The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Opinions about the Dragonsworn
Lets make a long story short, shall we?

Well after rolling a night elf and finding their lore incredibly amusing I looked for what would be a fitting prestige title available, after comparing them to the information found on wowiki for those who didn't have an article on the wiki itself, What really caught my eye was the prestige of Dragonsworn. (Now before you roll your eyes and hit the "back" button hear me out).

Ive done a little bit of research on the Dragonsworn and found out a basic background about them and what races tend to be drawn to being sworn. I'm hoping for some feedback considering if this is a good idea or not (Kinda as if i looked like a Mary sue by doing this) and where exactly could i get a good start on this.
This is quite an interesting idea, not quite sure how it would go though. Care to explain how one would become a Dragonsworn though? I don't entirely know how it works.
There isn't anything like an application or anything but what would basically happen is that the character(whatever s/he is) would go before a dragon or counsel of dragons of a certain flight and pledge their entire life to the flight. Everything is devoted including spare time and their own lives. In return the Dragonsworn will gain powers of the said flight (A black Dragonsworn might get powers over shadowflame ect...)

Also with flights such as the bronze dragonflight you might have to make certain sacrifices like being able to let entire civilizations be wiped out to maintain the past or cutting off all ties with past relatives/organizations.
I'll be honest and say that that is one of the prestige titles I find really silly, as far as I know it was pretty much ripped from D&D and Forgotten Realms and then barely adapted into the Watcraft setting so that they could put more classes into the RPG book. I admitt that I don't know a lot about the class but I have this vague memory of it being ridiculously overpowered, though that could just be me seeing it abused on other servers.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Dragonsworn are usually Night Elves(Seeing as how they worship dragons and pretty much live the longest, though it's not uncommon for other races in this uncommon process) and they aren't really given flight. They make an oath or whatever when a dragon chooses them. The Dragonflight chooses them, not the other way around, and only when they notice potential. Dragonsworn are basically a dragon's slave, and it's not uncommon for them to have -no- importance. Not even be noticed by their dragon despite dedicating your entire life to the Dragon.

If you are noticed however the dragons may bless you, and the blessing depends on the dragon. A direct quote:

Quote:"The patron dragon for a Dragonsworn of the bronze Dragonflight might give a faithful disciple a relic from the War of the Ancients, whereas a Dragonsworn of Nefarian might be taught the basics of how to manipulate the deadly power of shadow flame."
(Nothing about flight though, that would actually require wings.)
And it was a common thing in the past. Green dragons are said to have picked up on taking in Dragonsworn again, and few of the flights do take in dedicated individuals. It would be hellish anyways as some of the Dragonflights have no reason to trust us lower races.

The Green Dragonsworn are usually Druids who were recruited by Yseral though not all of them make that jump.

The Blue Dragonsworn are usually talented magic users, or some very good Priests and Paladins.

Though I don't think Red Dragons have any particular likings, I know for sure that an Orc can never be a Dragonsworn under the Red Dragonflight because of the second war.

Bronze likes warriors due to their display of strength, stuff like that.

The Black Dragonflight however looks for opportunities and power. If you're in line for power(Such as Medihv, Illidan, people like them who had great potential) would be candy for a Black Dragonflight, but then you have to take into account that if they had a traitor, who knew their secrets would be very catastrophic for them. That pokes a hole in their trust for the lower races, and if you were to betray them they would probably hunt you down to death.

In the past it was common because Night Elves were immortal, they were higher, dedicated, trust worthy(Not that they still aren't, but immortal played a big role) and the Dragons respected Night Elves because they sometimes outlived their Dragon-teachers.

Dragonflights use Dragonsworn as pawns none the less. Sending them to places where you would never see them go themselves, doing dirty work and such. Also Dragonsworn are secretive, since only Night Elves and magic user understand their association with Dragons whereas msot wouldn't. Also very little know that Dragonsworn exist, for very good reason.

Also with Cataclysm on the rise, I don't know how becoming a Black Dragonsworn would work if it's allowed.

Edit: Typo.
It puts the grammar in the RP or else it gets the hose again...
Granted the idea of a Dragonsworn is probably a bit unfitting and over powered too, I would still like to give a shot at it. Because of the aftermath of the second war a lot of Night Elves too a liking to the red dragon sworn and became Dragonsworn of Alexstraza and the fact that night elves were immortal up until a few years ago would make it very possible.

Also I was intending to use the personality of the Dragonsworn then anything:
Quote:Some dragonsworn might seek to teach others about the ways of the dragons to dispel the hatred of those who lost family and friends to blacks or reds, but most prefer to lie low and keep to themselves.
A devotee of the Aspects might join a group of adventurers to better serve her flight, perhaps to find a magic object or just learn more about the world. In such a situation, knowledge is the greatest weapon
This is not such a bad idea to be torched right away. On EU Defias Brotherhood a friend of mine started a cult to show that not all cultists have to be evil and mad torturers and warlocks.

The cult revolved around Alexstrasza and the Red flight, they were Chaotic Good charged with protecting Life. It might sound overpowered at first but the trick was that not Alexstra nor any other red dragons or drakes had any finger in the cult. It was created by a night elven druid who had witnessed the powers of the reds and knew her calling, she first began researching the flight and dragons overall and over the years butted into several dragon enthusiasts.

In essence they were a small cult who lived by the previous actions of the Red Flight, making their worship almost into a religion. Tracking down nests and important site and making them sacred places and at places even creating altars. Protecting and feeding red whelps. And also acting as a small company of fighters against forces who wish to bring death to the world, especially necromancers.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Kril and I were discussing this last night and these were the kinds of things that we came up with:
  • Since there is an absence of an article regarding this prestige class, if it were allowed he would need to create a thorough and insightful post regarding the dragonsworn. This should be submitted to the community for review and hopefully given the thumbs up.
  • Due to the bad connotations that association with dragons have earned many roleplayers (neophyte and experienced alike), creation of this class with have to be handled very carefully. People who wish to become dragonsworn will also have to proceed carefully. This is due two reasons:
    1. Many people choose to associate with dragons because it makes them special and unique. However, there are foundations (both in-game and out) that demonstrate that there are people who have worked for and perhaps even worked with dragons in the past. A good and experienced roleplayer should be able to handle the role without letting it get out of hand.

2. Dragons are typically considered beings of immense power and intellect. An individual who serves dragons may be granted a portion of their powers to ensure the completion of their tasks. However, in order to avoid zOMG GODMODE, this has to be a reasonable thing. As noted in the quote Kril made, "knowledge is the greatest weapon," and this may be the optimal solution.
  • There are three potential ways that an individual could become a dragonsworn:
    1. Actively seeking out a member of a dragonflight so aid them
    2. Being "recruited"
    3. Serving a member of a dragonflight in some task(s) and then choosing to serve afterwards
    Since the character that Kril has created is a night elf (the race who has the greatest -- and perhaps only tradition of serving dragons), any of these three paths would be open to him. The character may have known people who worked for the dragons, though it would appear that most dragonsworn keep their allegiances close to their breasts.
  • In order to balance powers that could potentially be acquired by a dragonsworn, we felt that players would have to make some sort of sacrifice which would be demanded of them by the respective dragonflight. Upon further research, we found that this was already somewhat a mechanic in place. The WoWWiki article on the dragonsworn mentions that most people are unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to earn the trust of a dragonflight; while this may be referring to just time and resources, perhaps something a little more concrete should be added to help ensure that the decision to become a dragonsworn is one that is not made lightly.
  • How a dragonsworn is treated, what requirements are made of them, and the powers which they may obtain are dependent on the dragonflights that they serve. We hadn't quite codified these specifically, but we did come up with a handful of situations. For example, a dragonsworn of the Bronze Dragonflight may be required to effectively renounce any ties that she may have that would prevent her from completing the tasks given to her by her masters; since the dragonflight focuses on maintaining the flow of time, allegiances to others (family, an organization, a people, or even an ideal) could impede the completion of her tasks. Perhaps a night elf may find it difficult to not just idly stand by but also ensure the death of Cenarious if that specific incident in time were threatened somehow.

And that's about it. It was late last night (early this morning) when we started discussing the merits of the prestige class.
Actually..This is a prestige title we do not allow. :<
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Cressy Wrote:Actually..This is a prestige title we do not allow. :<

Not at all. It's way too powerful, and involves the player being a dragon.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:
Cressy Wrote:Actually..This is a prestige title we do not allow. :<

Not at all. It's way too powerful, and involves the player being a dragon.

Being in contact with, not actually being. They serve dragons and may gain "powers" from their dragonflight.

But yeah.
Well, it's still a no.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I noticed the wiki says that some titles are not available to some players, is it possible to separate the ones obtainable from the ones that are locked from the average player? To avoid this again?
Welp, that's why we have the prestige title application process in place. It helps us filter this sort of stuff out, and actually, we ask that people don't go for prestige titles before they are applicable for them, meaning that when you create a character, don't think "oh they are for sure gonna be a gladiator/dragonsworn/technomage" or whatever title you were looking for.

Reason is because of exactly what's going on here... we usually review what's given to us and see what's possible or not.

We haven't made a list of what people can and can't do, because there is a LOT to add to it, and in some cases we may allow some things.

But right now, we'd need a -spectacular- reason for there to be a dragonsworn, and it's best if we say we currently don't allow it. There -have- been some people who apply for prestige titles that are out of the norm, and we say "They'd make a great such and such."

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Bovel Wrote:This is not such a bad idea to be torched right away. On EU Defias Brotherhood a friend of mine started a cult to show that not all cultists have to be evil and mad torturers and warlocks.

The cult revolved around Alexstrasza and the Red flight, they were Chaotic Good charged with protecting Life. It might sound overpowered at first but the trick was that not Alexstra nor any other red dragons or drakes had any finger in the cult. It was created by a night elven druid who had witnessed the powers of the reds and knew her calling, she first began researching the flight and dragons overall and over the years butted into several dragon enthusiasts.

In essence they were a small cult who lived by the previous actions of the Red Flight, making their worship almost into a religion. Tracking down nests and important site and making them sacred places and at places even creating altars. Protecting and feeding red whelps. And also acting as a small company of fighters against forces who wish to bring death to the world, especially necromancers.

This sounds like a pretty cool idea though, and would be possible without any special approval. At least as long as it doesn't involve any special powers or talking with Alexstraza on a daily basis.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions needed: Death Knight Caster. Adam255 12 2,128 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Prestige Titles: My Opinions Stormgald 10 2,081 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Rigley
  Cataclysm: My Opinions Stormgald 34 6,758 08-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Hawk
  The Separation (requesting opinions) rodentjoe 9 1,609 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Beltharean
  Opinions - IC Language/Colloquialisms JosieNoelle 10 1,646 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Last Post: McKnighter