The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Playing Races [WIP]
I've had an idea for making a guide, that offers suggestions for playing races. Basically, it's an overview for people who might be stumped as how to play a certain race, but cannot quite get a firm grasp of what to play. This will point out what is standard, what can be done, and, in some parts, what is just stereotypical and overdone.

Feel free to elaborate, as this is of course not the infallable truth, just merely my opinions, and hopefully an attempt to aid players.

Horde races!

Ahh. The Horde. I'm writing about the Horde first, because as a lot of people have stated over and over again, there is a major lack in the balance between them and the Alliance. Also, because of that fact, I am going to hold the Belves for last.

Orcs: Orcs, in large, are a very traditional race, that is very shamanistic and primal. They beleive in old gods, fight with fierocity, and should be something that is feared on the battlefield, especially when you are on the opposing end.

Orcs are a race bred in battle, that fought for many things, including their freedom. While they are not the most gentle race, the are the most diplomatic, and tactical within the Horde. Their is a reason, after all, they are the leaders of the Horde in the first place.

Your typical Orc would have a hatred for humans, and the alliance in general. While their may be some antimocity against Blood Elves, they do consider them Allies, because they came together to fight in a common cause.

And, very rarely would an Orc -ever-, -ever- associate with a Night Elf. So rare, that a character that had this in their profile would most likely never be accepted.

Now, this typical Orc could be a shaman, a warrior, what have you, but their ties would most likely be with Thrall's group. such as a Warsong Orc, or so on.

Or, they could be a Frostwolf. Frostwolves are not typically considered part of the Horde, but then again, they have been known to aid their brother Orcs in battle, while fighting a common enemy. Frostwolves are not unfriendly to the Horde, they are just not typically considered a part of it.

Now. A not so typical Orc, would be actually, one like Kretol. Almost every Orc you see is a warrior, trained well in battle. But how many Orcs do you see that want to open a bar? None, 'cept Kretol. BUUUT, think of it this way. Obviously, there are Orcs that do mundane jobs like humans, because they'd have to in a functioning city. Orcs can be vendors, animal trainers, pretty much anything. But noone really plays this, with the exception of Kretol. (Name drop!)

The Stereotype--> The big dumbass who can't spell his name. This is really, really gross, and a good way to get one certain admin on your badside. Seriously. Don't do it.

Trolls: This is one race, for the most part, I love to see played well. Trolls are violent, edgey, and somewhat crazy. They are most of the time, diehard supporters of the Horde, if you play a Darkspear, which I mainly will be talking about since this is what I know, heh.

The Darkspears are much like their Orc allies, except in a few minor details. They used to eat their foes, and they are mistrustful of -too- much mysticism. While they revere Shaman and Witchdoctors, Troll's have a hard time with mages. Yes, there are Troll mages. No, they are not outright shunned. But they are seen as being sort of like a Warlock to humans. They don't talk about it much, and it's a good thing.

Trolls, like Orcs, should -never- be in league with Elves. NOT JUST NIGHT ELVES, but also blood elves. Sure, some of them applaud the killing of Amani Trolls, buuut, for the most part, Trolls see elves as a mutated cousin to themselves. And Trolls hate their cousins. Even those that are still Trolls.

Your typical Troll is a character that wouldn't be particularly witty. Not outright stupid, but more of a layman. Someone who is a normal Joe in the wit department. UNLESS they are a Shaman, or a mage. Then, obviously they'd have to have sort of a clue as to what they are doing. This typical Troll would probably be edgey, grumpy, and mistrustful of all but Orcs, and maybe Tauren.

Your not so typical Troll, would be the old, seasoned guy who is actually quite wise. You almost never see a Troll that acts like this, and that's not a bad thing, because really I think Trolls die from killing eachother more than what we know.

The Stereotype--> You know that annoying guy? The one that's just there to be there? The wallflower? That's the stereotype. Take some action Trolls! Quit being so damn timid.

Tauren: This is going to sound biased, since they are really my favorite race. Buuut, here we go.

Tauren are a very traditional, very spiritual race. This by no means means they are a timid, flower loving hippy race, it means that their roots go about as deep as Orcs, if not more, I dare say. They are primal, nature centric creatures, that love their Earthmother to the point of defending her from anyone that may desecrate her organic beauty.

Despite the fact that they care for nature, this does not mean that all Tauren love peace. They have many warriors, that fight against the Alliance and Scourge. They have a strong hatred for Goblins, too, due to the fact that like Gnomes and Dwarves, they disrespect the land by building smoke spewing machines, dredge up the ground to find "Treasure", and polute sources of water, and wildlife.

Your typical Tauren would be an easy going nature lover, who in all right would protect this love. She'd be a strong believer in the hunt, and in the Earthmother. They'd not be a weakling capable of doing nothing but dancing and sniffing flowers, but rather a being that lives to pro

((Oy, I'll finish this when I get sleep. I've got a lot to write here, sooo, it's probably best to do it when I'm functioning. Input is always welcome, but since this is based off lore, and loose opinions, I don't want people to go and argue my work. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING IS WRONG. I accept constructive criticism, that's not based on speculation alone. Especially the stereotypes, heh. We all know they are true.))
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

A good stereotype for Taurens would be the "Big, lumbering guy who constantly shouts "Me Smash! Raaargh!""

This is pretty good, but it would be even better with some expansion. Maybe another paragraph or two, whatev's

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Quote:one certain admin

And it isn't even me.

Also, on Trolls, they're still bitter that the Elves destroyed the Gurubashi and almost caused their race to go extinct. In fact, they hate Elves because they're the only race the Trolls have ever encountered that could be as brutal as they themselves.
Now this seems like an awesome thing.
Maulbane Wrote:A good stereotype for Taurens would be the "Big, lumbering guy who constantly shouts "Me Smash! Raaargh!"
Or the treehugging concept that does nothing else than talking of flowers.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
I can already imagine people calling Forsaken: "Living undead, or zombies who eat brains."
[Image: 124dk.jpg]
((This is gonna take longer than expected, what with the new Sin'Saken, or the The Sin'sholai as they call 'em. I might put this on the backburner for a more another guide, that won't take as long to write.))

Rikhard Wrote:I can already imagine people calling Forsaken: "Living undead, or zombies who eat brains."

((Hah, that's actually something I'd like to see. The ugly character that noone should play is the lovable eRP filled Forsaken that can go anywhere because it's friendly. Yeeees, that has happened... a lot.))

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(I glisten, do you?)
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Maulbane Wrote:A good stereotype for Taurens would be the "Big, lumbering guy who constantly shouts "Me Smash! Raaargh!""

This is pretty good, but it would be even better with some expansion. Maybe another paragraph or two, whatev's

This is totally wrong. A good stereotype for the Tauren is a calm and wise humanoid with the younger ones a tad naive and the elder Taurens speaking words of wisdom and sharing their stories with the younger tribesmen. When playing with Tauren you should keep the words: Peaceful, Patient, Kind and Family in the back of your mind. When as a Tauren playing with other races you should think of the words: Hold back, Curious, Kind and Sharing in the back of you mind.
In battle the words: Strong, unagile and tactical.
The Tauren are ANYTHING BUT the GRAAGH ME SMASSH! Type. They are intelligent and caring.
Proud Rotten Apples Fan
Mike, the stereotypes listed are that of the ones played on the server, which are wrong, it is to show how it is not supposed to be.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

((The stereotypes I have in place are not good ones, they are the terrible ones that you see people play on retail. Playing a Peaceful, Patient, Kind Tauren is a good thing. However, it's also nice to see a warrior Tauren, that actually takes the war with as much serious zeal as any other true Horde. If the Tauren were -competely- peaceful, they'd lack Warriors and possibly Hunters too.))

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

< -Feels really stupid right now :oops:
Proud Rotten Apples Fan
Piken Wrote:(I glisten, do you?)

Oh, it glistens. Do you know what else glistens? Death Knights.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What races would actually become a Death Knight? Samlock 4 1,660 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Dae
  Sub-races and why We don't need to CMC them Thoradin 38 8,522 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Rating Bad Guys Role Playing Wise: Brutalskars 8 1,522 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Last Post: McKnighter
  Races and Mounts requiem225 10 2,406 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
  Races... useless? Aadora 62 10,057 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM