The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Recent events.
Amazing, for once I didn't make a hilarious pun for a topic title.

Anyway, this thread is about recent events. I've been watching all the events, player and GM, going by, and a melancholic realisation crosses my mind over the course of a month, few weeks, pick yours... Really, it's that the events aren't pushing the boundaries of fantasy, if that made any sense whatsoever. No insults intended from here on, by the way. It's just, I can picture most of the story arcs in real life. I can replace Blood Elves with Humans in my mind, for example, and while it's an AMAZINGLY well executed storyline it's very realistic. Not the "Gravity pulls things down" realistic, mind you, which is good.

I suppose all of this is a roundabout way of saying "What's happened to the WORLD of Warcraft?" There are tens of dozens of species and races out there, two dozen or so regions on the three continents, which are part of two entire worlds. And while I know most of those races don't have much lore, what stops us from giving them some? Ogres, Gnolls, Murlocs, Centaur, Kobolds. . . All of these creatures hold a pivotal role in Warcraft, without them the Lich King would be toppled, Kil'jaeden would be a pile of dust and the Emerald Nightmare would probably be the Emerald Peaceful Sleep. It feels to me that if I replace the races participating in events with Humans of different countries we could easily be role-playing a different-looking Earth with some men in Rat costumes saying "You no take candle!"

It's hard to eloquently explain what I'm trying to say here. I guess it's that the events we've been doing can easily be transferred into real life with little to no trouble translating it, and it seems that most of us (Me included, as well) aren't trying hard enough to separate the two worlds.

For example, there is a group of Ogres in Feralas that have control of most of Dire Maul. What stops them from packing up their things and going on the Warpath?

The Silithids in the Field of Giants haven't been checked for a long time, as far as I can tell. Who can properly say they haven't been multiplying, and want to eat our brains?

Feral Crocolisks?

The insects on the Swarming Pillar decide to migrate?

Maybe even the Twilight's Hammer begins some even shadier operations...?

It's just I believe that the races that truly make it the World of Warcraft have been neglected for a while, and if all the events, as they have been, are set solely around the player races then it can quickly become an only slightly more fantastical representation of real life. The Tauren can, without any trouble, be switched to Native Americans, Forsaken have widely German-styled architecture, Humans are Humans. . . So on and so on. While we give all of these races depth and even more character than their lore (Which is bursting at the seams) already gives them, all of these others races remain as with as thin depth as cardboard cookies.

Keep in mind this is a semi-rant initiated after a great epiphany, so if I make no sense shout at me. Sometimes you need to.

-Maulbane, keeping it unreal.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Amazing, for once I didn't make a hilarious pun for a topic title.

Anyway, this thread is about recent events. I've been watching all the events, player and GM, going by, and a melancholic realisation crosses my mind over the course of a month, few weeks, pick yours... Really, it's that the events aren't pushing the boundaries of fantasy, if that made any sense whatsoever. No insults intended from here on, by the way. It's just, I can picture most of the story arcs in real life. I can replace Blood Elves with Humans in my mind, for example, and while it's an AMAZINGLY well executed storyline it's very realistic. Not the "Gravity pulls things down" realistic, mind you, which is good.

I suppose all of this is a roundabout way of saying "What's happened to the WORLD of Warcraft?" There are tens of dozens of species and races out there, two dozen or so regions on the three continents, which are part of two entire worlds. And while I know most of those races don't have much lore, what stops us from giving them some? Ogres, Gnolls, Murlocs, Centaur, Kobolds. . . All of these creatures hold a pivotal role in Warcraft, without them the Lich King would be toppled, Kil'jaeden would be a pile of dust and the Emerald Nightmare would probably be the Emerald Peaceful Sleep. It feels to me that if I replace the races participating in events with Humans of different countries we could easily be role-playing a different-looking Earth with some men in Rat costumes saying "You no take candle!"

It's hard to eloquently explain what I'm trying to say here. I guess it's that the events we've been doing can easily be transferred into real life with little to no trouble translating it, and it seems that most of us (Me included, as well) aren't trying hard enough to separate the two worlds.

For example, there is a group of Ogres in Feralas that have control of most of Dire Maul. What stops them from packing up their things and going on the Warpath?

The Silithids in the Field of Giants haven't been checked for a long time, as far as I can tell. Who can properly say they haven't been multiplying, and want to eat our brains?

Feral Crocolisks?

The insects on the Swarming Pillar decide to migrate?

Maybe even the Twilight's Hammer begins some even shadier operations...?

It's just I believe that the races that truly make it the World of Warcraft have been neglected for a while, and if all the events, as they have been, are set solely around the player races then it can quickly become an only slightly more fantastical representation of real life. The Tauren can, without any trouble, be switched to Native Americans, Forsaken have widely German-styled architecture, Humans are Humans. . . So on and so on. While we give all of these races depth and even more character than their lore (Which is bursting at the seams) already gives them, all of these others races remain as with as thin depth as cardboard cookies.

Keep in mind this is a semi-rant initiated after a great epiphany, so if I make no sense shout at me. Sometimes you need to.

-Maulbane, keeping it unreal.

Move him into the sun—

I'd actually really love to see a lot of bigger events happening in the world, but that would likely require a larger staff than we have now, and not everything would be used, which is OK, but with the staff we have now it's better to deal with what most directly effects our RP.

Now, Silithid swarm on the move would be win. :D Even if it was only an event that attracted NPC attention.
[Image: Signature.png]
I'd actually really love to see a lot of bigger events happening in the world, but that would likely require a larger staff than we have now, and not everything would be used, which is OK, but with the staff we have now it's better to deal with what most directly effects our RP.

Now, Silithid swarm on the move would be win. :D Even if it was only an event that attracted NPC attention.
[Image: Signature.png]
Indeed, more massive world-changes require more staff, and risk bending lore just for event-fun.

However, a point being made was also not on the size of the developments, but on the nature of the developments, and I'd add a bit of focus on the following:

There's Magic!
Magic (and the paranormal) has been the most aaaam-asing cop-out tool (in a good way) in the history of writing to achieve remarkable situations. It's literally limited just by imagination (and a wee bit of theoretical knowledge on its nature) and could provide the means to implement any "What if?" you can imagine.

So yeah, I'd invite the GMs to more gratuitously use magic as a means to make plots fun.

Massive magical accidents (for example) are win, forcing you into new RP and fun.
....Especially if everyone at the event turned into talking plainstriders for a couple of days.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
Indeed, more massive world-changes require more staff, and risk bending lore just for event-fun.

However, a point being made was also not on the size of the developments, but on the nature of the developments, and I'd add a bit of focus on the following:

There's Magic!
Magic (and the paranormal) has been the most aaaam-asing cop-out tool (in a good way) in the history of writing to achieve remarkable situations. It's literally limited just by imagination (and a wee bit of theoretical knowledge on its nature) and could provide the means to implement any "What if?" you can imagine.

So yeah, I'd invite the GMs to more gratuitously use magic as a means to make plots fun.

Massive magical accidents (for example) are win, forcing you into new RP and fun.
....Especially if everyone at the event turned into talking plainstriders for a couple of days.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
Not even world-changing things, but more involving the uninvolved things in the world. There hasn't been an event by the GMs with any race except the playable ones since Stromgarde, and that was just Ogres that played a side-role.

It's simply that I think TOO much effort is put into the races we already have (literally) books of information on. I doubt Blizzard will ever develop the tiny group of Gnolls in Mulgore, for example, so why not give them character?

Or something else. Hopefully my point isn't washed away in my bad explanation.

Move him into the sun—

Not even world-changing things, but more involving the uninvolved things in the world. There hasn't been an event by the GMs with any race except the playable ones since Stromgarde, and that was just Ogres that played a side-role.

It's simply that I think TOO much effort is put into the races we already have (literally) books of information on. I doubt Blizzard will ever develop the tiny group of Gnolls in Mulgore, for example, so why not give them character?

Or something else. Hopefully my point isn't washed away in my bad explanation.

Move him into the sun—

This should be merged with my idea in the Roleplay Ideas Forum or the Suggestions Forums. Forgot.

But yeah, please. I want a dynamic world, too.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
This should be merged with my idea in the Roleplay Ideas Forum or the Suggestions Forums. Forgot.

But yeah, please. I want a dynamic world, too.
[Image: 2r3hym9.png]
Main Characters:
Riggs Ravenhook - Swarmy Old Goblin Thief and Corporate Nuisance
Gorudo Goldforge - Goldforge Clan Remnant and Ranger
Turic Carsten - Stormwind Regular

http://diethe.deviantart.com/
I've actually got an idea for an event that revolves around Outland that's currently being discussed with the GMs. Keep an eye open in Event Planning, you'll get a sneak peek. ;)
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I've actually got an idea for an event that revolves around Outland that's currently being discussed with the GMs. Keep an eye open in Event Planning, you'll get a sneak peek. ;)
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Hawk Wrote:I've actually got an idea for an event that revolves around Outland that's currently being discussed with the GMs. Keep an eye open in Event Planning, you'll get a sneak peek. ;)

Does it have Felboars...?

FEEELBOOOARRRSSS?

[Image: 200px-Domefelboar.JPG]

Move him into the sun—

Hawk Wrote:I've actually got an idea for an event that revolves around Outland that's currently being discussed with the GMs. Keep an eye open in Event Planning, you'll get a sneak peek. ;)

Does it have Felboars...?

FEEELBOOOARRRSSS?

[Image: 200px-Domefelboar.JPG]

Move him into the sun—

And let's not forget murlocs. Everyone hates murlocs. Murlocs love everywhere with water. Lakes, seas, rivers, batht-

SO I was thinking, what's being done about the murlocs? You get the odd quest to go out and tank 'n spank a few, then come back with some fins, collect eyes, etc., but has there ever been any REAL martial movement towards them? Now that I think about it, it seems rediculous. They EAT people, for lack of a more eloquent phrase. So, why don't we walk over and kick a few in the head?

This being that they are a little taller than gnomes, with none of the brainpower.

...I'm sure IC'ly a group of...say 5-10 people could wipe out entire tribes. Well-armed, that is. Murlocs are famous for the fashioning of sharp sticks (DISCLAIMER: Murlocs have been charged with no such allegations.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporary characters for events Dae 8 1,943 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Kage
  Why can't anyone but the GMs and FHs make big events? Ormica 36 4,490 10-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Last Post: Geoni
  GM-Looking for Storylines/events. Cressy 6 1,512 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Kenshiro
  About all the recent drama. Roxas65 3 1,303 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Tharion
  In the light of recent events Loxmardin 63 10,064 04-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Azheron