The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rogue Death Knights
So, I was just on GMI and someone asked me what made a Rogue DK Rogue, and if there was any lore.

I had no clue, so I made this.

Gogo.
Simple; a Death Knight who kills people indiscriminately/against the will of the Ebon Blade, and/or disobeys the organization's orders and rules. That being said, you are allowed to have your own life. They can't force you to do anything except, you know, not kill people.

I haven't seen any examples in lore. But then again, I haven't been looking. :B
I have searched and searched the wiki for any lore supporting the hunting and killing of 'rogue' Death Knights. Unless I have missed something, I have found -nothing- to support it at all. Yet, it seems so common on this server that it's rather confusing. I don't know fully what to believe so I just go with the fact that, if I can't find lore on it, it doesn't exist.

Unless there is something deep in the wiki unrelated at all to the topic, then I really can't find it. Feel free to send me a link to prove me wrong. I might have missed something.
Well... first of all, consider that rogue Death Knights are a danger to the society they're supposed to be integrating themselves into. Hence a reason normal guards would kill them. Then, they're jeopardizing the purpose of the Ebon Blade by making regular citizens see Death Knights as scary, uncontrollable killing machines. Their acceptance to their respective factions is already hanging by a thread. People just don't like them. And it's the Ebon Blade's responsibility to keep their Death Knights in hand.

So it's perfectly justifiable, even without lore.
The way it was explained to me IC by Khardona, Rensin's DK(Oh gods. Rune-shovel. So epic.) was something to the lines of(And, I paraphrase.):

'The pact between the Ebon Blade and the Big Two is tenuous at best. People fear us, and for good reason. We were monsters once. Some of us still are. They give the Blade a bad name. They threaten the alliance between us and the Big Two. They make people hate and fear us further, causing unrest.
We deal with them by either re-educating them, a redemption if you will, or, if that's not possible, killing them and taking their runeblades to Acherus to be shattered.'

So, yeah. From the mouth of the leader of the old Knights of the Ebon Blade pre-restart guild to your ears.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Rogue Death Knights are, generally, CotH speculation, and the definition tends to vary from person to person.

That's my two :silver:.
Any DK who is not operating under the auspices of the Ebon Blade is a rogue.

And the Ebon Blade does not like rogue death knights.

So really, if you play a rogue Death Knight then you are marked for death by the Ebon Blade and, by extension, many of the Horde and Alliance forces. Both groups only accepted the Death Knights because they saw them as under the leadership of noteable Horde/Alliance figures. The stipulation for heroes joining back up with the Alliance and Horde was that they are under the control of the Ebon Blade and that they work to fight the Lich King.

This can be supported by the completion text from Where Kings Walk and Thrall's Speech

You can still play a rogue Death Knight, but you would have to play them as being a hunted and feral group. It ain't easy goin' it alone.
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
Rosencrat Wrote:Any DK who is not operating under the auspices of the Ebon Blade is a rogue.

And the Ebon Blade does not like rogue death knights.

So really, if you play a rogue Death Knight then you are marked for death by the Ebon Blade and, by extension, many of the Horde and Alliance forces. Both groups only accepted the Death Knights because they saw them as under the leadership of noteable Horde/Alliance figures. The stipulation for heroes joining back up with the Alliance and Horde was that they are under the control of the Ebon Blade and that they work to fight the Lich King.

This can be supported by the completion text from Where Kings Walk and Thrall's Speech

You can still play a rogue Death Knight, but you would have to play them as being a hunted and feral group. It ain't easy goin' it alone.

This is essentially how I did it. At one point I hid in Howling Fjord for days until being tracked down by a self-acclaimed Rogue Death Knight Hunter. My rogue died there. Despite numerous attempts at escape. Bein' rogue ain't no beer sippin' party at Booty Bay, yo.
I remember back in my day when we used to hunt Rogue Death Knights. . .DK's were more fun to play when they had special profiles, and they would be easier to manage in terms of appropriate behavior and ideology. If you want my honest opinion, there are a lot of Death Knights around that really aren't Death Knights.

But that's not what the threads about, yo. If someone can dig up Rensin's guild post with the Knights back in the day, that'd be my prime source of the "rules"; they feel accurate and reasonable. Good hunting!
[Image: Calvin_and_Hobbes_hug_by_Humongous_E.png]
Rosencrat Wrote:Any DK who is not operating under the auspices of the Ebon Blade is a rogue.
Rosencrat has made the point spot on here if you ask me. The "Knights of the Ebon Blade" was made and named to counterwiegh the "Knights of the Silver Hand" right after the release of those death knights. Darion puts it down quite clearly for you that without the Order and their promise to the Argents, that they wont get far.

So in essence; rogue death knight = not part of Ebon Blade and therefore also without the benefits of that membership such as new gears, mounts and runeforges.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Now something bothers you. That's fun.

I'll just answer what I'm told when you guys overplay Draenei and make Night Elves and Blood Elves fall in love.

"Players roleplay as they wish".
Lynoa06 Wrote:Now something bothers you. That's fun.

I'll just answer what I'm told when you guys overplay Draenei and make Night Elves and Blood Elves fall in love.

Pretty much this.
The rogue death knight thing seems very... vague.
For one, it's never directly mentioned in quests or lore.
And as pointed out by Bovel, it just means they arn't part of the Blades and thus won't get nifty benefits.
Otherwise? The DK's are still citizens of their respective factions. Take the Cataclysm Andorhal questline. Koltira and Thassarian command their respective forces.
The Ebon blade is less of a defined faction and more of an Order.
Like the Knights of the Silver Hand.
And the Blood Knights.
And the Kirin Tor.
Binkleheimer Wrote:

Pretty much this.
And as pointed out by Bovel, it just means they arn't part of the Blades and thus won't get nifty benefits.
Otherwise? The DK's are still citizens of their respective factions. Take the Cataclysm Andorhal questline. Koltira and Thassarian command their respective forces.
And the Blood Knights.
And the Kirin Tor.

The Kirin Tor is the ruling body of Dalaran isn't it? And Dalaran is a magocratic city-state.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
When you look at the premises and foundation of the Ebon Blade, it's less lore-based and more of a logical conclusion. If you're responsible for the behavior of a group of people, you're not going to look the other way when those people disobey the basic rules of the organization. Especially if this disobedience happens to involve something which will really strike a nerve with all people the Ebon Blade is associated with.

We've already gone through this in the above posts, and in much more detail.
c0rzilla Wrote:
Binkleheimer Wrote:

Pretty much this.
And the Blood Knights.
And the Kirin Tor.

The Kirin Tor is the ruling body of Dalaran isn't it? And Dalaran is a magocratic city-state.
Urg, yea. I couldn't remember what the Dalaran people would call themselves and in retrospect it's a horrible example.

Even then, that's all this boils down to.
A "logical" conclusion.
You assume they would be considered rogue and hunted down.
Yet, there is no lore as you stated.
So, it can be taken many ways. And in the end, who decides which Death Knight is rogue?
The Death Knight himself? Someone else? This is merely a fanon thing. We've filled the hole in with something that we think is the right answer.
But what if someone disagrees? Techincally, they can be right as there is nothing supporting what you have to say other than a logical conclusion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worgen Death Knights, and True Form Harmonic 21 5,539 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Dae
  [WIP] Service After Death: A Death Knight Guide SachikoMaeda 43 6,152 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Death Knights. Ukarai 7 1,833 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Nick
  Blood Elf Death Knights.. Bingles 22 4,702 03-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Last Post: Fortwit
  Creation of Death Knights Fortwit 5 1,694 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Dragonbeard