The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A confused returning player
First off, sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

Hey!

I'm ghaskan, otherwise known in-game as Grazmot the Orc shaman, Kashu the Tauren druid, among others. You may or may not remember me (leaning towards the former for most of you). I'm a big Warcraft and RP fan who used this server for a while, but due to real life catching up had to leave. Now I'm back, and rather confused.

I'm not completely ignorant of what's going on - I know there has been a server reset - but it's very little. I played back in December (it's been a while, I know), and my situation is rather sketchy if I may say so myself, as I had an approved character (Grazmot) and was really close of attaining gruntship.

After this breakdown, I've got a few questions (some of them I have an idea about, but I'd like to know the whole thing):
  • What are the main news/changes to the community, the server and the policies?
  • Will I be able to get my characters back?
  • What about gruntship? Will I have to wait another month before being able to get it, due to my absense?
  • Is there something else I REALLY should know?

Well, that's about it, for now at least.

Thank you a lot in advance,
ghaskan.
Prestige Classes are out of the picture, now with more leniency on how characters are played.

All characters on the server were deleted from the database, you'll have to reroll them.

Gruntship is a case by case basis, largely would be considered of how long you played before you left.

As for the last question, Nutella is awesome.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Alright, thanks for the reply! Nutella is indeed quite tasty. ;)
Living DKs are out
Theres a new IC currency the gms have been working on and a very handy item value guideline.
Weekly lottery
Sever whipe
Free forum system has been excepted (long story, not enough time to type)
New OOC area with a lotta space
etc. etc. etc.
With a hip, hip and a clippity clop
He's out looking for a head to swap
So don't try to figure out a plan
You can't reason with a headless man
~Disney

(10-15-2011, 05:07 AM)rodentjoe Wrote: Living DKs are out
Theres a new IC currency the gms have been working on and a very handy item value guideline.
Weekly lottery
Sever whipe
Free forum system has been excepted (long story, not enough time to type)
New OOC area with a lotta space
etc. etc. etc.

Oh, the IC Currency and the Weekly lottery I haven't heard about. Gotta check 'em out! I got to see the new OOC area first hand too, it's pretty nice, though I wouldn't say it's better or worse than the old one; having everything close by had its own charm!

As for the Free forum system... I have no idea of what you're talking about, unfortunately. Mind giving some more details (or the link to a thread about it, if there is one, which I haven't been able to find)?
I think he means the archives being unearthed. Not sure.
Another good thing to keep in mind is that now in server lore, all humanoid races age as humans up to the age of 18.

So if you have any young elves or draenei, you'll need to revise their life experience.
Thanks, good thing I don't have any character profile from a race that will suffer from that new age system, though my Tauren might need some revising before I write his profile down...

Though... for Draenei and Blood elves, that change looks a bit odd (in most settings, elves aren't adults until they are pretty old by human standards), but fair enough.
(10-18-2011, 12:39 PM)ghaskan Wrote: Thanks, good thing I don't have any character profile from a race that will suffer from that new age system, though my Tauren might need some revising before I write his profile down...

Though... for Draenei and Blood elves, that change looks a bit odd (in most settings, elves aren't adults until they are pretty old by human standards), but fair enough.

I suppose I should have said, "Physically." This is to avoid the "100-year-old baby" issue that you get with extremely long-lived races, or the issue of a 150-year-old elf with the maturity of a human teenager. Blizz is a bit unclear on the issue of aging lore-wise, but the discussion that led to this decision on the server is strewn about the various discussion that happened prior to the server reboot on the subjects of reboot-related policy changes. I read it at some point and it made sense, but I didn't participate in that dialogue, so I wouldn't be able to pull a link out off the top of my head.

And this policy is not meant to say that an 18-year-old Night Elf or Draenei or what have you is socially or emotionally what one would consider an adult among a people who have centuries of life experience- just look at real humans and how there's a disparity between a 21-year-old and a 50-year-old.

The server reboot has given users more freedom, but I feel that it also brings an unstated increase in expectation from the users. An 18-year-old Draenei and a 2,000-year-old are going to be different. A roleplayer here is expected to know this and act accordingly.
(10-18-2011, 02:08 PM)Dae Wrote:
(10-18-2011, 12:39 PM)ghaskan Wrote: Thanks, good thing I don't have any character profile from a race that will suffer from that new age system, though my Tauren might need some revising before I write his profile down...

I suppose I should have said, "Physically." This is to avoid the "100-year-old baby" issue that you get with extremely long-lived races, or the issue of a 150-year-old elf with the maturity of a human teenager. Blizz is a bit unclear on the issue of aging lore-wise, but the discussion that led to this decision on the server is strewn about the various discussion that happened prior to the server reboot on the subjects of reboot-related policy changes. I read it at some point and it made sense, but I didn't participate in that dialogue, so I wouldn't be able to pull a link out off the top of my head.

And this policy is not meant to say that an 18-year-old Night Elf or Draenei or what have you is socially or emotionally what one would consider an adult among a people who have centuries of life experience- just look at real humans and how there's a disparity between a 21-year-old and a 50-year-old.

The server reboot has given users more freedom, but I feel that it also brings an unstated increase in expectation from the users. An 18-year-old Draenei and a 2,000-year-old are going to be different. A roleplayer here is expected to know this and act accordingly.

Since my reply was going to be short, I first thought of leaving only a like on your post, but I just can't leave your great reply unanswered. That's very insightful, thanks a lot!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CotH-aluation] Player/Staff Communications Loxmardin 8 2,695 02-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Jonoth
  Returning Player - from before Cataclysm ghaskan 6 1,510 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Uh, I'm a bit confused over here Mayson 4 1,117 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Psychyn
  Profile Harassment/Discouraging your fellow player Harmonic 51 7,423 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Rowgen
  Returning Player with some character questions Leethoof 4 1,003 11-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Leethoof