The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Potential new Prestiges?
Allright, so, I was planning out how to go about applying for a prestige, and I noticed something about a good amount of the prestige classes listed. a good majority of them seem to be centralised around making the character a more adept fighter than the average person, by magic, strength, skill, or otherwise, and I got to thinking. Maybe there is a space available for some prestiges that give way for more roleplaying centralised advantages. Ive come up with a few examples, to demonstrate the point :)

Class: Tycoon

"Time is money, friend!"

The tycoon is A the master of all things business, and would sell their own mother if they thought they could make a profit. They are generally quick witted, well dressed and well kept, as well as boasting a huge wealth due to their entrepreneurial attitude. They don't bother with petty squabbles or brawls, in fact, even in times of war they keep themselves safe and still come out smelling of roses, and fresh gold! They are often very confident when standing up to even the mightiest foes, because they likely are paying a mightier one as hired muscle.

Possible advantages:

Smart investments: Gains an amount of IC gold per week.
Hired muscle: The Tycoon can likely afford to bribe other players out of fighting them, or paying other players to defend them.
Personnal trainer: The tycoon, if they so choose, could gain a slight advantage (nowhere close to other fighting centric prestiges) in a specific kind of combat over the average person, by hiring a personnal trainer, only the very best!

Races: Human, Gnome, Orc, Undead, Blood elf.

Examples: Rupert Murdoch (real life), Jabba the hutt (Star wars), Mafia leaders.

Class: Casanova

"Don't you look at me like that, you -know- I look good in this."

The casanova is known throughout their race for being the perfection of looks and beauty, and could turn heads with their mere presence. No matter what the person's tastes in potential partners, they can send a flutter into the strongest heart with a glance, and it would take a strong willed person to no be swayed, or made red with jealousy, by their natural charm and charisma, as if they were blessed by the gods, the loa, elune or any deity themselves. They have likely felt this their whole life, and as such strive for perfection, trying to win over the world through love, not war. Or through deception, whatever works.

Possible advantages:

Lovers influence - Once a day they could whisper ooc a player, and declare the ability, using it to sway one person's thaught's or actions momentarilly, even if the person would ordinarilly not have any interest. This could also be used to, say, distract a roll-fighter once during combat (with a cheeky wink, dashing smile, seductive pose or outright sexual action), Causing them to do a double take and re-roll a certain action (The more I think about this, the more fun it sounds. Re-rolling a 1, the person's jaw drops and they go weak at the knees and stumble over, re-rolling a 50, its like they suddenly got a rush and and urge to show off, bolstering their attack). Only works on the opposite gender.

Races: Human, Night elf, Draenei, Orc, Blood elf.

Examples: Gilderoy Lochheart (Harry potter), real world supermodels.

Now these are just ideas, and need work, but I hope we can get a thread going suggesting other possible ideas for non-combat centric prestiges, and Ill add them here, as well as any other potential ideas i might think have a chance of working.

:D
I have no real opinion on using the prestige system for things like being extravagantly wealthy or being a noble. I find the concept amusing, but I don't know if we'll be doing anything like that in the future. As for this...

Miah Wrote:Class: Casanova

"Don't you look at me like that, you -know- I look good in this."

The casanova is known throughout their race for being the perfection of looks and beauty, and could turn heads with their mere presence. No matter what the person's tastes in potential partners, they can send a flutter into the strongest heart with a glance, and it would take a strong willed person to no be swayed, or made red with jealousy, by their natural charm and charisma, as if they were blessed by the gods, the loa, elune or any deity themselves. They have likely felt this their whole life, and as such strive for perfection, trying to win over the world through love, not war. Or through deception, whatever works.

Possible advantages:

Lovers influence - Once a day they could whisper ooc a player, and declare the ability, using it to sway one person's thaught's or actions momentarilly, even if the person would ordinarilly not have any interest. This could also be used to, say, distract a roll-fighter once during combat (with a cheeky wink, dashing smile, seductive pose or outright sexual action), Causing them to do a double take and re-roll a certain action (The more I think about this, the more fun it sounds. Re-rolling a 1, the person's jaw drops and they go weak at the knees and stumble over, re-rolling a 50, its like they suddenly got a rush and and urge to show off, bolstering their attack). Only works on the opposite gender.

Races: Human, Night elf, Draenei, Orc, Blood elf.

Examples: Gilderoy Lochheart (Harry potter), real world supermodels.

No. Just no.

A concept like this only works if one of two things are true. One, there would have to be a universal standard of beauty, or two, it would have to be entirely the result of magic. The first is demonstratively untrue, as you can just go start up the Orc campaign in Warcraft 3 and listen to the grunts complain about how repulsively ugly they think humans are. The second doesn't seem to be what you're going for here, and I'm still not sure I'd like the idea even if it was.

This also gets into very...unfortunate territory when you're talking about trying to slip a "works on opposite gender" ability into a server where you're very likely to find more than one character of alternate sexuality. The potential for some very uncomfortable roleplay is too great here for me to take the idea into serious consideration at all.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Hehe I think we already have enough of that second kind without it being prestige. *cough*Wilhelm*cough*

A similar topic was adressed in another thread concerning "Common Prestige". Basically, it concluded with Kretol stating that there was only need for a prestige if it involved extreme skill in a combat-oriented area. Archmage, Assassin, Primal...the OP things that can lead to god-moding if they aren't restricted as Prestige.

That was poorly explained. I would reference the post, If I could find it. *Scratches head*
aroes Wrote:Hehe I think we already have enough of that second kind without it being prestige. *cough*Wilhelm*cough*
>.>
<.<
What?
You don't need prestige for either of these two classes you prepose, you can quite easily just RP it. Prestige Classes is rarely about interaction with other characters but with personal power alone.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Those two classes wouldn't be too prestige, they all depend on your own competence. Any character you make could be a Tycoon or a Casanova, you just need to have some smarts and, just like real life, if you fail at either of these in an RP, it's rather obvious.

Still, would of been interesting, but I had the urge to make Marius a Casanova and that wouldn't end too well.
My own Orc, Sondai, is a prime example of "The Tycoon". I RP him as business-savvy, and to have a restriction saying that I need a prestige title to RP my Orc would be a huge kick in the ass.

Money won't make me OP in battle, or a Mary-Sue.
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
These are all my RL classes actually.

But yeah, this is more of a character type then class.
I nearly fell off my chair reading this. Seriously.
Though as said before, prestige is for superior classes, with mastery in their profession to a level that can possibly put them as idols for some.
These classes, however, are your Goblin Merchant, and a large amount of womanizing characters.
Sadly, having our world depending on free choice, a person cannot have "any" woman.
In Conquest of the Horde, the large community of female-playing males, make it a lot more interesting and challenging to seduce the opposite gender.
But seriously.
My chair nearly snapped.
[Image: 8.jpg]
Quote:In Conquest of the Horde, the large community of female-playing males, make it a lot more interesting and challenging to seduce the opposite gender.

Good luck with that one.

Anyway! As a restatement and addition, it's not worthy of prestige. You could go ahead and try at something like Casanova, but you'd probably just look like an idiot. Since nobody will be godmoding anytime soon (I assume), the character would likely laugh at you OOC'ly and IC'ly, then walk away. Stick to prestiging for epic combatz. They can't laugh if they're missing their head.
Still, I like these two, pretty coo'

And people laugh at me anyway :D
JackofBlades Wrote:And people laugh at me anyway :D

Jason Wrote:They can't laugh if they're missing their head.
Trust me...they find ways...magical ways
No need to make fun or laugh, only throwing ideas out there :(

Just wanted to be able to make a prestige that didn't have to be all about being bigger, stronger, tougher or deadlier.

Admittedly the Casanova one would cause issues but I was just throwing ideas out there, trying to make people see that prestige doesn't, or at least shouldn't have to mean better at killing, but could just show that a character is, as with say the Tycoon, a highly influential character in that field, rather than the average business-running civilian.

Maybe someone could, say, become a prestige within a certain field of the trade-skills, such as a Master alchemist, for example. They wouldn't get roll combat advantages, but they would just get, say, renown for being "The best of the best" in their chosen field.

And i'm not rolling a prestige for the extra bonuses for combat, I much prefer to lose as often as I win, i'm rolling it as I find it fun to advance a character this way, nice to put that extra effort into a certain character, and earning the title of master of something for a character would feel like a real achievement for me..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential CotH custom lore world Dae 2 4,928 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Problems? and potential solutions Yau 12 1,755 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Yau
  The Problem of Prestiges Grakor456 195 34,813 08-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Last Post: SpiralLateralus
  Potential forum migration to mybb Kretol 13 2,560 05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Reigen
  Category 1 Prestiges SpiralLateralus 19 4,088 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Brutalskars