves most likely still feel the urge to get a fel-kick, and a majority probably falls for it and goes to the warlocks and the big Fel Crystals that still litter the city.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Since the Sunwell doesn't produce Arcane or Fel magic now, all the Blood Elves are still shafted.
I've taken this from WoWwiki. Hope it helps you out!

Spoiler:
Upon Kil'jaeden's defeat in the Sunwell Plateau, Prophet Velen and Lady Liadrin will enter the room housing the Sunwell, initiating a scripted epilogue.

Enter Prophet Velen.
Prophet Velen says: Mortal heroes, your victory here today was foretold long ago. My brother's anguished cry of defeat will echo across the universe, bringing renewed hope to all those who still stand against the Burning Crusade.
Prophet Velen says: As the Legion's final defeat draws ever-nearer, stand proud in the knowledge that you have saved worlds without number from the flame. Just as this day marks an ending, so too does it herald a new beginning...
Prophet Velen summons a large crystal from the sky. The crystal hovers above the Sunwell.
Prophet Velen says: The creature Entropius, whom you were forced to destroy, was once the noble naaru, M'uru. In life, M'uru channeled vast energies of LIGHT and HOPE. For a time, a misguided few sought to steal those energies...
Enter Lady Liadrin.
Lady Liadrin says: Our arrogance was unpardonable. We damned one of the most noble beings of all. We may never atone for this sin.
Prophet Velen says: Then fortunate it is, that I have reclaimed the noble naaru's spark from where it fell! Where faith dwells, hope is never lost, young blood elf.
Lady Liadrin says: Can it be?
Prophet Velen says: Gaze now, mortals - upon the HEART OF M'URU! Unblemished. Bathed by the light of Creation - just as it was at the Dawn.
The heart of M'uru disintegrates and flows into the Sunwell. The Sunwell reignites in a fount of blinding light.
Prophet Velen says: In time, the light and hope held within - will rebirth more than this mere fount of power... Mayhap, they will rebirth the soul of a nation.
Lady Liadrin says: Blessed ancestors! I feel it... so much love... so much grace... there are... no words... impossible to describe...
Prophet Velen says: Salvation, young one. It waits for us all.
Prophet Velen says: Farewell...

The Blood Elves have been redeemed and they now place their faith in the light and in turn, the light grants them its power.
[Image: Valen-Sig.gif]
Eugh. They are still magic addicted jerks though.

I sure hope they didn't hug after that.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I hope they did.
Ophelia Ebonlocke - Human Vagabond
Katharina Dawnrunner - Sin'dorei Fire Dancer
Maevarian Pawthorn - Repenting Druidess
Ael'iana Silversun - Feminist Blood Knight
Varfolomei Del'runa - Draenei Priestess
Their culture took a major turn with the destruction of the Sunwell, suddenly Fel magic was not only acceptable, but a requirement for them to survive, or so they believed. Demons walk the streets of Silvermoon, a city rebuilt in mere months with the use of that magic, they created large crystals infused with the Fel that were used to empower not only the people (diminishing the effects of the addiction by feeding them the corrupting energies of Fel) but to keep the city functioning.

The extremely corrupting effects of Fel magic combined with their already arrogant views on the world has only twisted them more, xenophobia, fanatic pride in their race and it's accomplishments- imagined or not- gluttony and arrogance has spread and they have turned from the aloof serenity that the High Elves were supposed to stand for and instead embraced a more callous nature to magic and power, perfectly portrayed in how their arcane studies changed focus from the water based spells of the past to the fire and darkness they wield now.

Warlocks are now encouraged to study in open and to share their knowledge as they walk freely on the streets, some take it even further and seeks to take up the mantle of the Blood Magi, further delving in arcane arts that had been forbidden only a few years, the blink of an eyelash for an elf, ago. Magisters oversee the city with the help of their Arcane guardians and magic, monitoring that the people is kept on what they believe is the right path, see these quotes from the Arcane Guardians for an example:
Quote: * Happiness is mandatory, citizen.
* Maintain order within these walls.
* Obey the laws of Silvermoon. Failure to do so will result in termination.
* Remain strong. Kael'thas will -- error -- Lor'themar will lead you to power and glory!
* Do not be disheartened. Silvermoon will remain strong through this course of events.
* Do not disturb the serenity of the city. Peace must be upheld.

It used to simply say that Kael'thas would lead them to power and glory, now we can assume that they call out Rommath's name for leading the elves, but that's of little importance except as a show of repetitive propaganda. What is more important is the use of the word power, a word which has come to dominate elven culture and at large become the goal and purpose of all elves; they want power, power to put the Sin'dorei at the elevated position they deserve, power to crush the enemy and simply as a goal of itself.

Kael'thas was viewed as the savior of the blood elves, he was their messiah risen to lead them to the promised land of endless magic, but then he fell. I don't believe that what caused the elves most hurt and surprise was the fact that the he meddled with the Burning Legion, but rather that he become nothing but another insect in the already massive burrow that is the legion. Simply put; he betrayed the Sin'dorei values, he lowered himself from the position of Sun-King and became a servant to another. And he was supposed to be the most prominent of them, their messiah, for this, I think, they hate the Legion almost as fiercely as they hate the Scourge, but their goal for the Legion doesn't have to start and end with it's destruction. I would not be surprised if the elves turn to enslave the entire legion, they are the masters of magic, the lords of Azeroth- all born of the blood and then baptized in the blood of the fallen.

That last sentence references how the Blood Elves are the descendants of the Highborne nobles that escaped from Kalimdor as well as how they were "baptized" by the Scourge as they slaughtered their way to the Sunwell.

Something I wanted to mention before was what Kaghuros said, when the Sunwell was "reawakaned" it was done through holy energies, the remnants of a Naruu used to reignite it. What does this mean for the Blood Elves? As I see it, not much, instead of stealing the light the Blood knights can harnass it through the Sunwell, although how many of them would care? They had the ability to steal it before, so what if the creature they owned was used to give them the Sunwell back, as long as it served their purposes they are content. A few, a very precious few may have changed their ways, but the only proof we have is that Lady Liadrin, after experiencing the Sunwell's recreation felt the love of the Naruu, and then embraced a wish to redeem herself. But what is one proselyte in a nation of heretics?

I hope this helped you some, although I'm not if it answered your question. If anyone got any questions about this, feel free to ask them here or in a PM!

That helped me, Nostra and I didn't even ask a question! Thanks!
Ophelia Ebonlocke - Human Vagabond
Katharina Dawnrunner - Sin'dorei Fire Dancer
Maevarian Pawthorn - Repenting Druidess
Ael'iana Silversun - Feminist Blood Knight
Varfolomei Del'runa - Draenei Priestess
Regarding the discussion from another thread on bloodthistle addiction...

http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=10570

Appears it's viewed as a weakness, and a rather degrading one at that if you look at the quest text. This idea is further reinforced by the mini-event that occurs when the envoy and his bodyguard encounter the bloodthistle on the road:
Spoiler:
Blood Lord Zarath says: What is it, my lord?
Envoy Icarius says: Zarath you must return to the Black Temple at once! I... I seem to have misplaced Lord Illidan's orders. Quickly!
Blood Lord Zarath says: My lord, surely you do not expect me to leave you unattended. Lord Illidan would have my head if anything were to happen to you.
Envoy Icarius says: Zarath, I am perfectly capable of making it up this road to Eclipse Point. If we do not deliver the missive, Lord Illidan will have both of our heads! You are dismissed!
Blood Lord Zarath says: As you wish, my lord.
Envoy Icarius says: Ah, sweet, sweet bloodthistle... Probably left behind by one of those filthy addicts at Eclipse Point.
Envoy Icarius says: Their loss is most definitely my gain...
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
The envoy doesn't seem to have any trouble with it, nor does the Blood Lord seem to even care for it, if he even realized what it was the envoy really wanted. It could be argued that the enovy didn't want to be "discovered" with the bloodthistle, though I'd wager my guess that he simply wanted it for himself, he does seem like a rather greedy elf from the text there.

The only one that seemed, to me, to have a problem with it the bloodthistle was the Orc, but what does the elves care for what some primitive brute thinks?

Edit: Hah! Nevermind, I managed to scip over the important part of the quest text, hehe. You seem to be right, though it seems odd they would look down on it when they have all those bongs around their homes, what other weed would they be smoking?

Toe-back-ie? I mean, I don't see any bongs, myself, just hookahs and you use a hookah to, well, smoke tobacco or other herbs.

Edit: I realized what I just wrote. Ignore me.
"The only difference between me and a homeless man is my job. I will do whatever it takes to survive...like I did when I was homeless."
Nostra Wrote:You seem to be right, though it seems odd they would look down on it when they have all those bongs around their homes, what other weed would they be smoking?

I thought that was interesting as well. What's curious, however, is that the hookahs appear in Draenei buildings as well. While I'm not sure about the Exodar, I'm quite sure I spotted one in a Draenei inn before.

A troll has one as well. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30468
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Nostra Wrote:But what is one proselyte in a nation of heretics?
Summed up very well. >:+)
Taken from the WOTLK instruction booklet:

Quote:With the Sunwell's rebirth, the Blood Knights-an order of blood elf paladins who once wielded the light by force-have decided instead to embrace it and to forge themselves a new identity as they lead their people into a more promising future.

Following true lore, the Blood Knights are reformed and follow the light now. Lady Liadrin isn't just 'one proselyte in a nation of heretics'. She's the leader of the Blood Knights and was in fact the first Blood Knight in existance. If she became a true follower of the light, others would surely follow her example.

Despite this, server lore and true lore are different things and CoTH has interpreted these events in another way and moved things in another direction.

-Val
[Image: Valen-Sig.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Blood elves and age. requiem225 13 2,783 05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Herastean
  Help with Blood Elven lore wsemler 4 1,097 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Reigen
  How to play Blood Elves Fortwit 47 6,947 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Dae