The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Living Death Knight
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Stay as is, all DKs are regular profiles
37.50%
6 37.50%
Living Death Knights only are special profiles
37.50%
6 37.50%
All Death Knights are special profiles
25.00%
4 25.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Return from the old days?
So, I was having a discussion on GMI, and a thought popped into my head.

*zoom in dramatically, all Cloud style*

What if Death Knights were returned to being a special profile?

Here's what I thought.

-Death Knights are more powerful than the average Warrior. Therefore, would it not be better to place that power on people the GM team can trust?
-Death Knights have many complex aspects to them, many of which are neglected in RP. Perhaps Quality over Quantity would come into play here?

Also, I came up with a few things that would possibly be beneficial if added.
-If one has an approved Death Knight, they would only need to create a profile, post it in regular profiles and provide a link to the approved profile.

Thoughts? I know I'm probably going to get flamed for limiting RP possibilities, but Quality over Quantity (that's what I'm going to say to any people saying anything nonconstructive), as I see it. Death Knights are rare, after all.

EDIT: To current DKs. My thoughts are that the character would have to post a profile within a month, or the DK would be locked.

Right. Discussion on GMI again. Edited to have a poll. Go.
I approve.
McKnighter Wrote:I approve.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
On one hand, I agree with you. It would be nice to see people actually writing profiles. Although I'm guilty of this too to a degree, I sometimes get annoyed when I see people content to just stay at level 50 (Or for DKs, level 63 or 64) and never write a profile because level 80 isn't enough of an incentive anymore. DK's as special profiles would help this.

On the other hand, special profiles for DK's got looked at about once a month, and updated once every 2-3 months. To have a character profile up for that long and not be able to play that character at all is extremely annoying.
I sort of agree and though I wasn't present at the discussion, I bet I can guess what it was sparked over.

However...

Having a special profile doesn't necessarily fix all the problems to do with DKs in the way they're played, it just makes them more exclusive.

People can still play DKs poorly regardless of whether they display impeccable knowledge regarding the class' unique history, so it doesn't really solve anything - just bottlenecks the system.
I agree with this too. Perhaps we can let people still play DKs OOCly if they want to try the quests and stuff, but the number of living DKs on the server is getting to be rather ridiculous. Not that I think it's bad to have one, but it seems there's this common archetype of having the tragedy of being a DK but not the drawbacks of being undead, thus making you more "compatible" with other players.

Living DKs should be to some extent evil if you ask me.
@ Terant. In all truth, profiles are going rather slow anyways. However, I see what you say. Special Profiles are checked on even less. Although, perhaps more profiles there would help gather more attention to it?

@ Delta. Exclusive amongst the people that GMs trust.
Wuvvums Wrote:I agree with this too. Perhaps we can let people still play DKs OOCly if they want to try the quests and stuff, but the number of living DKs on the server is getting to be rather ridiculous. Not that I think it's bad to have one, but it seems there's this common archetype of having the tragedy of being a DK but not the drawbacks of being undead, thus making you more "compatible" with other players.

Living DKs should be to some extent evil if you ask me.
I agree with everything about living DKs and evil and such... However, required special profiles won't help with this. Sadly, GM's can't look at a profile and say "We accepted this before but now we have too many so, change it."

@FlyingSquirrel. With a normal profile, you can still play the character before it's accepted. Perhaps as long as you have a profile -posted-, you could play the Death Knight at level 63/64? That sounds like a decent compromise.
Sure. That's actually something I don't like about Special Profiles in general. But the person has to be willing to give up the DK if denied.
The character could just be locked until the profile is fixed.
That's what I meant by give up... kinda. XD
I APPRO- wait for my character to get approved, THEN I APPROVE.
FlyingSquirrel Wrote:@ Delta. Exclusive amongst the people that GMs trust.

That was what I was implying, which I don't think is the answer.
... I kind of think a little bit of education wouldn't go amiss, here. A comprehensive guide, a list of definitive do's and don'ts, cans and can'ts.

This coming from a lazy person who loves Death Knights, so take with a grain of salt?
The Death Knights we play in game aren't the power house machines of death seen in Warcraft one or two; Rather, they're mass produced soldiers originally believed to be expendable. And, by the logic that they're stronger than the other classes in lore, then Paladins and Warlocks should be restricted as well since they're both prestige characters in the RPG.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
I approve, for the love all that is holy.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scheduled Leveling days Touchseed 2 882 06-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Nostra