The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Chat rule clarifications?
This is something I've been wanting to see clarified for -years-, as it's always a topic of debate. In the time I've had on CoTH, people have always said that it's "Self explanatory", which just does not cut it any more, since that leaves it actually up for interpretation, and therefor arguing.

This is -my- view of how it is. Rensin's. This is how I've always seen it, since I've started playing, since barrens was introduced, and I -think- now, since I haven't seen anything making this more clear.

Chat: This is a general channel, for, well, chat. Say hello to people. Ask how they are doing. Discuss movies. Anything that could be seen as OOC chatter. Now, the one thing I've been seeing a lot, and that people constantly try to police, is that blurry line of what's "Spam". To me, spam has always been, anything that's non-relevant to serious discussion, such as meme's, lolcats, or any sort of "zany" or off the wall "derpy" joking.

Not everyone is in to the sillyness of things, so there's another channel for that.

Barrenschat: This is where all your random goes. Your lolcats. Jokes about memes. Anything that detracts from serious conversation in a way that could be deemed as pants-on-head irrelevant.

Adult: This is very self explanatory. Talk about your nasty 18+ stuff here. ONLY if you are 18, however. As well as mature talk, that's not for youngin's to hear.

LFG: This is the place where you look for RP. Ask who is doing what were, and how to get involved.

General: This is the place to correct errors, such as spelling mistakes. I've seen light conversation here, however, for some reason people are immediate to kick anything that's even slightly like conversation to Barrens.

I bring this up, again, because it's never been clarified. I disagree with the idea of taking any sort of conversation to "Barrens", because that's like making anyone that wants to say hello, or have a good convo sit in the back of the bus with the people who just wanna yell and talk about 4chan.

...So my simile didn't make sense! Pahh!

I hope to mainly hear from GMs, since players don't police the chat area.

[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(04-06-2012, 06:03 PM)Rensin Wrote: Adult: This is very self explanatory. Talk about your nasty 18+ stuff here. ONLY if you are 18, however.

Could have sworn that was originally intended for talks involving mortgage...
(04-06-2012, 06:10 PM)Cassius Wrote:
(04-06-2012, 06:03 PM)Rensin Wrote: Adult: This is very self explanatory. Talk about your nasty 18+ stuff here. ONLY if you are 18, however.

Could have sworn that was originally intended for talks involving mortgage...

I do recall a time where Adult was meant to be a chat room for mature discussion and not just 'LUL GENITAL PARTS'.

But I don't know if that's the case any more.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
(04-06-2012, 06:03 PM)Rensin Wrote: I hope to mainly hear from GMs, since players don't police the chat area.

Firstly if you just want GM feedback, normally that would be better for private discussion wouldn't it? Unless the purpose is so that when you get a clear reply it is up for others to see as well.

And I have been -policed- by players telling me when I should go to Barrens before about things even slightly WoW related. Kinda strange it is suddenly a problem when I do it...

Spoiler:
__________$$$$_____$$___$$$$$$_______
_________$$$$$______$$_$_____$$______
________$$$$$_______$$________$______
________$$$$$_______$_______$________
________$$$$$$_____$_______$_________
_________$$$$$$____$______$__________
__________$$$$$$$$_______$___________
__$$$_________$$$$$$$_$$_____________
$$$$$$$_________$$$__________________
_$$$$$$$_________$___________________
__$$$$$$_________$$__________________
___$$$___$_______$$__________________
___________$_____$___________________
_______$$$$_$___$____________________
_____$$$$$$__$_$$____________________
____$$$$$$$___$$_____________________
____$$$$$______$_____________________
____$$$________$_____________________
____$__________$_____________________
_____________$_$_____________________
______________$$_____________________
_______________$_____________________
I intend for -everyone- to see this post though, so that the answer is known not just to me.

Edit: Also, if the experience happened to you where a player did it, then I'm sorry. It's not supposed to be how it goes, though.

As for the adult section, I clarified... but let's be honest, what sort of "Adult mature conversation" should go there that can't be in chat, that isn't sexual or explicit?

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Alright, because yes I would like to know as well as I have always been told that Chat was for Wow/Server related talk.

I have seen people sent away to Barrens for things slightly WoW-related too before.
Spoiler:
Let's not get accusatory.

You got your rules down pat otherwise, Rensin. For anyone else who is confused of the rules, check here: http://wiki.conquestofthehorde.com/Chat

But yes, next time you'd like to ask questions specifically for GMs, you can use the Private Discussion so that other players wouldn't interfere in your thread.

Bear in mind, everyone, is that players shouldn't be policing the chat channels AT ALL. If you see someone breaking chat rules, it's fine to request that the chat be moved elsewhere, but do so politely and civilly. Otherwise, report to GMs ingame.

Added: STOP NINJA POSTING ON ME!! /flail
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
I'm not trying to be accusatory, I'm just saying I have never seen anyone have a problem with non-GMs saying for people to move to Barrens before they called me on it.

But I guess I was in the wrong anyways so...
Spoiler:
..That answers everything. Admittedly (And sadly) the wiki is always the place I assume it will not be, hah. Man, things are different.

And I also phrased it odd, I didn't say I don't want input from others, just that I mainly wish to see what GMs were saying. I wasn't pointing fingers or citing incidents, just that I wanted to know where this stood, as I was curious if it was any different, which it doesn't seem to be.

Glad to see it's basically what I thought.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Politely asking for discussions to be moved is not policing the channel. It's when you become demanding about it or you say someone is breaking server rules when they aren't.

If you do feel you are being policed and not breaking any rules, though, then you can report to us.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
(04-06-2012, 06:27 PM)Rensin Wrote: Admittedly (And sadly) the wiki is always the place I assume it will not be, hah. Man, things are different.

We can't be friends any more, Rensin. Sorry.

Also, a discussion or asking for clarification on a server-wide policy doesn't seem like a bad thing to be public since it affects everyone. Of course, that's with the expectation that people remain civil, discuss the topic at hand, and keep it as impersonal (as in lacking of accusations) as possible.
I was hoping I came off that way, heh. Sorry if I didn't!

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I felt that you did, sir. I felt that you did. I just was providing my own two copper, because my opinion is oh-so-important. Except for when it comes to the usefulness of the wiki, it appears. And the almost 5,000 edits that I've made to try to make it a better resource for players. And my efforts in training others how to do it so that our efforts can combine into awesomeness. Then, apparently, it falls flat.

Like I told Jonoth, I'm considering creating an article on the wiki called the Anti-Rensin Campaign. You done hurt my feelings -- and the wiki's feelings! Now I need to make another hundred edits to soothe the poor thing.
Ack! I'm sorry!

No, really, I'm used to my own laziness with the wiki from the past, where it's like "I can do this!" and then I leave half-youknowwhated projects in there.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I'll admit I only police in LFG if it details too far and washes out my RP. When it does I kindly ask for the discussion to be moved to chat or barrens since I am normally in neither of those channels.

But as far as I'm aware, WoW/server related biz goes in Chat, off topic is Barrens.

Edit: even then I'm not policing since I'm not jumping down throats.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poll : One Jaedyn....TO RULE THEM ALL Valicor 13 1,910 10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Valicor
  Our Keyboarding Rule and You Kretol 26 3,376 06-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Kretol
  Rule on posting videos and external links? Cornholio 6 1,091 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Cornholio
  Campfire Chat Piken 35 6,415 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Last Post: Zunaj
  /chat Question Mike 9 1,395 11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Mike