The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Neutral NPCs
So i was on another server a while back and I noticed that all their NPCs were set to neutral (meaning you can attack them, but they can't attack you first.) This effect was server wide and I thought it was a pretty good idea for CotH, it would allow non approved grunts to RP in the tougher places without being carried by 80's and also make for less stressful OOC leveling (it can get sort of challenging if you can't afford the dungeon sets.)

So my suggestion is, we make all the NPCs neutral for better access to RP, and easier leveling.
It's a fascinating idea. For the life of me I can't, at first glance, find some reason why this would be a bad idea sans logistical problems.

But I'm sure I'm missing something that may make it tricky to implement.

Still a darn good idea!
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
I too like this idea.

We will have to see what Kret thinks, he would have to be the one to do it.
I've discovered the ID for neutral is 31, just to note for the GMs.

But aye, I don't mind this idea either, and I wouldn't mind going around and changing the mobs. :> Just down to Kretol.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I personally don't much like the idea. Maybe I'm just die-hard and think that hostile mobs should stay hostile, but I think there's a reason why they're there. So that you can't just walk right through them. If they're not hostile ingame, people might also think they're not hostile IC.
Scout Wrote:I personally don't much like the idea. Maybe I'm just die-hard and think that hostile mobs should stay hostile, but I think there's a reason why they're there. So that you can't just walk right through them. If they're not hostile ingame, people might also think they're not hostile IC.
This is actually pretty much the precise reason I'm not fond of this idea. While I wouldn't necessarily mind doing this conservatively, I don't wish to run some mass query to set everything neutral.
Well I've thought about that. Unlike other servers I've seen CotH tends to be a little more responsible in maintaining realism...so naturally fighting monsters ICly wouldn't be an issue so long as they put some thought in to it. Besides, I think people will still use common sense to know an area is dangerous, and using WoW mechanics to your OOC advantage would be godmodding, and I usually see very little of that because it's usually fixed by a responsible player...atleast in my experience.

Getting rid of hostility would only server an OOC purpose and should in -no way- affect IC outcomes out situations...it only ensures lower levels can RP in rougher places, because afterall level shouldn't and doesn't matter in RP.

Quote:This is actually pretty much the precise reason I'm not fond of this idea. While I wouldn't necessarily mind doing this conservatively, I don't wish to run some mass query to set everything neutral.
Well the decision comes down to you in the end, that's just my thoughts on it. It involves trust and I understand that can be an issue in any community.
Personally, I would change the hostility of beasts to neutral, simply for easier levelling, and that beasts are the only boundaries really in travelling to new areas. I think that, because it would have to be made VERY clear that ICly Blood Elves CANNOT RP in Stormwind [simply becauce I've seen this on other private servers] and I think we would all be tempted to RP in a hostile city, if we feel a little rebellious. Also, I would still be confused seeing Orcs out shopping in the Trade District of Stormwind, or Undead smelting ore in the Great Furnace. Even OOC it would annoy me, because there really is no need for it. Cross faction does not need to happen OOC, and can't happen IC in cities anyway. There are no real benefits then, except for with beasts.
Scout Wrote:I personally don't much like the idea. Maybe I'm just die-hard and think that hostile mobs should stay hostile, but I think there's a reason why they're there. So that you can't just walk right through them. If they're not hostile ingame, people might also think they're not hostile IC.
I would tend to agree on die-hard realism, but every time someone is attacked by a mob- let's face it- they'll just go OOC to kill it (or to run back to their body if they die) and resume RPing as if nothing happened. I'm all for changing them.
Ben Wrote:Personally, I would change the hostility of beasts to neutral, simply for easier levelling, and that beasts are the only boundaries really in travelling to new areas. I think that, because it would have to be made VERY clear that ICly Blood Elves CANNOT RP in Stormwind [simply becauce I've seen this on other private servers] and I think we would all be tempted to RP in a hostile city, if we feel a little rebellious. Also, I would still be confused seeing Orcs out shopping in the Trade District of Stormwind, or Undead smelting ore in the Great Furnace. Even OOC it would annoy me, because there really is no need for it. Cross faction does not need to happen OOC, and can't happen IC in cities anyway. There are no real benefits then, except for with beasts.

I never understood why Hostile Factions treat ALL who are in a different faction with hostility... like... America IRL doesn't kill every Middle-Eastern person, that was a horrible example, albeit, it's similar.
Thane Gwydd: Mountain King Gwyddy
Warlord Kron: Horde Warlord
Battlecruiser Captain: Who called in the fleet?
Sir Baldwin: Knight of Stormwind
My Guide to Roleplaying Warfare!
They don't. But guards would kill any Alliance member, because they are at war, and are trained to do so. The same is true for Alliance soldiers. The people in the camp, if they weren't warriors and people like that, would be Unfriendly. Cooperation between factions would really be limited to like Shamans, Druids, and people working towards peace. This is just a general NPC base really. Going through the entire database changing people to unfriendly, and neutral would take a while. I would still not change the entire database, because of the point I made earlier. People CAN'T be trusted, and it isn't needed ICly to change, because each faction offers everything thats needed. It also deters people from heading into Hostile teritory, because, yes you can rezz OOCly, but it's gonna' annoy your RP massively. This really leads back to, 'Would I be here, is there a reason for it that is in any way logical?' If your near opposition bases, then most likely no, other than spying. If you were spying it would force you to keep a good distance, as you would do to avoid being tortured for secrets, and letting down your faction. I wouldn't try to compare it to modern day wars myself, but more to the wars of the Middle Ages, and the Samurais, since thats where the inspiration for Blizzard comes for Warcraft I think.
Actually in my experience you can change only specific mobs and not all. And you don't have to do it one by one either.

All you have to do is pick a mob. Change one or two of the NPC's faction ID's and restart the server. Once restarted all of that mob you come by will be neutral, It's quite simple. What you should do is write a list down on what would be convenient to be neutral and what should stay the same, and start changing. Once all has been done restart the server.

Sorry if this is a bad idea. Just woke up. :P
The worlds a roller coaster,
And I am not strapped in,
Maybe I should hold with care,
But my hands are busy in the air.

Like Father, Like Son. The path of a Beastmaster.
I think people would abuse this, and by the sounds of the "They are getting attacked then OOCly killing stuff anyways", they are currently abusing it anyhow.

You guys -know- we'd get people walking to places they shouldn't be after that. Like, Bloodelves in Stormwind. Hrng.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:You guys -know- we'd get people walking to places they shouldn't be after that. Like, Bloodelves in Stormwind. Hrng.

Couldn't we just keep the hostility on the City Guards and just make the Trash Mobs neutral?

Would solve the problem rather neatly.
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
I'm all for this idea, not just because of leveling but for RP purposes aswell.

This server is all about how in-game levels do not matter. How then can a person that may be roleplaying a veteran soldier but is only level ten or even twenty, roleplay in the higher level regions that may have some action going on in?

This is the answer to that problem. And also what Rosencrat said, keep the guards hostile since there is no reason to change them.
"Kill a man, and you are an assassin. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill everyone, and you are a god." - Beilby Porteus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neutral Papers ProjectRandom 8 1,925 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Last Post: NodCommando
  Neutral Goblin City Harmonic 42 6,404 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Caravan
  Neutral Roleplay Location Request Spiralin 18 2,857 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Argent/Neutral Inn Fortwit 30 5,383 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Lendri
  Neutral Hubs! Dareksar 12 1,874 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Last Post: CappnRob