The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Concerning Horde vs. Alliance
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am appreciating and willing to accept any input or opinions on what I've been lately thinking. I'm still slightly unsure if the point I'm about to make can really be applied to World of Warcraft; but I'd still like to give my opinion and share others on this subject matter. Also, I'd like to note that this thought train of mine has been due to recent issues in term with character deaths and combat. I'll try to keep it short; but no promises.

Lately, you've probably noticed the rise in character death warnings and horde versus alliance roleplaying. Yes, it's all in a fair sense -wether you do or do not weave realism and being in character- going to happen every now and then. Most of the time, the characters involved either are captured, escape, or...die? Well before I can state my opinion, I'd like to go over the concept of character death; more then just backed with rules and server policies. A character's death is more then just a kill for the other character(s); it's probably the end of that person's life. As well all know, death effects both other people and the world that was linked to this character. Rather then the psycological sense, in all truth; killing another living thing is in mortal terms, referred to as "murder". Though murder can be justified or illegal depending on the situation. Now, consider the type of people that murder. Criminals, the mentally ill, military combatents, and etc. In all truth, these people have been trained or don't think normally when it comes to killing another. So, I hope that character death due to an other can and will be considered slaughter for the rest of this post.

Now, moving on to my next thought. The only ones who have truly been engaging lorewise in Horde vs. Alliance are their militarys. Grunts fighting footmen, defias versus stormwind guards, etc. I understand they are at war, and killing the enemy is justified by the national you represent; though as an example: Have you ever heard of an American citizen (let's assume (s)he owns a gun and often goes to a shooting range to practice) killing a taliban terrorist that he saw moving across the street outside his apartment? Even if he could, would he have at least first called the authorities. I note, that the society we live in and the society of Warcraft a different. Though, you must remember; it's the militarys that are at war, not the citizens. Considering that citizens are not serving the government. Though, due in the fact that adventuerors questing in WoW are sometimes drafted by their nations to kill opposing factions and if they did; they would not be charged as a murderer but rather a hero.

Moving on, the mental aspect a character must have by choosing to murder rather then trusting local guards to take care of the enemy. Taking the life of an other, for a normal character (in pardon to all those who would even kill their friends...forsaken) would be a very psycological thing. Murder is often premeditated, an accident, or a random act of violence. So Horde and Alliance members running around killing any of the enemy they come across is both being a vigilante and highly unrealistic in a sense, yah? I understand this changes if say, a Marshal contracted a quester to seek a horde scout and bring him their head. Though, this may be considered differently being that this is the Warcraft world, not Earthern society.

Finally, character death alternatives. Remember: When you kill a character, you've destroyed all the work that player has put into it. That should be the least thing anybody would ever want to do as a good roleplayer; wether realism is applied or not. Remember, most characters are not serving a military of the other faction. In todays world, if a person from the middle-east and person from the west met; they'd most likely get into a verbal arguement, not pull out their rapiers and duel away. Then again, most people in the Warcraft world are trained to fight and kill the enemy; so I understand this is not a very good reinforcement. Though; if you were to come across an enemy; realism would be either: reporting them to guards, fighting them into a KO, capturing/enslavement, running away, ignoring them, etc. Yes? But...murdering? I understand that killing a character under the Horde of Alliance flag is something everybody would consider first for honor or patrionism; but we're roleplayers, alternatives are always another realistic path we can take.

I'm beginning to get my thoughts jumbled and I'd like to start concluding with my final opinion so you may share yours. The Horde and Alliance military's are at war. Simply because you know how to fight is not an excuse to act as a vigilante rather then a citizen. That's what we, as characters are if we are not drafted or working for the military of our nationale. Guilds and clans may have permission to fight for the Horde or Alliance, but in this case: as a roleplayer it is your duty to create a situation and an environment for others to learn from each other. Killing does nothing but benefit your own character, and should always be seen as a last resort; not just something you can do at a wim. I hope I made this clear enough, and I apologize for any offense or harsh feelings that may have been experienced in the simple outlet of what I'm thinking.
The Horde and Alliance tell all able bodied warriors to uphold the Horde and Alliance's war and to keep the Horde or Alliance out of the home territories of the two factions.

Sorry to say it, but animosity is massive between the Horde and Alliance in nearly all ways.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Thank you for clearing that up. Though, that still doesn't cover the means by which to do it; and our duties as roleplayers in how it should be done.
My orc Kathorg slayed a human paladin, Tyranos, in cold blood because he was a human even after he helped us achieve victory at Rtachet in the first battle.
This killing occured because of the animosity Kathorg has for ALL Alliance.
No matter the circumstances almost.
I don't wish to continue any further questions, due to the risk of taking this to a personal level.
Considering how NPC grandma will try to hurl their cleavers when they see you (despite you, say, wearing a 30 tons magic metal armor and wielding an equally impressive weapon) I think we will rule that one out of way to represent the World of Warcraft universe.

RPly speaking; civilians should not be killing their enemies. I think. Perhaps some members of the Horde does (I am still a bit unclear on their mentality since they are rather diverse), but I have the impression an alliance soldier will never kill an enemy civilian. If anything, I don't think they'd kill anyone if they can capture it. (I tend to portray the alliance as more humanist than most of the Horde)

But thing is, your characters are par-default an adventurer, one that wields and seemingly was trained to kill. Unless you decide your character is a baker or dancer or whatever not related to fight - again, it's not too credible because we all seems to be... fighters.

So again, par-default, everyone is hostile to each others.

Doesn't mean mercy wouldn't be involved, depending of cases.
[Image: WoWssignature.png]
Yes, that clears up another part. Yet, I still haven't heard anyone touch on the subject where it's time for us to snap back into in "real" world and establish ourselves as players rather then rely on our characters as excuses for our actions.
As players, it is of my personal opinion that to destroy the work of someone else without his or her consent is bordering the lack of respect... it's a bit like saying "No, you can't play anymore".
That's not roleplaying... Your playing a role a character I mean I don't want my characters to die so I don't go places without a) Protection and B) safe place. I mean Lazarus is supporting as a storytelling in at least half of the Alliance population if he were to die it would be brutal but if he dies then he dies. I don't put him in positions where he can die for nothing. As stated you went outside of STORMWIND... We are at war not on friendly terms, and this is a Roleplaying server I don't mean to be blunt but I may not like to kill an undead player cause I like him but Lazarus is going to smite and kill him because he's undead.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
*shrug a bit* That's why I said personal opinion. To me there's always a limit as to where RP should go and stop in order to keep things fun... but I'm repeating myself, sorry.
If you really want Alliance RP role a human or something there is a lot of RP now on both sides that you shouldn't have to go to the other faction with your character to get RP.
[Image: classic-76561197997915481.png]
Yes, but not all situations go as deep as Paladin vs. Undead; in that case; both players will be going for each others throats; so there's a mutual agreement there. Escape could also be a choice. Though, for the less in-depth things, I think the amounts of character death are outweighing the alternatives that are just as reasonable as escape and death.
Also, I'd like to keep this discussion away from linking to other issues. Risk turning this into a personal arguement rather then a sharing of opinion.
/rant
-WAR- craft
People die in WAR
The Horde and Alliance are at WAR
And to put it simply, I hate character death but then again it happens.
/rantend
Yes it does. Let us remember the original system of PvP in Warcraft involves that death seemingly doesn't exist since you can revive indefinitely as a player. I don't think any game was ever planned to include IC death in their concept, even RP ones. Can you guess why?

Also do I agree, war is synonym to death. There's much more death than prisoners in war.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Horde and the Alliance Wuvvums 14 2,210 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Alliance Worgen vs. Feral Worgen Aadora 9 2,345 05-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Avitz
  Alliance vs. Horde? highwayunicorn 5 1,659 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Last Post: kirilldun
  Bringing back Horde RP Wuvvums 7 1,788 05-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Last Post: Jurkey
  What's the status of Horde RP? [Orc, Troll and Tauren] grembomb 8 1,504 05-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Wuvvums