The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Visual representatation of Character Height
We're likely all aware that people in real life come in all shapes and sizes. It's even represented in character profiles, one human is five foot tall, while another is 6'3. Yet ingame, this is not represented at all. You can put it in your FlagRSP, but in terms of an actual visual representation, it's just not there. You can carry around firewater or giant growth elixers to grow, and a world enlarger (if you happen to be an engineer) or noggenfogger to shrink, but neither does the trick very well, or elegantly for that matter.

The effect you'd want is something like this:
[Image: heightdif1.png]

This gave me the idea for a 'size store', which would sell five different items to alter your character's height. I did a rough sketch of what I think it'd look like in MS Paint, it's hardly true to scale or anything, but bare with me here. xD

[Image: height2.jpg]

The totems would all be totem NPCs scaled up to represent 'height indicators'. Scale one up to the size of a human, name it "Six Foot Tall" and it is a 6 foot marker, then you can pretty much figure out the rest of the totems by going based on %s of that totem. These can be used by people to compare their character to the markers to get a rough estimate of how tall they currently are.

The vendor itself would sell five different items that change your size. One that -20%, one for -10%, one that resets it to default, one for +10%, one for +20 %. This should roughly provide all the different realistic heights for player characters.

[Image: heightitems.png]

Now some race / item combinations might not produce the best results, but I think those numbers should provide a roughly realistic scale for characters to work with, if some common thought is used. For example, a human using the largest one would become 7.2 foot tall, which is obviously oddly large, but the 'larger' one would put them at 6'6, which is the realistic maximum the height tables give. For a tauren however, the largest one would put them at roughly 9 foot tall, the largest a tauren can realistically be according to the table, while the smallest one would put them at 6'0, which is too short for a Tauren.

However, using 5 general items would save the gigantic headache of making them race specific. I'm relatively certain we could expect people to at least put some thought in the item they're using. After all, they have to put down realistic numbers for their character profiles as well.

Eeeeither way, I'd love to hear if this kind of idea is doable. And what other people think of it.
It's a cool idea to try out. Cause many people don't really have the time whilst Rping to check through a flag for references. I say we might as well give this a go.
Yukai the Spiritwalker; Answers come in my sleep.
Look at me! I can shamelessly link my storythread too!
A problem I see with this is people could use the smallest size as a Gnome or Human to give off the appearance of a Human child.
[Image: Untitled-332.png]
Which is the part where people would have to actually put a slight bit of thought into it. People will abuse any well meant system if they really wish, people using the smallest one and pretending to be a child is no different from people taking a blood elf and pretending to be a high elf, or taking a draenei and pretending to be a Man'ari Eredar. It's against the rules because characters have to be at least adult age.
I like the idea, just I don't want to see obscene sizes for characters, because the player 'thought it would be cool rite?' Other than that, I think it would be cool.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
sasail Wrote:A problem I see with this is people could use the smallest size as a Gnome or Human to give off the appearance of a Human child.
But, seeing as that is now allowed, it won't be a problem :wink:
This is a good idea.

I think our player base is mature enough to not use these size changers because it's cool. As stated before, becoming a child isn't a problem, seeing as that's against the rules.

We just need to be realistic in using this. For example, I really doubt our dwarves and gnomes could get any shorter. Perhaps racial requirements to keep them from using the shortening ones?
Why couldn't Dwarves and Gnomes be shorter?
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
I just think that they can only be so short before it's just... weird.
What about Tiny in Dun Morogh. The one guy in the mortar team that practices near the road to Kharanos from Coldridge Valley.

He is alot smaller, and his companion alot bigger. than normal dwarves.
"Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god." - Beilby Porteus
Clifton Wrote:This is a good idea.

I think our player base is mature enough to not use these size changers because it's cool. As stated before, becoming a child isn't a problem, seeing as that's against the rules.

We just need to be realistic in using this. For example, I really doubt our dwarves and gnomes could get any shorter. Perhaps racial requirements to keep them from using the shortening ones?

Assuming the current in game values are 'average' for the race, Gnomes could be shorter, as well as taller.
Splendid!

More standard sizes, this'll atleast increase character diversity and also would add a certain feel of reality to it since not everyone is exactly the same size.. Of the same race that is.
Little by little, one travels far.
Just adding that I hope this is possible as I really like the idea. Go for it if we can!
Have some MIND CONTROL JERKY! (Care of Drukag)
[Image: 3YOM.gif]
Yes, please. Gale can finally be the stocky, large elf he was supposed to be.
Wake me up when I can have my fat Draenei. :x
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=0][th=4]Character Information[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Affiliation[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][td=1,]Title[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Ivy Killinger[/td][td=1,]The Lodestone Company[/td][td=1,]Inebriated[/td][td=1,]Drunken Fightin' Wench[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Uulari[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Seer[/td][/tr]
[tr=bg2][td=1,]Vyrsallia Scythefall[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][td=1,]Guttersnipe and Ne'erdowell[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
[Image: badge.jpg]
I'm a Shaman? Really? Huh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Suggestion] Setting the model height for your own character Mayson 30 3,711 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Psychyn